The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
The most predictable answer from the 'ZOMG mAkE a TrAdE kEvYn!!!' brigade will be to sit Greenway but there is no way he is being sat. He brings too much to the lineup which we don't have in his absence.

I'll keep saying it - but if you want a big time forward addition this season - it will only come because Adams has already decided he doesn't want to pay either Quinn or Peterka. I highly doubt he has made that decision yet though.
I think the challenge with acquiring a top 6 winger is that the cost would likely have to include Quinn, Peterka, Cozens, Benson, or Tuch in the deal.

Or, it will be a crazy expensive futures for a pending UFA who may not want to extend here.

Unless it's a deal for Patrick Laine.
Agreed. I've done the mental gymnastics trying to figure out what package would work for Ottaw to get Brady Tkachuk.

No one should get wrapped around the Tkachuk idea - just that he's the type of add the team would need. It could be another forward.

I can't make it work unless the Sabres are giving Peterka or Quinn as the NHL replacement, or Kulich or Ostlund as the prospect to begin to even value.

Trading scraps (Krebs, Rosen, Greenway, Jokiharju) isn't going to get it done. If Adams has a major trade in mind for a winger of that caliber, it'll hurt.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Patches is still out there. 1 year deal
Low risk. Waive if needed.

Maybe something left in tank
Exactly but won't happen

Agreed. I've done the mental gymnastics trying to figure out what package would work for Ottaw to get Brady Tkachuk.

No one should get wrapped around the Tkachuk idea - just that he's the type of add the team would need. It could be another forward.

I can't make it work unless the Sabres are giving Peterka or Quinn as the NHL replacement, or Kulich or Ostlund as the prospect to begin to even value.

Trading scraps (Krebs, Rosen, Greenway, Jokiharju) isn't going to get it done. If Adams has a major trade in mind for a winger of that caliber, it'll hurt.

And why exactly wouldn't you trade two of our best prospects for Tkachuk?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Exactly but won't happen

And why exactly wouldn't you trade two of our best prospects for Tkachuk?

Probably because it still wouldn't get the deal done. Ottawa is in a similar boat to Buffalo re: pressure to make the playoffs.

How would you feel if Adams traded Tage Thompson to San Jose for Will Smith? Even Will Smith and William Eklund. Would you like it if they traded him for Celebrini?

Those would be huge value wins but you're almost certainly cementing yourself in last place.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Probably because it still wouldn't get the deal done. Ottawa is in a similar boat to Buffalo re: pressure to make the playoffs.

How would you feel if Adams traded Tage Thompson to San Jose for Will Smith? Even Will Smith and William Eklund. Would you like it if they traded him for Celebrini?

Those would be huge value wins but you're almost certainly cementing yourself in last place.
Celebrini, you say?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Firstly - Adams' MO has tended to be to lock his key guys up long term.
That MO was part of a rebuild with a pretty wide open roster looking forward. It’s not a big deal to throw those around when you only have one long term deal on the books (Skinner) when it starts. Adams has locked in core pieces and there will probably be a few more. But not everyone is getting long term deals moving forward. Bridges and mid term deals will become more common.

And if we were to acquire this type/calibre of player - there's also a good chance said player would expect a long term extension. Let's use Ehlers as an example - why the hell would he sign a team-friendly 3 year deal in Buffalo when he's on the verge of UFA status, knowing some desperate team would likely overpay with a huge contract as they do every year? It's not like he's built up any loyalty or connection to this team either.
You got too fixated with me mentioning Ehlers that you missed the point I was trying to make (my fault). He (Ehlers) was the first name that came to mind and was a stand in for anyone we might acquire. Adams has options that will hinge on the acquisitions age, contract status, etc. But anything from “rental” to mid term deal to long term deal can be in play.

He also has options with Quinn/Peterka as well. Which gives him a few different contract options/combos he could try with the 3 players (“vet winger addition”/Quinn/Peterka) to make things work.

The point being, Adams can very much acquire a top 6 winger and still view Quinn/Peterka as part of the plans moving forward. Assuming of course they're not part of the trade. :laugh:
Secondly - roster spots. Where are all of the players we currently have + high end prospects in the system going to fit ? Right now i see Zucker as a placeholder for Kulich, who seems on the verge. You then have Rosen & the rest with no real route to an NHL role as it is.
It’s crazy to me that you think this even matters. Teams try to improve the NHL roster when they can. Adams should be fired if he passes up a chance to do so because he wants to see any of our top prospects on the roster next season. Thankfully Adams isn’t thinking that way and is still open to adding a top 6 winger. Though I don’t think he’ll be very aggressively pursuing it.

Kulich has nothing to do with the addition of Zucker. He (Zucker) is insurance if they can’t acquire the aforementioned top 6 winger. Then they won’t be forced to put Benson in the top 6 if they don’t want to.

There is currently 1 spot on the roster for a forward. So yes, the NHL roster has a spot.

Last edited:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

I would put anyone not named Dahlin in a deal for him. He's a one-of-akind

Reactions: Jacob582

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
And to my above points... I actually like the balance of players we have at the moment.

For the first time in forever, we have players who project into the lineup exactly where their skill sets dictate they should. No square pegs in round holes.

If there's a criticism you could argue that we are on the whole too young & I'd probably agree. But to copy one of Adams recent statements - we're young but not necessarily inexperienced.
I like the balance as well and I don’t think it’s urgent to acquire a top 6 winger. But if the opportunity presents itself, they’d be crazy not to try to make it happen.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I'm not sure they'll make the playoffs this season even with this roster, more likely no than yes. What's a deal?

I didn't say they're going to make the playoffs I said it was giving up on. If they trade trade Tage for a teenager (Smith/Celebrini) they're not going to be competitive this year.

I went down this road because people are talking about how to get B. Tkachuk from Ottawa, and it just won't happen because Ottawa wants/needs to make the playoffs as badly as Buffalo. You can throw Oslund & Kulich at them and it won't matter.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I didn't say they're going to make the playoffs I said it was giving up on. If they trade trade Tage for a teenager (Smith/Celebrini) they're not going to be competitive this year.

I went down this road because people are talking about how to get B. Tkachuk from Ottawa, and it just won't happen because Ottawa wants/needs to make the playoffs as badly as Buffalo. You can throw Oslund & Kulich at them and it won't matter.
Well, yes, there is no point in us trading Tage for prospect. But I would trade Peterka++ for Tkachuk.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I like the balance as well and I don’t think it’s urgent to acquire a top 6 winger. But if the opportunity presents itself, they’d be crazy not to try to make it happen.

The more pressing issue is the defense.

Either way, Anything from here on out is going to require either bodies in/bodies out in a deal or multiple transactions.

Given how much teeth pulling it takes the current front office to do even a minor trade, I can't imagine the machinations it would take the front office to do multiple with different GMs.

This is almost certainly the group we bring to camp.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Patches is still out there. 1 year deal
Low risk. Waive if needed.

Maybe something left in tank
There is nothing left in that tank
He's done. I talked to him for a long time over a year ago, when his leg was still healing from surgery. His son was playing at the Wake Forest Competition Center in Raleigh. He was on a knee scooter. We were talking about our kids playing hockey. He was mentally ready then - sounded like he was ready for dad-time to start. I'm surprised he played after that.

That's not really the trade Buffalo or anyone would offer. I've offered up as an idea Peterka, Kulich, Jokiharju, and a 1st.

Peterka immediately replaces Tkachuk in the lineup. He's not Tkachuk but plays the same position, has played well with Stuetzle, and offers speed. Jokiharju plugs in behind Zub and Jensen on the right side. Kulich is a top prospect, and along with the 1st, helps make up the difference between Tkachuk and Peterka.

So it's not really a prospects for NHL players deal in the same way you're describing.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
He's done. I talked to him for a long time over a year ago, when his leg was still healing from surgery. His son was playing at the Wake Forest Competition Center in Raleigh. He was on a knee scooter. We were talking about our kids playing hockey. He was mentally ready then - sounded like he was ready for dad-time to start. I'm surprised he played after that.

That's not really the trade Buffalo or anyone would offer. I've offered up as an idea Peterka, Kulich, Jokiharju, and a 1st.

Peterka immediately replaces Tkachuk in the lineup. He's not Tkachuk but plays the same position, has played well with Stuetzle, and offers speed. Jokiharju plugs in behind Zub and Jensen on the right side. Kulich is a top prospect, and along with the 1st, helps make up the difference between Tkachuk and Peterka.

So it's not really a prospects for NHL players deal in the same way you're describing.
Not sure how NHL rehab is but maybe one more year or a decent pay check and NHL rehab facilities.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

It's not precisely the same, but it has the congruent effect of making Ottawa a worse team now.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Thank you for restating my original post.
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad