The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
I think I was commenting on how you could fit another top 6 winger into the lineup.

Just move Benson (or Zucker) down the lineup. Pushes others down or out.
Why would you want to touch the bottom 6 ? We just got them and they are energetic fast they hit and good defensively. That's what we lacked and now you want to move them out without playing a game? Anyone we bring in is going to cost an impact player.So my question is who would you move.Please don't say Krebs and Joker cmon

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Why would you want to touch the bottom 6 ? We just got them and they are energetic fast they hit and good defensively. That's what we lacked and now you want to move them out without playing a game? Anyone we bring in is going to cost an impact player.So my question is who would you move.Please don't say Krebs and Joker cmon
The most predictable answer from the 'ZOMG mAkE a TrAdE kEvYn!!!' brigade will be to sit Greenway but there is no way he is being sat. He brings too much to the lineup which we don't have in his absence.

I'll keep saying it - but if you want a big time forward addition this season - it will only come because Adams has already decided he doesn't want to pay either Quinn or Peterka. I highly doubt he has made that decision yet though.

Reactions: Irie and Zman5778

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
My biggest worry is that our top two centers were banking a lot on long term (Thompson, Cozens) just aren't good enough. I hope I'm wrong.
I can be hard on Tage at times. But the only thing stopping him the last 3 years has been injuries. If he stays healthy he’ll be fine and what we need as a top offensive center.

Cozens is more of a wild card. But having a more clearly defined role that suits his skill set should help him.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I agree it would likely be pretty expensive to add another top 6 winger. But it would give us incredible depth at forward, one hell of a competition for ice time and injury insurance. Ruff would also be able to sit kids like Benson, Quinn or Peterka if need be. Giving him development tools for the youth in that forward group without the overall team development focus.

Even with adding another top 6 winger, I don’t see the key pieces added this offseason sitting (McLeod and the 4th line).

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree it would likely be pretty expensive to add another top 6 winger. But it would give us incredible depth at forward, one hell of a competition for ice time and injury insurance. Ruff would also be able to sit kids like Benson, Quinn or Peterka if need be. Giving him development tools for the youth in that forward group without the overall team development focus.

Even with adding another top 6 winger, I don’t see the key pieces added this offseason sitting (McLeod and the 4th line).
I think the challenge with acquiring a top 6 winger is that the cost would likely have to include Quinn, Peterka, Cozens, Benson, or Tuch in the deal.

Or, it will be a crazy expensive futures for a pending UFA who may not want to extend here.

Unless it's a deal for Patrick Laine.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
From Lindy's perspective isn't it something like this situationally:

When I need goals: Thompson, Peterka, Tuch, Quinn, Cozens, Zucker and Benson
When I need stops: McLeod, Malenstyn Aube-Kubel, Greenway, Lafferty, Krebs, Cozens, Tuch, Quinn and Benson
When I need speed: McLeod, Malenstyn Aube-Kubel, Peterka, Lafferty, Tuch, Cozens and Thompson
When I need size/grit: Lafferty, Malenstyn, AUbe-Kubel, Greenway, Thompson, Tuch, and Cozens

Very telling how many of names in the latter 3 areas are new guys.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The most predictable answer from the 'ZOMG mAkE a TrAdE kEvYn!!!' brigade will be to sit Greenway but there is no way he is being sat. He brings too much to the lineup which we don't have in his absence.

I'll keep saying it - but if you want a big time forward addition this season - it will only come because Adams has already decided he doesn't want to pay either Quinn or Peterka. I highly doubt he has made that decision yet though.
What makes you think this?

Quinn/Peterka are entering the last year of their ELCs and can be given 2-3 year bridges. Something I have to imagine Adams would want to do with at least one due to Skinner’s buyout cost in year 3 being 6.4mil.

Adams could acquired someone like Ehlers and give him a 3yr deal. The same approach the Panthers took with Sam. Then bridge one of Quinn/Peterka and extend the other long term.

Thats one example of a couple different ways Adams could go about it.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think the challenge with acquiring a top 6 winger is that the cost would likely have to include Quinn, Peterka, Cozens, Benson, or Tuch in the deal.

Or, it will be a crazy expensive futures for a pending UFA who may not want to extend here.

The bolded seems the most likely. Assuming they want to pay that price. They certainly can afford to with the amount of assets they have.

Obviously the cost for any winger will hinge largely on age/contract status.

EDIT: I don’t see Tuch in play at all. That would sort of defeat the point of the trade.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The bolded seems the most likely. Assuming they want to pay that price. They can certainly afford to with the amount of assets they have.

Obviously the cost for any winger will hinge largely on age/contract status.
I doubt Adams will pay the reported price for a guy like Ehlers (4 pieces with 3 being premium pieces) if there is no extension agreed upon beforehand.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Yup. If we make a trade for a top 6 guy, Greenway isn't the guy being sat....at all. NAK is the one that's most likely to be benched, as he's been a part-time player in the past. He's played 70+ games in his career once, and only hit 60 once more (last season).

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yup. If we make a trade for a top 6 guy, Greenway isn't the guy being sat....at all. NAK is the one that's most likely to be benched, as he's been a part-time player in the past. He's played 70+ games in his career once, and only hit 60 once more (last season).
I’m very curious to see how Ruff uses him. I can see him with Cozens in a two way role. I can also see him on the 3rd line with McLeod for the same reason. They have a few options to arrange the middle 6 wingers. Who as of now are likely Zucker/Quinn/Benson/Greenway. I’m assuming Peterka on top line. But thats not a given.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I’m very curious to see how Ruff uses him. I can see him with Cozens in a two way role. I can also see him on the 3rd line with McLeod for the same reason. They have a few options to arrange the middle 6 wingers. Who as of now are likely Zucker/Quinn/Benson/Greenway. I’m assuming Peterka on top line. But thats not a given.
I think most of us are assuming that JJP is going to be on the top line......but you're absolutely right that there are a LOT of moveable/interchangeable pieces in the top 9.

I think it's probably safe to think/assume that Tage-Tuch is going to be 2/3rds of the top line. There's then a case to be made for JJP or Quinn or Benson to be their LW.....and Zucker could be plopped there to bring a bit of defensive awareness and grit at times.

And there is a chance (stress CHANCE) that a guy like Kulich or Rosen force their hand in camp and make it impossible to send one of them down, which adds another option to the top 9.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

2025 1st top-10 protected should be a valuable asset to use.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
If we're going to trade our top 2025 pick.......I don't see why we'd top 10 protect it. Maybe we top-1 protect it in case of a miracle lotto win, but it'd be more valuable with minimal protection and maybe be more enticing to a GM who thinks we're gonna blow.

Reactions: jc17

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The challenge is that the reported ask on Ehlers was 4 pieces, 3 of which were premium pieces.

So, it was likely that the 2025 1st would be only one of 3 premium pieces that it would take to land Ehlers.

I am sure that if all it took was Krebs and '25 1st (top 10 protected) for a top 6 winger that wasn't on a horribad contract, it would be done already.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Quinn/Peterka are entering the last year of their ELCs and can be given 2-3 year bridges. Something I have to imagine Adams would want to do with at least one due to Skinner’s buyout cost in year 3 being 6.4mil.

Adams could acquired someone like Ehlers and give him a 3yr deal. The same approach the Panthers took with Sam. Then bridge one of Quinn/Peterka and extend the other long term.

Firstly - Adams' MO has tended to be to lock his key guys up long term. And if we were to acquire this type/calibre of player - there's also a good chance said player would expect a long term extension. Let's use Ehlers as an example - why the hell would he sign a team-friendly 3 year deal in Buffalo when he's on the verge of UFA status, knowing some desperate team would likely overpay with a huge contract as they do every year? It's not like he's built up any loyalty or connection to this team either.

Secondly - roster spots. Where are all of the players we currently have + high end prospects in the system going to fit ? Right now i see Zucker as a placeholder for Kulich, who seems on the verge. You then have Rosen & the rest with no real route to an NHL role as it is.

Given the direction they have gone this year - I'll bet that even NAK will play the vast majority of games - health permitting. He'll help play an important role in Lindy's system imo.

Right now we have 12 guys under contract who should have regular NHL roles. We have Krebs at 13 as a RFA who really should be playing to aid his development. And we have a few guys like Kulich & Rosen who really need to be getting some NHL games at this stage in their development too.

We simply don't have room for another player without at least one of them going in the opposite direction.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

I hope if Adams bridges anyone it's Peterka. If Quinn can stay healthy he is who will be needed to be locked up ASAP or that bridge deal will hurt us like Reinhart's did.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think most of us are assuming that JJP is going to be on the top line......but you're absolutely right that there are a LOT of moveable/interchangeable pieces in the top 9.

I think it's probably safe to think/assume that Tage-Tuch is going to be 2/3rds of the top line. There's then a case to be made for JJP or Quinn or Benson to be their LW.....and Zucker could be plopped there to bring a bit of defensive awareness and grit at times.

And there is a chance (stress CHANCE) that a guy like Kulich or Rosen force their hand in camp and make it impossible to send one of them down, which adds another option to the top 9.
That would shock the hell out of me for a few reasons.

1) They would have to show they are a clearcut better option than at least one of the 4 wingers I mentioned. I don’t see how they could. Camp really isn’t the best venue for someone with zero NHL experience to show he’s better than a guy with it.

2) Even if they are somehow unreal in camp. I still don’t see Ruff/Adams breaking up the 4th line for another kid to be in the lineup. I could for a vet top 6 winger that pushes wingers down though. Their offseason moves have insulated them from having another kid in the mix.

3) They’v already hinted the plan is for Kulich to be in AHL. Prospal talked about how they want Kulich to work on getting his game to a be more consistent. Thats going to be in the AHL.

zenthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
If there’s an addition that forces someone out of the bottom six and onto the bench, I think it would probably be more of a rotating scratch based on performance/injury than a clear cut 13F

Reactions: HOOats

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
And to my above points... I actually like the balance of players we have at the moment.

For the first time in forever, we have players who project into the lineup exactly where their skill sets dictate they should. No square pegs in round holes.

If there's a criticism you could argue that we are on the whole too young & I'd probably agree. But to copy one of Adams recent statements - we're young but not necessarily inexperienced.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
I agree that there is a hole in the top 6. It is a problem and if it can be addressed that is probably the top priority for the remainder of the offseason. The ask for Ehlers is too high. He will want term, as much AAV as he can get and he is a good NHL forward, but his ceiling and playoff production leave him a lackluster addition in my eyes.

I'd rather pay a rental for that role (1-2 years) while we wait on our higher-ceiling skill guys to develop into a top 6 winger. (Benson, Kulich, Rosen, Helenius, Neuchev, Ostlund).

No rental to be had? Win now mode instead. Fine. If we're going to move 3-4 pieces to acquire 'the guy', then I want more than Ehlers.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I agree that there is a hole in the top 6. It is a problem and if it can be addressed that is probably the top priority for the remainder of the offseason. The ask for Ehlers is too high. He will want term, as much AAV as he can get and he is a good NHL forward, but his ceiling and playoff production leave him a lackluster addition in my eyes.

I'd rather pay a rental for that role (1-2 years) while we wait on our higher-ceiling skill guys to develop into a top 6 winger. (Benson, Kulich, Rosen, Helenius, Neuchev, Ostlund).

No rental to be had? Win now mode instead. Fine. If we're going to move 3-4 pieces to acquire 'the guy', then I want more than Ehlers.
The problem is that who is available for that kind of package that is available?

There are not a lot of top 6 wingers that are rumored to be on the trade block outside of guys with huge red flags like Laine.

Reactions: Zman5778

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The problem is that who is available for that kind of package that is available?

There are not a lot of top 6 wingers that are rumored to be on the trade block outside of guys with huge red flags like Laine.
Well, by the way, Laine can be an option. The rest are the same ones I mentioned earlier. Zegras, Konecny, Farabee, Coleman, Vatrano.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
From Lindy's perspective isn't it something like this situationally:

When I need goals: Thompson, Peterka, Tuch, Quinn, Cozens, Zucker and Benson
When I need stops: McLeod, Malenstyn Aube-Kubel, Greenway, Lafferty, Krebs, Cozens, Tuch, Quinn and Benson
When I need speed: McLeod, Malenstyn Aube-Kubel, Peterka, Lafferty, Tuch, Cozens and Thompson
When I need size/grit: Lafferty, Malenstyn, AUbe-Kubel, Greenway, Thompson, Tuch, and Cozens

Very telling how many of names in the latter 3 areas are new guys.
If only hockey was played like Box Lacrosse...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad