The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I dont totally dismiss Krebs. He just finished his ELC but he didnt serm to get the opportunity to develop.
Meh. Krebs played in the NHL for 2 years. Maybe he should have been in Rochester for one but he had more opportunity than most to show up and he just didn't. He had opportunity with much better linemates than he would see in in Rochester. I know it's easy to blame everything on the organization but this kid just didn't bring his game.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
So something with a possible Benson-Krebs-Greenway line would be two of the most responsible defensive players on the wing. In a way, it's a bit like an upskilled version of what Krebs was doing with Okposo and Girgensons. Benson draws contact and contests pucks better than anyone on the team. Greenway does drive the net and imposes his size. It could actually work.ou essentially have two shutdown lines in our 3rd and 4th lines, and give Krebs our two most responsible forwards to play with. If he can't make it work with them, then it was a lost cause to begin with.
I've been banging this drum for the past week, and I'm not sure if it's a coping mechanism or not, haha.

We essentially have two shutdown lines in the bottom 6 (hopefully). It could definitely work. Im still not keen on such a young center spine, and I don't like Krebs being the first C up if one of Cozens or Thompson gets injured.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I'm not worried.

This roster looks to be night and day more balanced than last year's roster, and last year's team likely makes the playoffs with even a semblance of defensive coaching and an average power play.

The team is still very young, but the players are all coming into their own and i believe we will see more consistency from the group as a whole.

The PP can't get any worse so I feel there is bound to be improvement there.

Ruff should have the team playing a better team defensive game, as Granato never really established a game plan with the players on the D side of the ice, so the team should not have to score as much to be in games.

I also think the kids are hungry. There is going to be a determined energy within this group. I think that is being underestimated.

There are so many variables that have changed, and I think the majority of them are for the better. Looking forward to this season and the start of a new era.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Then we need to trade him in a package with maybe rosen or 1 pick for something better . If Savoie is better thats amazing if he can play 3 c for us
I was hoping for an actual 3C and bring prospect in on the wing. Either way, I want Krebs packaged while he has some value left.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
W. Karlsson (M-NTC 10 team) Vegas is over the cap and their wingers are looking a little weak.

Roy (there is no trade protection)

Bennett (there is no trade protection)

Hartman (NMC)

Colton (NTC)

Kotkaniemi (there is no trade protection)

Drury (there is no trade protection)

McLeod (there is no trade protection) Oilers is over the cap

Novak (there is no trade protection)

Frost (there is no trade protection)

Gourde (M-NTC)

Dickinson (there is no trade protection)

Eller (there is no trade protection)

Suter (there is no trade protection)

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
Looking at how last year ended -

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch: Peterka gave them the speed to stretch things out that Skinner could not. They did not defend all that well IMO and both Tage and Alex struggled with health.

(Zucker)-Cozens-Quinn: Can Quinn stay healthy? Will Cozens not be a dumbass and show up ready to play? Is Zucker spent?

Benson-Krebs-Greenway: Krebs is not Mitts thus far but Mitts was also a disaster for a long time. The biggest point of growth could be here.

Malenstyn-Lafferty-Aube-Kubel: At first glace, looks like this line will get doing the physical play that draws the crowd and the rest of the team into the game. Not sure if Beck and Nick are going to be the same away from Dowd, but they do have 2/3rd of the Caps "hard assignment" line.

Rousek - spare.

I don't see them finding a way to improve the top 6 without it involving dealing part of the current top 6 in the manner they have operated.
Exactly how I see it currently too.

Good to not have to rely on the rooks Savoie & Kulich but boy would it be nice if Savoie came in and blew up camp with SPEED. Few pages ago somebody posted the speed stats of Malenstyn, Aube-kubel Lafferty, & Byram IN for Okposo, Oloffson, Mitts, & EJ OUT. If Savoie comes out blazing maybe Ruff can pivot adding more speed with Savoie (even if 1/4 way into the year) and put something together similar to the old Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov line of past with heavy o-zone starts.

Zucker/Trade-Thompson- Quinn (healthy TT & Quinn are gonna pop)
Benson-Cozens-Tuch (two-way matchup line)
Peterka-Savoie- Trade/Zucker (speed & heavy O-zone)
Malenstyn-Lafferty/Krebs-Greenway (matchup line)
x Aube-Kubel, Rousek, Kulich(AHL)

If we can get one more forward with either futures/Rosen and/or Jokiharju or Krebs, it makes our team so much more complete. There will be at least 1/2 forwards banged up for majority of season. KA is waiting patiently I believe but I'm concerned he does not have the go ahead to take on the salary even though we will have 7 mil in cap space. If they get a proven top 6 vet I'd throw him with TT & Quinn. If it's a younger, faster offensive forward, I'd throw with Peterka & Savoie.

Also I think the D pairs should look something like
Byram- Dahlin
Power- Samuelsson
Joker/R Johnson- Clifton

xGilbert, Bryson

Let Power and Samuelsson play the toughest 5 on 5 minutes. Sammy played right side before and did not look out of place.

Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
The problem is that it gives us two lines that will never score. All the pressure on a top six without a real playmaker who already fell flat on their faces last year. A top six counting on Zucker in a key role? And for the PP to Turn all the way around based on nothing but Seth Appert.

If they’re going with Krebs at 3C they need a massive top six acquisition. Not just to give them a shot at carrying the entire 5 on 5 scoring…but to help that PP and guard against inevitable injury that destroys the whole thing.

If they’re going with any actual hope to win…they need to add a better center than Krebs. Christ imagine one injury to Tage or Cozens. Suddenly the subpar 3C is the 2C. And the drought is 14 years. This running it barebones and crossing fingers for the best, unproven outcome is a bad call.

This roster isn’t it.

And year 14 isn’t the year to sit on assets and cap space in hopes that a guy with 4 goals last year who showed nothing in his chance at 3C last year suddenly shows us something he never has before.

Right now this offseason is the same as last year when Quinn went down. This time it’s a failure to replace Mittelstadt. You have a massive hole and not only the means to fill it…but an obligation to. Last year he did nothing and watched the offense burn. Tick tock.
That injury situation is when adams brings up savoie or kulich as 2c.. thats his plan. Not saying I agree in anyway but...

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Looking at how last year ended -

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch: Peterka gave them the speed to stretch things out that Skinner could not. They did not defend all that well IMO and both Tage and Alex struggled with health.

(Zucker)-Cozens-Quinn: Can Quinn stay healthy? Will Cozens not be a dumbass and show up ready to play? Is Zucker spent?

Benson-Krebs-Greenway: Krebs is not Mitts thus far but Mitts was also a disaster for a long time. The biggest point of growth could be here.

Malenstyn-Lafferty-Aube-Kubel: At first glace, looks like this line will get doing the physical play that draws the crowd and the rest of the team into the game. Not sure if Beck and Nick are going to be the same away from Dowd, but they do have 2/3rd of the Caps "hard assignment" line.

Rousek - spare.

I don't see them finding a way to improve the top 6 without it involving dealing part of the current top 6 in the manner they have operated.

Flip Benny with Zucker and this is how I see it. Zucker brings a speed and shoot first element that the Krebs line sorely lacks (his 150 shots last year would have ranked 7th on the Sabres).

I said it before, but I think Benny is primed for a huge breakout barring a sophomore slump or injury (yes, I'm already priming myself for a letdown). He had a .980 PDO at 5v5 last year, never had consistent linemates, and somehow still managed 26 points at 5v5. Additionally, he had the worst penalty luck of any player I've ever seen.

I can't describe it all, but there were so many signs that this kid is on the verge of being a big time point point producer, and the kid is already the best option that we have for the bumper on the power play. The only question is can he get his strength and stamina up to a functional NHL level. For now I'm stapling him to Cozens and Quinn and seeing what that line can become.

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
Wouldn't a quality top 6 forward chance the whole outlook of this line up? Easier said than done, right?

Attachments

• 449850030_10161174301650211_23183103751706571_n.jpg
    449850030_10161174301650211_23183103751706571_n.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Krebs is a really good passer. He sets up plays nice
Will be a different player with better players on his line.

Girgs had hands of stone and okposo was slow as molasses. Krebs did not have anything to work with. Did get a couple shifts with other players but how do you build chemistry with that

Benson and greenway will go to the net.

Sure trade him if you can get a player that we can’t resist but he will do fine

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

Girgs had hands of stone and okposo was slow as molasses. Krebs did not have anything to work with. Did get a couple shifts with other players but how do you build chemistry with that

To be fair, he got a chance on the top-9 after Mitts was traded and didn't look good. Not sure who his linemates were at that time.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

Has he only played with Zemgus and KO in the last few seasons? I'm not sure.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
I honestly think the team is almost there…a little more depth and the 3rd line center.

What I would do….with all the “almost ready” guys in Rochester, it seems like a no brainer thing to me about Krebs, he just hasn’t shown the “flashes” to me to keep him above Kuluch, Savoie, etc, nor is he a big body that could be a banger…his future, whatever that may be, is not in Buffalo.

Depth move….Krebs for Iaffalo

Then use one of 2025 1st, 2nd, Rosen, etc to bring in the 3rd line center. At this point an overpayment is to field a complete roster so who cares.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Krebs spent his first 70 or so games in the top 9. His most common linemate his first year was Cozens. He didn’t play with Girgs during that stretch of games and hardly with Okposo (around 20%).

Krebs ended up with Girgs/Okposo after struggling in that 70gm opportunity. Basically he “earned” his way onto that line. Since he wasn’t comfortable on the wing, he was stuck there with Tage/Cozens/Mitts ahead of him at center.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
We are still thinking that Krebs is good or holds any value ? If supposedly Tage was “nearly dealt” for a 5th, that means Krebs value is probably lower since Krebs has shown nothing to suggest he is anything more than a 20 point 4th line winger .

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Krebs spent his first 70 or so games in the top 9. His most common linemate his first year was Cozens. He didn’t play with Girgs during that stretch of games and hardly with Okposo (around 20%).

Krebs ended up with Girgs/Okposo after struggling in that 70gm opportunity. Basically he “earned” his way onto that line. Since he wasn’t comfortable on the wing, he was bascially stuck there with Tage/Cozens/Mitts ahead of him at center.
It would be mind boggling if KA finally came out and said we need to make the playoffs [paraphrasing] and then just left that big hole in the lineup. I don't think he's done.

Also, finally put my reading glasses on and noticed the mirror. Sorry for being such a douche.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I am willing to give Krebs a chance this year. Many players take a few years to mature. Mittelstadt is a perfect example of that.

No I am not saying Krebs is Mittelstadt only that sometimes it takes time.

I think its a make or break year for Krebs. At this point what choice do we have except to cross our fingers and hope things click for him. Help isn't coming.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It would be mind boggling if KA finally came out and said we need to make the playoffs [paraphrasing] and then just left that big hole in the lineup. I don't think he's done.
A post I made a little a little bit ago on this topic………..

I’m not sure they’re counting on him to be the 3C. I’m not sure where they expect him to be.

Adams was all over the place after he was asked if Krebs would be the 3C. Paraphrasing his comments….

Krebs still a young player. He showed signs late last year of starting to understand the defensive part of the game. He is a very very competitive kid. He’s getting better in different areas. He has great vision, he has great offensive skill, we know that and now he’s still going to find his way. I think there is a chance for his upside to be a player who plays further up the lineup. Whether thats as a center, which we believe he is, or maybe eventually could he slide to the wing? Yeah, we’re open to that. But what I really like is that we have a group of players that Lindy and the staff can decide how to put the lines together.

Thats a lot or words to not actually say one way or another if he’ll be the 3C
Also, finally put my reading glasses on and noticed the mirror. Sorry for being such a douche.
No worries

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I would love Adams to sign Adam Boqvist. Touted as the second best defenseman in the draft next to Dahlin.

Probably sign for 1 million bucks. Boqvist is from Sweden and maybe Dahlin can try to mentor him. The skill is there. Low risk vs high reward.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
To be fair, he got a chance on the top-9 after Mitts was traded and didn't look good. Not sure who his linemates were at that time.

Skinner and Greenway. Skinner did nothing. Krebs had two assists after Mitts moved and it wasn’t a lack of linemates. He was not good.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I would love Adams to sign Adam Boqvist. Touted as the second best defenseman in the draft next to Dahlin.

Probably sign for 1 million bucks. Boqvist is from Sweden and maybe Dahlin can try to mentor him. The skill is there. Low risk vs high reward.
He's probably approaching bust territory at this point and not sure how his skill set would really help this team, can't see him leap frogging anybody really, even Gilbert/Bryson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad