The International Hockey Wiki

WhiteTiger

Hockey Jesus
May 6, 2014
internationalhockeywiki.com
I hope nobody will mind, but I figured I would make a thread on my hockey history website, the International Hockey Wiki. I previously posted an few articles from it in the Women’s hockey history collector thread. I will give a short writeup below, and also use this thread to post updates on my research going forward.

This website is my passion. I have been heavily involved in hockey research for more than a decade, and the wiki has existed in its current form since 2016. I have invested thousands of hours into this project, which by now features over 18,000 articles, many of which on topics that cannot be found anywhere else online.

I like to focus on the rare, the obscure, and the unusual. If you’re looking for player stats from the past NHL season, you’ll want to stick with HockeyDB or EliteProspects. But if you’re interested in complete results from the 1903 Maritimes hockey season, 1934 Czechoslovak season, 1988 Finnish 4th tier league, or want to know when hockey was first played in Virginia, you’ll find it all on my site. I have gone through hundreds of newspapers from 40+ countries, every American state (even Hawaii!), and Canadian province. I still have some gaps to fill in as a few papers I need are not yet online, but I hope that will change in the coming years. Historical books, yearbooks, official documents, and various websites have also served as valuable sources of information in the compilation of the database.

I have tried to design a streamlined and easy to navigate website. All my pages are accessible within a few clicks from the main page. The following are some of my favorite areas of the site that I would recommend checking out:

Early North American Hockey Database - Covers hockey in Canada in great detail up to 1920 (with special focus also paid to the Maritimes up to 1931 and Ontario up to 1942), and the United States up to 1945.

Hockey around the world - My very first project from the early 2010s, this page discusses hockey activity in all sorts of obscure countries, such as Bolivia, Cambodia, Ecuador, Malawi, and many more. The bigger hockey countries have their own articles which are linked to both on that page and the Main Page. Links to articles on hockey in the 13 Canadian provinces/territories and 50 American states can be found on the countries’ respective pages.

List of worldwide competitions - A comprehensive list of leagues, cups and tournaments covered on the wiki, both national and international. Lists of domestic competitions are also included on the country pages.

List of seasons - Check out all my season pages, grouped by year, here, there are lots!

Some rare historical info that is not on my site can be found on the excellent French Hockey Archives (for Europe) and the Ice Hockey Wiki (for North America). I am good friends with the people who run both projects, and we have shared stats numerous times. I see no point in duplicating massive amounts of info, and all three sites have areas they cover particularly well. I should also note, before anyone else does, that many of my team pages are very out of date. I will try and update them in the coming months.

I would love to hear any questions or comments. Hope everyone enjoys my work.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
That is pretty amazing work... I see you have gathered even the district championship results from early Finnish hockey. Truely impressive.

Loved alsco scroll through the lower division of Finnish hockey from my childhood years. Many long time ago defunct teams. And those lovely never ending outdoor classics... :D

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
One of my pet peeves is the first ever Finnish hockey match that it is claimed to be the game on 15. Jan 1928 between Tampereen Pyrintö and Tampereen Palloilijat. I see you have it in your page and I know lot of respectable sources have it so I am not surprised. But I´m doubtfull if it ever happened. Atleast in the way it could be counted official.

1) I have not find any newspaper sources mentioning that game been played. Newspapers only talks about hockey exhibitions and one mentions exhibition game betweet Pyrintö 1 and Pyrintö 2.

2) At the time there was bit of conflict between the teams especially regarding the skating rink.

3) TaPa took hockey part of its progran bit later that month.

4) Old TV documentary Kun Jääkiekko Suomeen Tuli does mention only that there was played exhibition games in 14. and 15. of January. This is significant because the document interviews two of Tiitola brothers (Martti and Jaakko), They were members of Tampereen Palloilijat. Martti mentions that the first official hockey game in Finland would have been the game between HPS and Tapa later that year.

5) In newspaper Aamulehti it is mentioned both in 25. and 26. of January 1929 that Tampereen Palloilijat and Tampereen Pyrintö will play their first official friendly game in Jan 27 of 1929. It does mention that teams had played few practice games previous year. (TaPa won tthat first official game 10-1)

There is also great history book named Näin Kaikki Alkoi. Published in 2021. It covers the early years of Finnish hockey pretty thoroughly but does not mention that particular game.

WhiteTiger

Hockey Jesus
May 6, 2014
One of my pet peeves is the first ever Finnish hockey match that it is claimed to be the game on 15. Jan 1928 between Tampereen Pyrintö and Tampereen Palloilijat. I see you have it in your page and I know lot of respectable sources have it so I am not surprised. But I´m doubtfull if it ever happened. Atleast in the way it could be counted official.

1) I have not find any newspaper sources mentioning that game been played. Newspapers only talks about hockey exhibitions and one mentions exhibition game betweet Pyrintö 1 and Pyrintö 2.

2) At the time there was bit of conflict between the teams especially regarding the skating rink.

4) Old TV documentary Kun Jääkiekko Suomeen Tuli does mention only that there was played exhibition games in 14. and 15. of January. This is significant because the document interviews two of Tiitola brothers (Martti and Jaakko), They were members of Tampereen Palloilijat. Martti mentions that the first official hockey game in Finland would have been the game between HPS and Tapa later that year.

5) In newspaper Aamulehti it is mentioned both in 25. and 26. of January 1929 that Tampereen Palloilijat and Tampereen Pyrintö will play their first official friendly game in Jan 27 of 1929. It does mention that teams had played few practice games previous year. (TaPa won tthat first official game 10-1)

There is also great history book named Näin Kaikki Alkoi. Published in 2021. It covers the early years of Finnish hockey pretty thoroughly but does not mention that particular game.

Yeah, I was never able to find a newspaper source for that game when I built my archives, either. I’m going to add a note that it‘s often said to be the first game, but no contemporary sources have ever been found to confirm it. The earliest game I’ve found reported on in a newspaper was HPS beating TaPa 3-1 on February 5, 1928 - which was also noted in the documentary you mentioned.

Thank you for your kind words about my research. Finnish hockey has been a lot of fun to delve into. Of course, the Jääkiekkokirja books were a major help to my post-1961 efforts. I also ordered official documents published by the Finnish Ice Hockey Federation with standings from the Suomi-sarja and Maakuntasarja from 1947-1960.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Whoa these are cool links to check out... I do have to try to find the database stats for the current Ontario Hockey League (which had started as the old Ontario Hockey Association many years ago) and was trying to pinpoint the exact first OHA season and add standings and playoff results for the OHA teams and later OHL teams too... would be amazing to finally finish the OHL database projects at last...

Reactions: WhiteTiger

WhiteTiger

Hockey Jesus
May 6, 2014
Whoa these are cool links to check out... I do have to try to find the database stats for the current Ontario Hockey League (which had started as the old Ontario Hockey Association many years ago) and was trying to pinpoint the exact first OHA season and add standings and playoff results for the OHA teams and later OHL teams too... would be amazing to finally finish the OHL database projects at last...

Thanks. You may have already found them, but I have all OHA standings and results from the first season in 1890-91 (1892-93 for the junior series) to 1919-20, researched in original newspapers. Ontario Hockey Association

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks. You may have already found them, but I have all OHA standings and results from the first season in 1890-91 (1892-93 for the junior series) to 1919-20, researched in original newspapers. Ontario Hockey Association
yeah.. I want to try to finish the OHA/OMJHL/OHL standings and playoff results database at last after a long time... as I have done the QMJHL and WHL databases already all competely..

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

I'm sure you've looked into the topic much more than I have, but my impression is that there had been some hockey equipment imported from Canada utilized by sportsmen in Tampere already for a while and so when the Finnish championships in speed skating took place in the city in January 1928 it was then used for this showcase event. I think it's quite plausible that it wouldn't have got much attention at the time, but someone later decided to present it as the start of organized hockey in Finland, probably had some spectators and all even if it was just a few guys playing shinny.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I'm sure you've looked into the topic much more than I have, but my impression is that there had been some hockey equipment imported from Canada utilized by sportsmen in Tampere already for a while and so when the Finnish championships in speed skating took place in the city in January 1928 it was then used for this showcase event. I think it's quite plausible that it wouldn't have got much attention at the time, but someone later decided to present it as the start of organized hockey in Finland, probably had some spectators and all even if it was just a few guys playing shinny.
Yes you are right. And in fact without doubt hockey/shinny was showcased on those two days and there were spectators. It was even advertised that there would be exhibition betwwen Pyrintö 1 and Pyrintö 2.

But in later newspapers it is presented just really as only Pyrintö members showcasing hockey and that was widely reported. Seen it atleast in papers of Hämeenlinna and Turku along with ofcourse Tampere. No result, no lineups or anything was reported. I have no reason to believe and many reasons to not believe Tampereen Palloilijat was in any official way participating as club on that event. They were members of different associations at the time when lot of people were accusing Pyrintö was trying to destroy Bandy in Finland. TaPa had to withdraw from Bandy series because hey now did not have place to play. edit. The skating rink was owned by Pyrintö. TaPa had played Bandy there on rent but now because of hockey rink it was impossible.

I am mostly just saying that not anykind of official game between two different teams was played.

But indeed it is possible that there were players that in future Represnted TaPa involved in those showcasings. I mean even some of Tiitola brothers had represented Pyrintö in athletics. And who knows maybe they even selected the teams in those showcasing in some way using those backgrounds. But there is no indication of even that in papers.

But yes it is easy to see how this all could have created false memory in peoples memories.

Last edited:

WhiteTiger

Hockey Jesus
May 6, 2014
Added lots of new info to my Ontario season listings, including significant coverage of the mercantile hockey scene from the inter-war era, featuring competitions such as the Toronto Mercantile Hockey League, Toronto Major Commercial Hockey League, St. Catharines Industrial League, Niagara Industrial League, Hamilton Mercantile Hockey League, and the Kitchener Industrial Hockey League.

Mercantile was a somewhat forgotten level of play, overshadowed by professional, senior, and junior, but it garnered considerable interest in the 1930s and 1940s, with important games in Toronto drawing as many as 8,000 fans. There were even inter-league playdowns staged in 1938 and 1939. As one would imagine, the teams were sponsored by local companies, and players were often employed by them, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: seventieslord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad