The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
It could be that Zegras is too much sizzle and not enough steak for Verbeek's taste, as well.

:dunno:

I remember Tortorella commenting on Zegras' pass over the back of the net as "bad for the game."

There are hockey men in management positions that maybe wouldn't feel Zegras is a fit for them.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ducks fan coming in peace but where do you guys get that we're shopping him? The initial rumor was made by Serevalli - same guy who announced last year that "John Gibson has played his last game as a Duck", only to cause Gibby come out with a statement the next day saying wtf. Sure Zegras is available, just like any other young core player on the Ducks – for a better player. Because media wants to talk about Zegras, everybody just keep yapping to get clicks. Well, maybe I'm totally wrong, but maybe you guys get a fresh perspective as I see a lot of discussion is you guys discussing getting Zegras, who despite the shitty season was still one of our best players last year (we only looked decent when he was on the ice). :)

Anyhow, I see now rumors about Vatrano. If Pat wanted assets, he'd trade him either at last deadline or at the draft. Pat needs to get us to win, so we'd need to be out of playoff position next year, or get a better player (unrealistic for a guy like Vatrano) to trade him.
Just my two cents, sorry if unapropriate. Still, it might be I have no idea what I'm talking about :)

Friedman and Marek have brought up Zegras repeatedly and for months.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I remember Tortorella commenting on Zegras' pass over the back of the net as "bad for the game."

There are hockey men in management positions that maybe wouldn't feel Zegras is a fit for them.
Torts strikes me as a selfish jerk. Maybe that's harsh, but that's my opinion. He put Farabee, Frost in the doghouse, and even Coots sat with him, but he likes Laughton and Risto.

If Adams is genuinely interested in trading Zegras (which is not a given), then I am 100% sure that Lindy has given the go-ahead.

Reactions: ClearTheTrack

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
You said 1st line and 1st pair talents. Which to me implies the best at their positions. Cozens and Power are not the best at their positions on this team, let alone the league.

If you’re saying it’s about 1st line forwards and 1st pair dmen. Then what’s the point? Since guys on those lines/pairs can run the gamut from elite offensive players who produce at the top of league to two way/defensive players who don’t come near that. Like Sammy on the top pair, who I feel pretty confident Power can outscore.

Power and Thompson and Cozens didn't generate pointzzz last season like top line or top pair players. That's the extent of my point.

If they don't generate pointzzz this season as well it's gonna be a disappointing season.

Tracking that there is complexity to the bottom line as stated above. I get that. The point remains, and so does the bottom line.

EdIt to add...yes I know, injuries usage etc. I know. If Thompson isn't at 85 points, Cozens around 70, Power around 40, we probably aren't making the playoffs. Or certainly aren't making the playoffs. That's what my initial point was and is.

Last edited:

Club

zach benson real estate.
Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I haven't posted much about it but I SERIOUSLY hope Kevyn is dialing Briere & calling about Konecny. I think he would be a great addition to the top 6.

Reactions: Jacob582

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I haven't posted much about it but I SERIOUSLY hope Kevyn is dialing Briere & calling about Konecny. I think he would be a great addition to the top 6.
I think if he calls Briere, it's Farabee. Konecny is better, yes, but he'll cost more, also he's one year away from UFA and probably his new contract will be the same as Skinner's.

Last edited:

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Chad D has repeatedly said that Necas was not the guy on the Canes that the Sabres were interested in.

It was a guy that is no longer needed since they made the McLeod trade.

So, it comes down to whether you believe that Chad D or Andrew Peters (Necas wouldn't sign here) is more reliable when it comes to Sabres rumors.....

Another challenge with a potential Zegras trade is Anaheim being only $356,667 above the $65M cap floor.

They need $5.75M+ in salary coming back in a trade to stay above the floor.

CapFriendly has them a little over $2M over the floor. So, they would need around $3.75M going back.
I cant believe the Ducks owner is so cheap

Club

zach benson real estate.
Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
I think if he calls Briere, it's Farabee. Koecny is better, yes, but he'll cost more, also he's one year away from UFA and probably his new contract will be the same as Skinner's.
I wouldn't mind Farabee now that I think about it. You are correct. I just know KA, if is in a serious win now/make the playoffs mode has to make a significant splash. More than McLeod. His jobs on the line. But on that same notion, I do personally think there are a few GM's who are taking advantage of the situation we're in, asking for a ton, & everyone realizes we are on a lot of players no trade list. Which sucks. I know we have the assets.

I just don't feel overly satisfied with this current top 6, if he gives Lindy one more reliable guy.. our drought could end baring any injuries. Because I like this roster, all around a lot more than what we had (minus Mitts/Skinner) But the off season just started.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I wouldn't mind Farabee now that I think about it. You are correct. I just know KA, if is in a serious win now/make the playoffs mode has to make a significant splash. More than McLeod. His jobs on the line. But on that same notion, I do personally think there are a few GM's who are taking advantage of the situation we're in, asking for a ton, & everyone realizes we are on a lot of players no trade list. Which sucks. I know we have the assets.

I just don't feel overly satisfied with this current top 6, if he gives Lindy one more reliable guy, out drought could end baring any injuries. But the off season just started.
Well I think Farabee makes sense, he would improve our top 9 as a whole and there are ties to Buffalo. He's already signed for $5 million and four more years. He's had the most productive season of his career and he's still relatively young. And yet he was reportedly in Torts' doghouse.

Farabee is from Cicero, he was at Buffalo Junior, he played under Appert, and Seth spoke very highly of him.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Farabee's career year last season was roughly equivalent to Dylan Cozens' disappointing season last season.

Adding a top 6 winger with a career high of 22 goals and 50 points is going to be disappointing to a lot of people.
This can be considered as a top 9. We looked at Necas here who had three points more. For me it will not be a disappointment, also there can be potential to score more points, as well as McLeod I think.

We had Reinhart and he scored about the same amount of points sometimes. He often played on the first line with Jack. Sam went to another team and exploded there. I'm not saying that Farabee will do the same, but I don't understand why he can't score more points than he did in Philly.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Farabee's career year last season was roughly equivalent to Dylan Cozens' disappointing season last season.

Adding a top 6 winger with a career high of 22 goals and 50 points is going to be disappointing to a lot of people.
For me Farabee would be a good get just because of how he plays and produces points, not just how many points he produces. If you look at his heat maps, he does a lot of work from the front of the net. That is something we need in our top 6 badly. If you can get that and know that Farabee still has some unrealized potential in his game, I think it would be a smart add.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

I wouldn't trade him for Krebs straight up, and Lance L. had us sending a package of Krebs, Clifton, and a 2nd for him.

For me Farabee would be a good get just because of how he plays and produces points, not just how many points he produces. If you look at his heat maps, he does a lot of work from the front of the net. That is something we need in our top 6 badly. If you can get that and know that Farabee still has some unrealized potential in his game, I think it would be a smart add.
Makes sense but I'm still not sending a center to them for him. They'd have to add to get Krebs, which is probably why a deal hasn't happened.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I wouldn't trade him for Krebs straight up, and Lance L. had us sending a package of Krebs, Clifton, and a 2nd for him.

Makes sense but I'm still not sending a center to them for him. They'd have to add to get Krebs, which is probably why a deal hasn't happened.
They just made Krebs expendable, so his value dropped. Does that mean we can get someone's top prospect for him like Edmonton? He is entering his prime as an RFA. If he is worth a 2nd adams will get a 5th.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I think if he calls Briere, it's Farabee. Konecny is better, yes, but he'll cost more, also he's one year away from UFA and probably his new contract will be the same as Skinner's.
To the best of my recollection, Lance usually doesn’t throw names out there for no reason. I’m guessing he’s heard that there’s work being done on a Farabee deal.

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
To the best of my recollection, Lance usually doesn’t throw names out there for no reason. I’m guessing he’s heard that there’s work being done on a Farabee deal.
Well, yes, Lance is often the mouthpiece for the Sabres.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Lance and Joe guess at stuff that makes sense to them all the time.

The conversation on Farabee sounded like connecting dots (Syracuse native, NTDP ties) than hearing the Sabres were in on him.

The only part that seemed like they heard something was that they have heard rumors that Briere likes Krebs.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016

I just don't feel overly satisfied with this current top 6, if he gives Lindy one more reliable guy.. our drought could end baring any injuries. Because I like this roster, all around a lot more than what we had (minus Mitts/Skinner) But the off season just started.
There will be teams that will feel a cap crunch as the season gets closer with RFA signings and last minute acquisitions. Having cap to deal with this year levels the playing field a bit. It doesn’t help next year, but there are other avenues to take, particularly if the roster shows it still needs improvement.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007

24 year old that just put of 50 points and has gotten better every year of his career, signed to a more than reasonable $5 million per for the next 4 years. If we trade for this guy all Sabres fans should be happy if we don't give up the farm.

JJP Tage Tuch
Zucker Cozens Quinn
Benson McLeod Farabeee
Malenstyn Lafferty Greenway/Kubel

I'm good with this.

Last edited:

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Peterka Thompson Tuch
Zucker Cozens Quinn
Benson Mcleod Greenway
Malenstyn Lafferty Kubel.

This is how I anticipate performance:

Peterka: Improvement to overall game slight uptick in goals
Thompson: back to form, better overall play, closer to 75-80 points.
Tuch: Back to form 65-70 points
Zucker: 15 goals
Cozens: Finally who we expected, probably 65ish points
Quinn: 20 game injury, 50 points, 25 goals.
Benson: 11-27-38 points
Mcleod: Idk 40 points maybe
Greenway: 30 points

4th line: Great play, limited points.

Dahlin Samuelsson
Power Byram
Clifton Joker

Dahlin: Stud
Power: Stud
Byram:Stud
Samuelsson: Stud then injured for 35 games and bad.
Joker: Bad
Clifton: Meh

RJ comes in to save the day; Stud.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Yeap, this guy loves being net.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
It would be a little weird to acquire Farabee considering he had the same neck surgery that our doctors didn't want Eichel to have.

Reactions: ValJamesDuex

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
1720459389433.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad