The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Didn't see it posted on here but this was interesting. Guess it's more than speculation saying people don't want to come here

Thats what I thought, that they had a big deal but couldn't/didn't pull the trigger for some reason.
Maybe also connected to the trade down from 11 to 14, otherwise I don't see the logic of trading the pick 2 days before the draft.

Fwiw Chad D thinks Seravalli is completely off on this and apparently Frank was making a lot of assumptions when talking about this on his podcast. Wouldn't take it as gospel.
well Chad isn't a gospel either so they kinda cancel each other out

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

How does this work? Would they move cozens to wing and scratch one of the 4th liners? I don't see it, even for a few games to start the season
I think this is Olli pumping up his guy and not an educated take based on the Sabres depth chart.

Realistically, it would likely be Lafferty moving to the wing.

munkyhead8

Jul 9, 2010
I think this is Olli pumping up his guy and not an educated take based on the Sabres depth chart.

Realistically, it would likely be Lafferty moving to the wing.
It would need to be a heck of a string of injuries to make sense. Even then, I wouldn't want to see it go beyond the 10 games. We need to let these kids develop and him running the 4th line doesn't seem like an ideal fit.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Again, I think this is Olli pumping his tires.

I highly doubt he's ready to push Tage or Cozens to the wing.
Even if its not Olli pumping his tires (which I agree that it is) its a pretty crowded roster. You don't want to play the kid 4th line minutes and you just gave up a huge asset to get McCleod.

If he forced the Sabres hand and made the team like Benson, I can only see him as the 3rd center with McCleod moving to the 4th line. And, as you mentioned, Lafferty would become a winger.

What happens to Krebs and Greenway?

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
Benson-Cozens-Quinn
Zucker-Helenius-Lafferty
Malenstyn-McCleod-Aube Kubel

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Even if its not Olli pumping his tires (which I agree that it is) its a pretty crowded roster. You don't want to play the kid 4th line minutes and you just gave up a huge asset to get McCleod.

If he forced the Sabres hand and made the team like Benson, I can only see him as the 3rd center with McCleod moving to the 4th line. And, as you mentioned, Lafferty would become a winger.

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
Benson-Cozens-Quinn
Zucker-Helenius-Lafferty
Benson only forced his way onto the roster due to the injury to Quinn, Adams not adding anyone to replace him, and then Savoie's injury in camp opening the door wide open for Benson to walk through.

Could there be two injuries at center that open the door for Helenius? Sure. But, I wouldn't count on that happening.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Benson only forced his way onto the roster due to the injury to Quinn, Adams not adding anyone to replace him, and then Savoie's injury in camp opening the door wide open for Benson to walk through.

Could there be two injuries at center that open the door for Helenius? Sure. But, I wouldn't count on that happening.
I don't know if that assumption is fair to Benson. Would he have pushed through a stacked roster? Maybe not but he certainly never looked out of place and there were much worse players on the roster that would be replaced before Benson.

There was an opportunity and ZB grabbed it by the cajones. He forced his way onto the roster as apposed to cliche of being forced onto the roster.

E: I don't think Helenius will be in the November lineup unless there's a mozzarella string of injuries.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't know if that assumption is fair to Benson. Would he have pushed through a stacked roster? Maybe not but he certainly never looked out of place and there were much worse players on the roster that would be replaced before Benson.

There was an opportunity and ZB grabbed it by the cajones. He forced his way onto the roster as apposed to cliche of being forced onto the roster.

E: I don't think Helenius will be in the November lineup unless there's a mozzarella string of injuries.
I would bet money that if Quinn had been healthy that Benson would have gone back to junior with Savoie last season.

KeepKane

May 6, 2015

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch
Benson-Cozens-Quinn
Zucker-Helenius-Lafferty
If that were to happen I'm thinking more like this lineup..

Peterka-TT-Tuch
Benson-Cozens-Quinn
Zucker-Helenius-McCleod
Malenstyn-Lafferty-Greenway
x NAK

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I would bet money that if Quinn had been healthy that Benson would have gone back to junior with Savoie last season.
Maybe. There were several other beatable guys on the roster though so I guess I just disagree that it was based solely on Quinn and Savoie injuries. Add to that Benson played the full season, there was no talk of him returning to the W after the season started.

I don't know who would see that coming, much less expect a not-top pick with small stature to make an NHL club out of camp and be productive. The most likely scenario is that Benson simply played his way onto the team and never gave them a reason to balk. We shouldn't diminish that feat

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
If that were to happen I'm thinking more like this lineup..

Peterka-TT-Tuch
Benson-Cozens-Quinn
Zucker-Helenius-McCleod
Malenstyn-Lafferty-Greenway
x NAK
Maybe. Personally, I think McCleod is wasted on the wing. We paid a premium asset for a defensive center not another winger. I can also see Greenway being ahead of NAK on the depth chart, but I think he just isn't a good fit without speed. Actually, I don't like him on the third line with McCleod at C either for the same reason.

Greenway was a Granato guy. He brings size, some physicality and defensive chops, but I tend to not like him in any of the lineups I envision. He doesn't have the speed to match the bottom 6 nor the offensive prowess to match the top 6.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Why would anyone want him before or now?

Hes s 2 yt rental now so hrs at the UFA to be price.

Could he be s mid season acquisition with intent to sign an extension in the summer

It helped by Quinn injury and savoie injury that benson made the team. Going in I think one F spot was open to competition
Isn't he younger than Benson was? It is not worth it, send him to AHL let him be a callup in injuries competing with Rosen.
I'd rather have him play in the AHL to start the season.

I'd rather give time to Rosen at nhl level to start thr season

If you hold him off a yr ELC+2 yr br take him to tage contract end point

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Rather konsta play top 6 c in Rochester he might be ready for the NHL but seasoning him and pushing him for more offense would be better he has solid upside for a mid six two way c but he has a good offensive skillset base if we could get him to hone in on it more we might be able to turn him into an eventual bonafide matchup scoring top six c like an aho or hischier and bringing him along slowly we might be able to get him on a longer cheaper deal like a 4.5 for six years

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
If they need a center to slot in, I think Jiri will get the first shot
Not sure I would like this, he still has a lot to learn at the AHL level as a center.
Still think he would be better suited as a winger & wouldnt mind seeing him called up as such.
Not sure Jiris game is matured enough to handle bottom6 C duty especially with their changed identity to a more D responsible approach.

Reactions: Jacob582

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Not sure I would like this, he still has a lot to learn at the AHL level as a center.
Still think he would be better suited as a winger & wouldnt mind seeing him called up as such.
Not sure Jiris game is matured enough to handle bottom6 C duty especially with their changed identity to a more D responsible approach.
Maybe 3C wouldn't be the worst spot if they're still trying to angle him into a pivot role (they are). But as far as prospects go, he'll get a chance before Helenius I believe.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Maybe 3C wouldn't be the worst spot if they're still trying to angle him into a pivot role (they are). But as far as prospects go, he'll get a chance before Helenius I believe.
I agree that he should be the next call up. But as far as center if Krebs is around he should be more capable to fill in given his experience.
I would give Helenius at least a season in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad