The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
I'd take a swing on Laine, it has some risk but there is potential for a huge reward and would boost our chances of the playoffs greatly. I don't care about prospects anymore.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Laine was Columbus' best forward, he was the first to return to defense, he has decent stats. If his mental problems can be solved by moving, why not. Low risk, high reward.

Reactions: Diaspora

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I'd rather keep Rosén over getting Laine. Kid can score and he's already here with no baggage.
Maybe its not worth it in the long run, but I feel like "kid can score" is pretty generous comparison.

Paced like 25 goals in the AHL, while laine has paced 30 goals 7 separate seasons in the NHL. Maybe rosen gets there but to this point they aren't operating in the same stratosphere as scorers

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Laine was Columbus' best forward, he was the first to return to defense, he has decent stats. If his mental problems can be solved by moving, why not. Low risk, high reward.
Not sure how adding a forward that is slotted to make 8.7 each year for the next two years is low risk.

When you couple that cap hit with Skinners buyout hit next off-season, we are talking almost 15% of the total cap.

If Laine bombs, sabres are on the hook for a huge cap hit without much recourse. Best case scenario, it costs the team a large amount of draft capital to move that contract. Worst case scenario is the team loses one of it's good young players in a mandatory cap clearing move.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Laine would be a guaranteed bust if Adams traded for him, I am just pointing out that it is not really sure-fire low risk.

Reactions: joshjull

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Not sure how adding a forward that is slotted to make 8.7 each year for the next two years is low risk.

When you couple that cap hit with Skinners buyout hit next off-season, we are talking almost 15% of the total cap.

If Laine bombs, sabres are on the hook for a huge cap hit without much recourse. Best case scenario, it costs the team a large amount of draft capital to move that contract. Worst case scenario is the team loses one of it's good young players in a mandatory cap clearing move.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Laine would be a guaranteed bust if Adams traded for him, I am just pointing out that it is not really sure-fire low risk.
I think the risk of Laine bombing is pretty low. The main risk would be that he misses a lot of time for injury/health reasons, which really wouldn't hurt the cap because in that case he'd be on LTIR. It would mostly be a cash risk, and it ain't my money. Or we might wind up with a Mark Stone situation. :thumbu:

I think you'd need to pay Columbus dearly to retain salary if you wanted to hedge.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think the risk of Laine bombing is pretty low. The main risk would be that he misses a lot of time for injury/health reasons, which really wouldn't hurt the cap because in that case he'd be on LTIR. It would mostly be a cash risk, and it ain't my money. Or we might wind up with a Mark Stone situation. :thumbu:

I think you'd need to pay Columbus dearly to retain salary if you wanted to hedge.

Pretty certain we alll thought the same thing about the Hall signing and how that was going to work out before that season.

This is a two year huge cap commitment. I think that by definition, a low risk deal is a deal that even if it blows up in your face, doesn't cost too much to correct.

Even if a Laine move has decent odds of turning out well, the cost would be very high if it doesn't, so I don't think "low risk" is a realistic description.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Pretty certain we alll thought the same thing about the Hall signing and how that was going to work out before that season.

This is a two year huge cap commitment. I think that by definition, a low risk deal is a deal that even if it blows up in your face, doesn't cost too much to correct.

Even if a Laine move has decent odds of turning out well, the cost would be very high if it doesn't, so I don't think "low risk" is a realistic description.
I think the Hall situation and team were in a far different place than the current roster. The team Hall joined was almost completely devoid of offensive firepower outside of Eichel and Sam. Once Eichel went down there weren't any true play drivers left on a team that was also being coached by one of the worst hockey coaches in modern history.

Hall couldn't be relied upon to be a play driver, but they paid him like one. Laine on the other hand would be coming into a far better situation with multiple guys who can score and drive offense. Dahlin has also emerged now which under Kreuger was starting to look like it would never happen. Not saying Laine is guaranteed success, but I think the odds of him performing are better given the team's current situation.

I also think there's the potential of Laine's presence helping Cozens return to form. He just had another outstanding WC leading Canada in scoring and goals. I think playing with a winger like Laine could be a difference maker for him finding that consistency again from 22-23. The talent is clearly there.

I'm not sure if Laine is worth the risk or not. That would really depend on the cost. I just wanted to point out the situation is better than what Hall came in to.

Reactions: Diaspora

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The idea that the team just made one of the riskiest trades you will ever see but acquiring a proven NHL goalscorer is just far too risky is pretty amusing.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The idea that the team just made one of the riskiest trades you will ever see but acquiring a proven NHL goalscorer is just far too risky is pretty amusing.

The history of Buffalo sniffing around the Jackets goes back a while. I remember Buff still being with us when that was hotter as a report. It wouldn't surprise me if they have a comprehensive idea of what Laine is and might be interested if the acquisition cost is in line with what they're willing to pay. Rosen and a 2nd for two years of a 0.8 point/game player might be in their thoughts.

Reactions: sabremike

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020

You're comparing apples and hammers. The team is in a very different place than they were in the year with Hall.

Year One, he fits under the cap with a trivial move.

Year Two, would require us to move out two of Greenway, Joker, Clifton and do some creative bridge deals. Replacing two of these contracts with ELCs/league minimums is feasible.

Now if he stayed in the lineup and put up Taylor Hall numbers, that would truly be awful. I think the odds of that happening are low.

He should be priced as a rental, not a core piece -- in which case we could talk about adding for retention.

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Two shoulder injuries since the last time anyone saw him play + off-ice concerns will do that for ya.
Broken collarbone (not rotator cuff) and surgical cleanup. I'm not downplaying the risk -- just have to price it into any deal appropriately.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
S
What I got out of some CBJ-fan comments from the thread on the main boards was that he bought into the idea of being a franchise player and was pissed at himself for not being able to carry the team on his back. Between losing, concussion last October, broken collarbone in December requiring some surgical cleanup and a setback when trying to come back to the lineup in January. Felt he needed to take a break to get his head on straight.

Unlike the way Sabres fans characterized Skinner (selfish and lackadaisical), Jackets fans described Laine as putting in the effort and having a good attitude -- but just not being happy with how he was able to impact results.

If he gets beyond the hero complex, accepts his role as a contributing top-six scoring winger, stays healthy, and finds some linemate chemistry, then he's worth a lot. There's no guarantee he'll do that.

I guess that why it looks like a risky bet.

I am not sure he is even a good locker room presence

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Yeah, the risk appetite for Laine is way too high for me. Not sure Adams sees it the same way - I remember them scouting Columbus a lot going back a couple of years.
Any chance there could be some remention? I'd be way more open to the idea if Laine is making around 6.5M rather than 8.5M. It is nice to read he at least tries in the O zone. Also, putting him back on wing rather than forcing him to play C may help his game.

I’d rather see them take the shot than not
I'd pass on 8.5M, but if we can get some retention? Absolutely!

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think the Hall situation and team were in a far different place than the current roster. The team Hall joined was almost completely devoid of offensive firepower outside of Eichel and Sam. Once Eichel went down there weren't any true play drivers left on a team that was also being coached by one of the worst hockey coaches in modern history.

Hall couldn't be relied upon to be a play driver, but they paid him like one. Laine on the other hand would be coming into a far better situation with multiple guys who can score and drive offense. Dahlin has also emerged now which under Kreuger was starting to look like it would never happen. Not saying Laine is guaranteed success, but I think the odds of him performing are better given the team's current situation.

I also think there's the potential of Laine's presence helping Cozens return to form. He just had another outstanding WC leading Canada in scoring and goals. I think playing with a winger like Laine could be a difference maker for him finding that consistency again from 22-23. The talent is clearly there.

I'm not sure if Laine is worth the risk or not. That would really depend on the cost. I just wanted to point out the situation is better than what Hall came in to.
I am not disagreeing with any of your points. I was just saying that while the odds of acquiring Laine turning out very bad for the team may be on the lower side, the risk cost if it did go south would be very high. Thus, I think the term "low risk" is being misused here.

The saying, low risk, high reward describes a situation where if things don't work, the cost is small, and if they do work, the gains are large. That is not what we have here. Here we have a decent chance for high gains and a smaller chance for a large cost.

Reactions: Guy Tetreault

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I know Konecny was well liked here, but is there anyone who would want that new contract 8/8.75 now ?

Last edited:

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Just a thought...would probably have to add a pick...

Marner & McCabe

Byram/Greenway/RyJo/Rosen

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Any chance there could be some remention? I'd be way more open to the idea if Laine is making around 6.5M rather than 8.5M. It is nice to read he at least tries in the O zone. Also, putting him back on wing rather than forcing him to play C may help his game.

I'd pass on 8.5M, but if we can get some retention? Absolutely!

Retention always gets expensive. Part of the appeal would be a low acquisition cost ( well… likely lower) than a lot of other options. And yes, the risk is high based on his multitude of injuries, out of the player assistance program, and his overall payroll hit.

Reactions: joshjull

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
You are conflating our (the posters) assessment of risk with the team's assessment of risk. We are not hypocrites for thinking Laine is too risky just because the team made a trade that most of us agree was an overpay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad