The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Someone, please explain why we would buy out Skinner and then trade for Laine. This would be beyond hilarious. Skinner may be the better player right now. He is not as injury-prone. No substance problems. He drives some offence five-on-five. Taking Skinner's cap penalty and then trading for Laine (let alone giving up prospects( would be one of the most Sabres things ever.
Laine is faster and he backchecks. I do not want Laine, but that is why people would prefer him over Skinner.

Also he doesn't have any substance abuse issues. He went into the player assistance program due to mental health, not addiction afaik.

Last edited:
Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Laine is faster and he backchecks. I do not want Laine, but that is why people would prefer him over Skinner.

Also he doesn't have any substance abuse issues. He went into the player assistance program due to mental health, not addiction afaik.
Any player that could not adhere to torts system likely would not adhere to Ruff’s system

Yes he scores goals if you play his way. Not a good fit

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021

Maybe he will be happy here but past says no

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Sabres seem to be going for speed, and jettisoning anybody who doesn’t fit that profile. Mitts wasn’t the swiftest and he’s gone. Skinner spent last season looking like he was skating through mud and he’s gone. Most of the UFA adds and trades have been for top percentile speed guys. Really only a few guys left on the roster that don’t have at least average to slightly above average speed.

Laine seems like a much faster skater to me than Skinner from my viewings.
skinner.PNG

Laine.PNG

Laine didn't play much last season, but his top speed in a game was slower than Skinner's last season.

He did have a lot more bursts though given that he was roughly 2 per game and Skinner had 8 all season.

Maybe he will be happy here but past says no
I don't know that I would bet on Laine being happier here than in Columbus.

:dunno:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Didn’t know that about VO- not playing like shit woulda helped his case.

Don’t see it, personally. Dude has had a lot of chances to prove himself and has always proven mercurial at best. Wasn’t showing much before a knee injury that can really hamper guys. I hope I’m wrong, but we’ll see. Interesting how both he and William got knocked for “lack of effort”, but whereas Willie has enough talent to seemingly improve that concern, Alex is just the other side of it so far.
11 goals in 23 games last year. Thats a 47 goal pace. We will see if that was a fluke.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

Laine back checks? In what world? I apologize if he doesn't have an addiction issue, but Laine is high-risk. If it's not politica correct to say so, I don't know what to say, but it's a fact. I'd rather have Skinner, factoring in cap hit we will pay. It makes zero sense to get Laine. Whatever his issues, he's been going downhill for years and at a faster clip than Skinner.

I have yet to hear any explanation from someone saying the Sabres should be in on Laine explain to me like I am a 5 year old how Laine's strengths and weaknesses are all that different than Skinner.

The most I get is that Laine is younger and taller than Skinner.

Sorry, but that doesn't change my mind that Laine is not a fit with what Lindy seems to want given the Skinner buyout and the moves they have made at forward so far this offseason.

That's the other issue. The other got rid of Skinner for money or Ruff didn't want him. Not sure How Laine fits with Ruff. I hope he scores 50 goals and has a great comeback. I don't see it. And the idea of prospects for him and his cap hit is horrible.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Laine back checks? In what world? I apologize if he doesn't have an addiction issue, but Laine is high-risk. If it's not politica correct to say so, I don't know what to say, but it's a fact. I'd rather have Skinner, factoring in cap hit we will pay. It makes zero sense to get Laine. Whatever his issues, he's been going downhill for years and at a faster clip than Skinner.

That's the other issue. The other got rid of Skinner for money or Ruff didn't want him. Not sure How Laine fits with Ruff. I hope he scores 50 goals and has a great comeback. I don't see it. And the idea of prospects for him and his cap hit is horrible.
I'm this current world that we live in? I said flat out said I don't want Laine either, but saying his defensive effort is the same as Skinner's is laughable. It's not close.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
I'm this current world that we live in? I said flat out said I don't want Laine either, but saying his defensive effort is the same as Skinner's is laughable.

From the article” Laine isn’t just defensively limited; he’s one of the worst defensive players in the NHL. That might seem harsh, but I argue it might not be severe enough. In Evolving-Hockey’s Goals Above Replacement and Expected Goals Above Replacement, he’s among the worst forwards in the forward – scoring in the fifth percentile last season and the fourth over the past three.“

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

From the article” Laine isn’t just defensively limited; he’s one of the worst defensive players in the NHL. That might seem harsh, but I argue it might not be severe enough. In Evolving-Hockey’s Goals Above Replacement and Expected Goals Above Replacement, he’s among the worst forwards in the forward – scoring in the fifth percentile last season and the fourth over the past three.“
Now do Skinner. This is also ignoring the fact that my original claim was simply Laine backchecked, not that he was good defensively. Simply better than Skinner who is allergic to crossing the Centre line if it means heading to his own zone.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
View attachment 897756

View attachment 897757

Laine didn't play much last season, but his top speed in a game was slower than Skinner's last season.

He did have a lot more bursts though given that he was roughly 2 per game and Skinner had 8 all season.

Looking at the prior season 22-23 with a bit larger sample size.

1722310895929.png

1722310972474.png

Shows a higher top end speed for Laine, and an actually crazy high number of 20+ mph bursts considering he only played 55 games. He hit the 76th percentile for all forwards (most of which played a full season). I think it's clear that Laine is faster and uses his speed way more in games. This matches my eye test as well.

The big issue is his health. He's had 2 injury shortened seasons back-to-back, and prior to that 2 COVID shortened seasons. He hasn't played a full healthy season in 5 years. It would be a gamble for sure.

Last edited:

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I would have no problem trading for Laine but they aren't getting a 1st or a top prospect.

I am not sure anyone will pay the price so he will be in Columbus in my opinion

Reactions: KrakenSabresMike

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Didn't see it posted on here but this was interesting. Guess it's more than speculation saying people don't want to come here

And in other news, the sky is blue. :sarcasm:

But seriously, I know some posters don't want to believe that Buffalo is at a disadvantage when it comes attracting players, and they blame having a poor record as the only reason a player won't sign here, but even when the team has been good in the past, they just don't draw exceptional free agents and they even have difficulty retaining their own UFAs.

People shouldn't feel slighted, as most of the small market teams in the league suffer from the same fate to some extent. A winning record generally helps teams attract an extra middling free agent here or there, but it is way less of a game changer than most think.

The real difference maker is having a player (or two) that everyone legitimately wants to play with. Dahlin is a great talent, but he just isn't a guy players are lining up around the league to come to a small market to play with.

The Crosby's, MacKinnons, and McDavids of the league are the real great equalizers for small market teams. Having guys like Drury or Briere is nice, but it isn't quite enough, especially when they themselves have their eyes on greener pastures.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
And in other news, the sky is blue. :sarcasm:

But seriously, I know some posters don't want to believe that Buffalo is at a disadvantage when it comes attracting players, and they blame having a poor record as the only reason a player won't sign here, but even when the team has been good in the past, they just don't draw exceptional free agents and they even have difficulty retaining their own UFAs.

People shouldn't feel slighted, as most of the small market teams in the league suffer from the same fate to some extent. A winning record generally helps teams attract an extra middling free agent here or there, but it is way less of a game changer than most think.

The real difference maker is having a player (or two) that everyone legitimately wants to play with. Dahlin is a great talent, but he just isn't a guy players are lining up around the league to come to a small market to play with.

The Crosby's, MacKinnons, and McDavids of the league are the real great equalizers for small market teams. Having guys like Drury or Briere is nice, but it isn't quite enough, especially when they themselves have their eyes on greener pastures.
Buffalo is for sure not the top destination, but Necas didn't want to sign a long term deal with anyone including the canes.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
xB discord
He's also said it on Twitter in response to ATW (I think it was Peters) saying that the Sabres were talking to the Canes and Necas wouldn't sign in Buffalo.

He said that the Sabres were talking with Carolina about a player other than Necas and they had no need to deal with Carolina after the McLeod trade. So, some people assumed that Adams offered Savoie for Drury and Carolina passed.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Didn't see it posted on here but this was interesting. Guess it's more than speculation saying people don't want to come here

Based on the contract he signed, it seems more like he wanted to hit UFA no matter what. I wouldn’t take it as a slight to Buffalo. He wouldn’t extend with Carolina either (or any other team they were shopping him to).

He’s betting on himself and wants a big pay day.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
View attachment 897756

View attachment 897757

Getting Laine after buying out Skinner really would just show hw clueless management is unless there was significant retention.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Should rosen not be in the NHL soon ? Or is he busting ?
I don't think there is room for him. He is more or less cut from Savoie's prospect type. He is depth. Kulich probably has the advantage unless he can't perform in camp. Even then there isn't an opening night spot available for a prospect.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Doesn't look like Necas has any no trade clause. It wouldn't look good, but it seems like Carolina could still trade him.

Reactions: Faceboner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad