The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

How does this work? Would they move cozens to wing and scratch one of the 4th liners? I don't see it, even for a few games to start the season
McLeod seems more like a winger than c on a good team.
Cozens can move to wing if Helenius becomes elite.

If Helenius body is ready he will quickly adapt to the nhl. I'd prefer if he developed his offense at a lower level first but if we look at him as more of a bottom 6 center he could be our best one this autumn.

I'm happy we got Lafferty and McLeod is good insurance.

Reactions: KeepKane

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
McLeod seems more like a winger than c on a good team.
Cozens can move to wing if Helenius becomes elite.

If Helenius body is ready he will quickly adapt to the nhl. I'd prefer if he developed his offense at a lower level first but if we look at him as more of a bottom 6 center he could be our best one this autumn.

I'm happy we got Lafferty and McLeod is good insurance.
Could be fine, but he won't be elite for likely 3 years. This is not a try out prospects on NHL roster year, they are callups from AHL.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Could be fine, but he won't be elite for likely 3 years. This is not a try out prospects on NHL roster year, they are callups from AHL.
It's a possibility that he shows that he's our third best center in camp.
Benson didn't hurt the team last year.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Eh I think Greenway can keep up just fine and MAK would be the odd man out but it doesn't really matter because Helenius is not making the team and Krebs will be 13th forward. If they pull a prospect for injury, Krebs will still be the 13th forward while the youngin gets ice time.

Maybe Greenway gets moved if they decide to add cap and need a little breathing room or at the deadline if they don't want to resign him.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Why riot if Helenius and McLeod are better at center than Cozens or Thompson if it means they are better as a team and it's not because Cozens or Thompson are bad, but Helenius and McLeod are that good?
There is not really a scenario that a rookie 17 year old drafted 14th enters the league as a successful 2nd line center year one. We know Mcleod is NOT a top 6 player short of some revelation or wizardry. Thompson Cozens will be 1/2, because they did not acquire a top 6 C. Kulich and Rosen will take preference as its make or break for them soon. Helenius will have to outperform Benson's camp last year by a significant margin. Even then, Benson got in due to injuries.

Cozens on wing is a surplus situation where you brought in say Kadri and Cozens can play wing. Him being beat out by either of those two is bad. We WANT Cozens to be our 2C long term.

Or Cozens/Thompson is injured.

Either way Helenius isn't even likely to beat out Krebs for a spot. Just forget the idea of him making the team. It will never happen.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
There is not really a scenario that a rookie 17 year old drafted 14th enters the league as a successful 2nd line center year one. We know Mcleod is NOT a top 6 player short of some revelation or wizardry. Thompson Cozens will be 1/2, because they did not acquire a top 6 C. Kulich and Rosen will take preference as its make or break for them soon. Helenius will have to outperform Benson's camp last year by a significant margin. Even then, Benson got in due to injuries.

Cozens on wing is a surplus situation where you brought in say Kadri and Cozens can play wing. Him being beat out by either of those two is bad. We WANT Cozens to be our 2C long term.

Either way Helenius isn't even likely to beat out Krebs for a spot. Just forget the idea of him making the team. It will never happen.
I'm just chalking this idea up as August talk lol

Reactions: Jacob582

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Eh I think Greenway can keep up just fine and MAK would be the odd man out but it doesn't really matter because Helenius is not making the team and Krebs will be 13th forward. If they pull a prospect for injury, Krebs will still be the 13th forward while the youngin gets ice time.

Maybe Greenway gets moved if they decide to add cap and need a little breathing room or at the deadline if they don't want to resign him.
I don't agree that Krebs is permanent 13th forward. He has an opportunity in training camp to be in the top 12 even without any injuries. More likely with injuries.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I could see a scenario where Helenius looks like Patrice Bergeron 2.0 in camp and they push McLeod up to play on the second line with Cozens with either McLeod or Cozens moving to the wing.

McLeod did play in the top 6 in Edmonton a fair bit last season.

Capture.PNG

21% of his minutes last year were with Draisaitl.

I expect Helenius to start the year in Rochester. But, if he is on the opening night roster, it is either because there were injuries that open the door or he is just so good that they can't send him down. Neither case is a reason to riot to me.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I could see a scenario where Helenius looks like Patrice Bergeron 2.0 in camp and they push McLeod up to play on the second line with Cozens with either McLeod or Cozens moving to the wing.

McLeod did play in the top 6 in Edmonton a fair bit last season.

View attachment 898734

21% of his minutes last year were with Draisaitl.

I expect Helenius to start the year in Rochester. But, if he is on the opening night roster, it is either because there were injuries that open the door or he is just so good that they can't send him down. Neither case is a reason to riot to me.
Can we just have a conversation rooted in reality and not fantasy land? Benson probably takes until next year before he could be a true 2nd liner. Mcleod was pushed out by Adam Henrique. He was still an RFA. He was their 4C if he stayed.

I'm just chalking this idea up as August talk lol
It would appear so.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Can we just have a conversation rooted in reality and not fantasy land? Benson probably takes until next year before he could be a true 2nd liner. Mcleod was pushed out by Adam Henrique. He was still an RFA. He was their 4C if he stayed.
It's the dead part of the offseason. If now isn't the time to have theoretical conversations about what could happen, when is?

Or, is it only the time to think to have theoretical conversations about what could happen if it is negative and it is something to "riot" about?

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
It's the dead part of the offseason. If now isn't the time to have theoretical conversations about what could happen, when is?

Or, is it only the time to think to have theoretical conversations about what could happen if it is negative and it is something to "riot" about?
Theoretical implies there is a possibility that it could exist. Helenius or Mcleod making 2C will not happen. Benson got lucky to even be in the NHL.
There is a conversation about if Helenius makes the team and people are talking about it. They are allowed to have it, geesh
Where? 4C? Press box? You already have Krebs without a roster spot and Kulich/Rosen at the door. having a conversation about Helenius making the team is not the same conversation as being a 2C as a rookie lol.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
There is absolutely a possibility that Helenius or McLeod impress Ruff enough that they slide Thompson or Cozens to the wing.
Do you hear yourself? Slide Thompson to the wing? For a 3/4C cast off who was benched in the finals or a 17 year old rookie who hasn't played in North America? Did we draft the next McDavid and I missed it?

You can't actually believe Mcleod or Helenius can unseat Cozens for 2C? I am just going to pretend the Tage remark was a mistake we know he is not a winger.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
In Ruff’s previous stint with the Sabres, he liked to have center versatility.

In 1999, Peca, Brown, Holzinger, Primeau, Juneau, Barnes, and Rasmussen all were centers or could play center.

In 2006, Briere, Drury, Roy, Connolly, Gaustad, and Hecht were centers or could play center.

It’s a good think if Ruff has Thompson, Cozens, McLeod, Lafferty, and Krebs who can play center. If Helenius makes it, even better.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Do you hear yourself? Slide Thompson to the wing? For a 3/4C cast off who was benched in the finals or a 17 year old rookie who hasn't played in North America? Did we draft the next McDavid and I missed it?

You can't actually believe Mcleod or Helenius can unseat Cozens for 2C? I am just going to pretend the Tage remark was a mistake we know he is not a winger.
I think there are a lot of options on the table with the new head coach that you may not expect right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00