Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Buffalo Sabres

B-​

The Sabres made their fourth line faster and more physical during free agency and then traded Matt Savoie for Ryan McLeod, adding even more speed to their bottom six. This Buffalo team should be more defensively responsible and harder on the forecheck than last season’s. Adding McLeod, Jason Zucker, Beck Malenstyn, Nicolas Aube-Kubel and Sam Lafferty boosts Buffalo’s depth in a big way. But the question is whether general manager Kevyn Adams has done enough to improve their 23rd-ranked offense from last season. He’s hoping Lindy Ruff can coach some individuals to better seasons, while the increased team speed will lead to a better overall offensive team. — Matthew Fairburn

Buffalo Sabres

A top-six forward​

Unless Jason Zucker is going to play on the top two lines, the Sabres didn’t add to the top six. They also bought out Jeff Skinner, so a team that regressed offensively last season lost one of its best five-on-five point producers. The Sabres are betting on improvement from players like Tage Thompson, Dylan Cozens, Alex Tuch and Jack Quinn to get their scoring back to 2022-23 levels. Trading for Ryan McLeod solved Buffalo’s need for a third-line center. But there’s still room to add to the top six, and the Sabres have the cap space to make a deal if one is available. — Matthew Fairburn

With everyone around the league knowing that Adams needs a top-six forward, other GMs are going to ask for a huge return to give one up.

If Adams pulls the trigger on a deal for a top-six F, I expect the price to be insane.

Update:

Boston Bruins

A scoring wing​

Carolina Hurricanes

A top-six forward (or two)​

Chicago Blackhawks

Elite wingers​

Colorado Avalanche

Secondary scoring (maybe?)​

Los Angeles Kings

Top-nine scoring up front​

Minnesota Wild

A second-line winger​

New Jersey Devils

A Tyler Toffoli replacement​

New York Islanders

More top-nine impact​

New York Rangers

A guarantee at top-line right wing​

Philadelphia Flyers

Elite skill​

Pittsburgh Penguins

A winger for Sidney Crosby

Seattle Kraken​

Elite talent​

Utah HC​

An elite forward​

Vegas Golden Knights

A top-six winger​

Washington Capitals

Another winger​

Here is the other reason why prices for top 6 wingers are likely insane. Demand is greatly outpacing the supply.

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
With everyone around the league knowing that Adams needs a top-six forward, other GMs are going to ask for a huge return to give one up.

If Adams pulls the trigger on a deal for a top-six F, I expect the price to be insane.

Update:
Depends on the player and his value. Zegras value is probably the lowest he's ever been in the NHL. That said, I don't expect Adams to get Zegras.

There's Farabee, who Torts doesn't need, who's tied to Buffalo, and on the other hand, Briere likes Krebs. I could see a deal Krebs+ for Farabee.

This entire list of teams is highly debatable. Vegas could be hunting for bigger fish like Marner and it has nothing to do with Buffalo. Pittsburgh has no assets. Some have no cap, some are done.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Is it...weird that they haven't had a press conference since the trade? Could I be that they have another one in the hopper? Seems possible. Also it's a holiday weekend. But, one can hope.
The Sabres still have a lot of cap space it would be annoying to buyout Skinner just to not use the cap space this season.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
The Sabres still have a lot of cap space it would be annoying to buyout Skinner just to not use the cap space this season.
I'm of the opinion that buying out skinner was, for the most part, about removing a player that won't mesh with Lindy, not about freeing cap space. And many of us thought that made sense well before the buyout happened.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Depends on the player and his value. Zegras value is probably the lowest he's ever been in the NHL. That said, I don't expect Adams to get Zegras.

There's Farabee, who Torts doesn't need, who's tied to Buffalo, and on the other hand, Briere likes Krebs. I could see a deal Krebs+ for Farabee.

This entire list of teams is highly debatable. Vegas could be hunting for bigger fish like Marner and it has nothing to do with Buffalo. Pittsburgh has no assets. Some have no cap, some are done.
I'm not buying that Verbeek has lowered his ask on Zegras.

It doesn't matter what fans and media think of a player's trade value. It matters what their GM is asking for a player.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
I'm of the opinion that buying out skinner was, for the most part, about removing a player that won't mesh with Lindy, not about freeing cap space. And many of us thought that made sense well before the buyout happened.
We now know Necas was the replacement plan, which means he pivoted because he couldn't get a top 6 he wanted.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
We now know Necas was the replacement plan, which means he pivoted because he couldn't get a top 6 he wanted.
Chad D has repeatedly said that Necas was not the guy on the Canes that the Sabres were interested in.

It was a guy that is no longer needed since they made the McLeod trade.

So, it comes down to whether you believe that Chad D or Andrew Peters (Necas wouldn't sign here) is more reliable when it comes to Sabres rumors.....

Another challenge with a potential Zegras trade is Anaheim being only $356,667 above the $65M cap floor.

They need $5.75M+ in salary coming back in a trade to stay above the floor.

CapFriendly has them a little over $2M over the floor. So, they would need around $3.75M going back.

Last edited:

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Sounds like speculation to me.
It was out there that there was a base involving a first for Necas. Maybe it wasn't his 1A choice, but that shows he was looking for a top 6, he has even stated it. So, he did attempt to replace Skinner in the top 6.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm not buying that Verbeek has lowered his ask on Zegras.

It doesn't matter what fans and media think of a player's trade value. It matters what their GM is asking for a player.
He might not have lowered it, but what were the demands? Chad said it would have been Wahlberg (Verbeek likes that prospect) + Greenway/Jokiharju + 1st.

And we don't know what the GMs are asking for.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It was out there that there was a base involving a first for Necas. Maybe it wasn't his 1A choice, but that shows he was looking for a top 6, he has even stated it. So, he did attempt to replace Skinner in the top 6.

That's certainly what Carolina was trying to sell everyone on. Buffalo media guys have said Necas isn't the Cane that the Sabres were pursuing.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Ducks: At first glance, the Ducks are among the losers of the early offseason. They re-signed a few depth players and made two mid-level trades to bring in winger Robby Fabbri and blue-liner Brian Dumoulin. So: nothing significant despite a six-year playoff drought and GM Pat Verbeek talking openly about wanting to acquire a top-four defenseman and top-six forward. (Fabbri and Dumoulin are fine but don't check those boxes.)

Verbeek either struck out on the marquee free agents (likely) or has become a little gun-shy after gifting Alex Killorn $25 million last summer. Regardless, once you take a step back and factor in the franchise's competitive timeline, it's clear that Anaheim's actually an early winner. As a team on the rise but not ready to challenge for a playoff spot, it's smartly kept its powder dry.

The Ducks' long-term nucleus is mostly filled with 22-and-under skaters: forwards Leo Carlsson, Cutter Gauthier, Mason McTavish, and Beckett Sennecke, plus defensemen Pavel Mintyukov, Olen Zellweger, Tristan Luneau, and Stian Solberg. Trevor Zegras, Lukas Dostal, and Troy Terry are just 23, 24, and 26.

Verbeek has time to weaponize his $21 million in cap space. For instance, if he ultimately decides to trade the flashy Zegras, he can theoretically complete a better deal by taking on money. Verbeek can make waves in 2025 free agency instead; the core group will be further along then.

Given that the Sabres do not have a lot of bad money to give up, I would be surprised if there was a fit between the Sabres and Ducks on a Zegras trade.

:dunno:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

Given that the Sabres do not have a lot of bad money to give up, I would be surprised if there was a fit between the Sabres and Ducks on a Zegras trade.

:dunno:

If Buffalo is adding a body at forward, they need to ship a body out.

1 Obvious piece is Krebs.

Greenway makes some sense too, especially given the volume of adds in the bottom 6.

Either way, I don't see us trading for a player with an attitude based issue when we just spent millions buying out Skinner because of a lack of buy in and lack of versatility.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If Buffalo is adding a body at forward, they need to ship a body out.

1 Obvious piece is Krebs.

Greenway makes some sense too, especially given the volume of adds in the bottom 6.

Either way, I don't see us trading for a player with an attitude based issue when we just spent millions buying out Skinner because of a lack of buy in and lack of versatility.
With Gudas being their only RHD, I could see Clifton or Jokiharju potentially in a package, too.

If Dahlin, POwer, Samuelsson, & Byram are the top 4, I could see Gilbert, Bryson, and [Jokiharju or Clifton] being their 3rd pair+healthy scratch.

Reactions: Zman5778

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Ask Ducks fans what Zegras' attitude problem is. It's nonsense.

We really need a playmaker like that. Skinner wasn't like that.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Ask Ducks fans what Zegras' attitude problem is. It's nonsense.

We really need a playmaker like that. Skinner wasn't like that.

Then why are the world are the ducks trading a 23 year old top draft pick on a bridge deal? There has to be an off ice issue that hasn't been disclosed.

Reactions: Zman5778

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Then why are the world are the ducks trading a 23 year old top draft pick on a bridge deal? There has to be an off ice issue that hasn't been disclosed.
This is my concern and above that, why has nobody bought him yet? He's been reportedly on the block for like 2 seasons or at least there have been rumors he is, but for some reason other teams aren't beating down the door for a young cost controlled player with star potential. Why is he for sale? And why is nobody buying?

KrakenSabresMike

Oct 7, 2020
Maybe same exact reason we traded Savoie- they have drafted so many other young fwd top
End guys he’s the one who’s expendable

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
This is my concern and above that, why has nobody bought him yet? He's been reportedly on the block for like 2 seasons or at least there have been rumors he is, but for some reason other teams aren't beating down the door for a young cost controlled player with star potential. Why is he for sale? And why is nobody buying?
Ducks fan coming in peace but where do you guys get that we're shopping him? The initial rumor was made by Serevalli - same guy who announced last year that "John Gibson has played his last game as a Duck", only to cause Gibby come out with a statement the next day saying wtf. Sure Zegras is available, just like any other young core player on the Ducks – for a better player. Because media wants to talk about Zegras, everybody just keep yapping to get clicks. Well, maybe I'm totally wrong, but maybe you guys get a fresh perspective as I see a lot of discussion is you guys discussing getting Zegras, who despite the shitty season was still one of our best players last year (we only looked decent when he was on the ice). :)

Anyhow, I see now rumors about Vatrano. If Pat wanted assets, he'd trade him either at last deadline or at the draft. Pat needs to get us to win, so we'd need to be out of playoff position next year, or get a better player (unrealistic for a guy like Vatrano) to trade him.
Just my two cents, sorry if unapropriate. Still, it might be I have no idea what I'm talking about :)

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Because Verbeek is obsessed with size and physical strength, and Drysdale and Zegras are not his guys, he didn't choose them. And I think he'll even be okay if he doesn't trade him.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Update:

Here is the other reason why prices for top 6 wingers are likely insane. Demand is greatly outpacing the supply.
Sounds like our next scoring winger might have to be Rosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad