The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
Östlund and Rosen are the obvious extraneous ones after this draft - Konsta is more of what we need then Östlund at that 3 c eventually…unless we trade cozens or tage ( or move one to wing)
We have two prospects that track to be centers. Ostlund is one of them. Our current roster has a very dubious center spine. So yeah, prospects need to be traded, if only for developmental reasons. But not from an area of weakness.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Giving up a ransom for Zegras then having to fit him into the long term cap structure is much more of a problem.

And while Adams talks about 'winning now' - he isn't going to be going all in to the point that no season beyond this one matters...
Hes under contract for 2 season and then a RFA, plenty of time to figure out the cap or if he is a longterm piece.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
Absolutely, we don't know what will come out of our prospects, but the problem is that there are too many of them, and we already have guys like Thompson, Cozens, Tuch, Quinn, Peterka and Benson, who are the core. And if you look at our attacking prospects, there are just too many of them, there will be no room for most of them: Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Wahlberg, Ostlund, Helenius. Guys like Neuchev and Poltapov can also surprise and be middle-six players.
I think a couple of those prospects are not like the others though. Wahlberg in particular fits more of a power forward mold than that of a skill forward from my understanding. I don't think he'd be used in the same manner as most of the others and could even end up being the future at 3C long term.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
What's the problem with Zegras? He's a great, positive guy, a talented playmaker, and he's moved into defense. He seems like a perfect fit on LW with Cozens or Thompson. He fits perfectly into the core team, he will help on the PP and create chances for our shooters. I think I trust the Anaheim fans more than the tabloids.
View attachment 891913
113 ev minutes is an extremely small sample size. What did his charts look like the year before when he presumably played more than that?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If I were a betting man on the forward lines and the talk of using Cozens for a two way setup:

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch - Top line
Greenway-Cozens-Benson - Two way/Matchup line
Zucker-Savoie/Kulich- Quinn - Sheltered offensive line
Malenstyn-Lafferty-NUK
Krebs

I think the 3C spot is going to be open competition.
Nice idea. What if Adams traded a 1st, Rosen, and a B prospect to Anaheim for Zegras?

Quinn - Thompson - Tuch
- Top line. Quinn looked better at LW two seasons ago and he prefers it. Thompson needs wingers who will pass, and this line seems to work for everyone.

Benson - Cozens - Greenway
- Match-up line. Cozens as the Sabres' Cirelli. Benson with the hockey IQ and motor to make the line work. Greenway playing a simpler game with two players who aren't afraid to get their noses dirty.

Zucker - Zegras - Peterka
- Overmatch line. Sheltered starts against lesser competition. Peterka on his off hand. Zegras and Peterka would be hard to handle as a speed line, and Zucker is the veteran to pick up the scraps.

Melenstyn - Lafferty - Aube-Kubel
- Heavy work load line. Defensive zone starts, basically what the Caps had with Lafferty in the place of Dowd.

Krebs working himself into the lineup or traded.

It's not bad.

PatLaFontaineASMR

Jul 9, 2014
Parts Unkown
What's the problem with Zegras? He's a great, positive guy, a talented playmaker, and he's moved into defense. He seems like a perfect fit on LW with Cozens or Thompson. He fits perfectly into the core team, he will help on the PP and create chances for our shooters. I think I trust the Anaheim fans more than the tabloids.
View attachment 891913
Why is it only 113 minutes EV? He played 452 EV minutes this season.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
113 ev minutes is an extremely small sample size. What did his charts look like the year before when he presumably played more than that?
But still, it's a sample size that's not like his last one. I agree it's small, but to me it shows he's not lazy on defense and has started to change his game.

Why is it only 113 minutes EV? He played 452 EV minutes this season.
I have no idea, I only found this card, I don't have access to EV. This screenshot was probably taken when he played 113 minutes at that point.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think a couple of those prospects are not like the others though. Wahlberg in particular fits more of a power forward mold than that of a skill forward from my understanding. I don't think he'd be used in the same manner as most of the others and could even end up being the future at 3C long term.
I agree that Wahlberg is an outlier here and I wouldn't want to trade him. I was just pointing out that we have too many prospects and there won't be room for most of them.

Reactions: WhereAreTheCookies

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I still think the buyout was dumb, not because I like Skinner but I knew we weren't replacing his offense and his cap hit next year is gonna suck even more.

I feel like the fanbase drove this to happen because Adams is feeling the pressure of his job and needs to score some points with the fans.
You think he scored points with fans but buying out Skinner and not using the cap space he gained? I’d say he did the opposite but not using the space and proving that there’s an internal cap.

When we all pounded the table asking for a Skinner buyout, the implication was that the cap savings would be used elsewhere. They may have well kept him on the team if they aren’t using the savings.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Johnson is ahead of Bryson but Bryson should be the one on the big club sitting in the pressbox while Johnson plays regularly in Roch.

You should not have ELC in the press box. Others are ahead of rijo for the press box, but hes ahead of them for top 6.

I don't know this is true but if so, the idea that paying about 21 mil to three decent Cs is too much is not really looking at the big picture. If Mitts signed for 7x7, the team would have all three at 21 mil for the next six seasons (TT and Cozens deals ending a year earlier).

It's a combination of not signing your 3C long germans the costs with it. Ideally your 3c should be below 4.
By 2030, would you like to guess or imagine what three top Cs would cost most teams. Right now there are sevens teams paying their top 3 Cs that much, and another seven teams paying at least 18 mil for their top 3 Cs. It would be a great cap value for all three at 21 mil for six years. It would also provide roster flexibility, and if a prospect ever forced somebody out that C would either move to wing or get traded for a good return.

What Buffalo wouldn't have though, is a big roster hole with only hopes for prospects to develop in another 2-4 years, and lame pressers where KA says how hard it is to make trades for impact players.

They only want something short to bridge. Same with a RD. Sign 2-3 yrs, not 5+
As for Byram, many posters have echoed my concerns for a type of player that filled a need, not another offense-only LHD. How would we all feel if KA traded Jack Quinn for Carter Hart or Spencer Knight? Ok great...value is about right, but why the hell do we need another promising young goalie for a type of RH FW that we don't have enough of?

I would put Karlsson or Roy ahead of Zegras.

But, Zegras being signed for this year and next and being an RFA in summer 2026 is way more of a good idea than Necas or Ehlers who will likely both need long term, big money deals before they play a single game as a Sabre.

:thumbd:
It depends on yhist. I done see Vegas giving up roy.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
So you want trades, multiple 'top six' acquisitions, etc. But you also don't want to give up anything?!

Including the RFAs we'll have 12 F signed to NHL contracts. None of these players should be spending too much time in the press box. You also have Rosen D+4, Kulich, Savoie, Ostlund D+3, Helenius D+1, former R1 picks who could all be in the picture. Where the hell do you fit everyone in, both this year and beyond ?

BTW I'm somewhat with you on Krebs. I'm not sure he'll ever develop into what we hoped when acquiring him - but his dog house status on this forum is not deserved.
Nice strawman. Did you miss the post where I offered up either of our best prospect and a 1st and a dman?

Not wanting to move a few roster players != won't give up anything

No need to act like that.

Bahgawd that’s Kevyn Adams’ music.
Just like Tage, just like Mitts, just like UPL.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Nice idea. What if Adams traded a 1st, Rosen, and a B prospect to Anaheim for Zegras?

Quinn - Thompson - Tuch
- Top line. Quinn looked better at LW two seasons ago and he prefers it. Thompson needs wingers who will pass, and this line seems to work for everyone.

Benson - Cozens - Greenway
- Match-up line. Cozens as the Sabres' Cirelli. Benson with the hockey IQ and motor to make the line work. Greenway playing a simpler game with two players who aren't afraid to get their noses dirty.

Zucker - Zegras - Peterka
- Overmatch line. Sheltered starts against lesser competition. Peterka on his off hand. Zegras and Peterka would be hard to handle as a speed line, and Zucker is the veteran to pick up the scraps.

Melenstyn - Lafferty - Aube-Kubel
- Heavy work load line. Defensive zone starts, basically what the Caps had with Lafferty in the place of Dowd.

Krebs working himself into the lineup or traded.

It's not bad.
Looks very good . Thats something they should do

RWatson29

Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Feels like Detroit has improved more than us and could be a problem.

Washington too
Washington I see for sure, detroit has added tarasenko basically and motte up front and then Gustafson to their d and talbot to their net. I don’t think they got any better because they lost quite a few guys like Walman/fabbri/Perron probably with others. They have suspect D and goaltending and I’d have us above them tbh if we’re just looking at the teams

Reactions: Dingo44

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Feels like Detroit has improved more than us and could be a problem.

Washington too

Everyone said the same thing about Ottawa last year and look what good that did them.

Also, I’m of the opinion that by far the biggest change in this roster and how it plays will come from finally having a real NHL head coach behind the bench.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think Washington definitely did go from pushover to another team we'll have to compete with for a playoff spot. They just don't really have a shot at making a real run if they get in the next couple years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad