The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
My estimation of what happened, at the TDL, Adams didn't want to commit to Mitts (because of the timeline he had at the time) just as you said. And he probably felt good about that decision as he felt he had time to mature Krebs into the Mittelstadt role (3C), so he felt comfortable making that decision, as he made mention at the time of the TDL of putting more responsibility onto Krebs.

But then I think Terry and Adams talked closer to the end of the year, one of the important games between post-TDL and end of the season, where the leash got extremely tight and Adams seat had a massive increase of heat applied to it. Hence, why the presser of Granato's firing was a completely different tone and had a different sense of urgency to it.

I think if Adams of the TDL had the knowledge that today's Adams had, I think he commits to Mittelstadt and doesn't trade him. I think at the TDL, he most likely thought he had more time, and so he made a hockey trade to get something for Mittelstadt.
This is probably a real close summary. I just can't understand how they didn't realize by the TDL that the season was trash and that they were going to need to answer for that and DO SOMETHING. Trading away a guy that just hit his prime amongst a FW group that struggled mightily, for a younger duplicate of their best D-men, shows that they really didn't have a good handle on the team or fan base. Thinking you have time for Krebs and prospects to fill that roster hole is just flat out being removed from reality, or stuck in whatever bubble they've been in.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
Ok, enough about the metric.

How good are these players?

Byram
Jokiharju
Samuelsson
Clifton
Byram - top 4 potential. Not consistent, healthy enough to achieve that yet. To me he's an upgrade on Joki right now and we're hoping he settles in playing at a consistently high level sooner than later.

Joki - replaceable bottom pairing defender. Not terrible when he's at his best, but doesn't do anything particularly well.

Samuelsson - top 4 potential. Not consistent or healthy enough to achieve that yet. He's the type of rangy defenseman we need very badly, but it remains to be seen whether he'll be good enough.

Clifton - bottom pairing D who brings physicality and a little more experience. Still replaceable for an upgrade

Our D is the weakest part of our team that no one talks about any more. Getting Byram helped raise the potential, but we really only have 1 good defenseman right now and then a bunch of guys we hope can get there.

I get why the team thinks they are good enough here for now, but I think there have been more missed opportunities for upgrades this offseason and I hope it doesn't come back to bite us... again.

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
I totally understand the hockey reasons for buying out Skinner and support that completely. After our RFAs are signed we should have about 9 million in cap space. Not using that money is a f***ing joke. Rochester is already way too loaded with players and also WAY too young. One of them won’t get good minutes simply because of the volume. 2 days ago I was saying It’s July 1st he has time. It’s July 3rd and everyone is packing up to go to their Lake House. C’mon Kevyn. Make. A. Trade.

Reactions: Fjordy

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Not sure if this rumor is legit but it’s fun to discuss at least.

Rumor is Tuch + 2nd for Ehlers and Iafallo
Feels like a far amount of value from Draft Night to Free Agency was dropped. I'm going to say this is probably not close to being true, just based on the high evaluation standards Chevy has for his players and the lack of leaking from Buffalo's end.

As for the package itself, I like the fit of Tuch being in Winnipeg, and I like the fit of the players to Buffalo, but Adams already has budget issues with him needing to sign certain RFA to be that I don't think he would take on 2 UFA to be as well.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Looks pointless for Buffalo.
Why do you say that? It scares me that both would be UFA’s after the season. But I think we’d be getting the best player in the trade (Ehlers) who I think easily replaces Tuch’s production and getting another really useful player that this team needs. Iafallo is a hard worker, loves to be 1st in on the forecheck, will engage in board battles, get to the front of the net. He’s a responsible 2 way player that can clean up teammate’s mistakes.

They’d be banking on being able to get both players signed before next year though.

Feels like a far amount of value from Draft Night to Free Agency was dropped. I'm going to say this is probably not close to being true, just based on the high evaluation standards Chevy has for his players and the lack of leaking from Buffalo's end.

As for the package itself, I like the fit of Tuch being in Winnipeg, and I like the fit of the players to Buffalo, but Adams already has budget issues with him needing to sign certain RFA to be that I don't think he would take on 2 UFA to be as well.
Good points.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
They'll LTIR Backstrom and ditch a couple mediocre D-men, that's it.

They could LTIR Backstrom and:

1. Cut Sandin no replacement 21 man roster, or
  2. Cut Sandin and (sign 1 or 2 for 22/23). or
    1. TVR, or
    2. Bear
  3. Cut TVR and, (signing 0 or 1 replacements)
    1. Bear, or
    2. Fehervary
Or they can try to dump a Forward which I find less likely.

Not sure if this rumor is legit but it’s fun to discuss at least.

Rumor is Tuch + 2nd for Ehlers and Iafallo

Wouldn't a 2nd for Iafallo make more sense?

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Why do you say that? It scares me that both would be UFA’s after the season. But I think we’d be getting the best player in the trade (Ehlers) who I think easily replaces Tuch’s production and getting another really useful player that this team needs. Iafallo is a hard worker, loves to be 1st in on the forecheck, will engage in board battles, get to the front of the net. He’s a responsible 2 way player that can clean up teammate’s mistakes.

As above, makes more sense to just trade for Iafallo

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
Move Tuch for two impending UFA's? I'll take a hard pass.
Yeah, Tuch is among the last forwards I would want to trade off of this team. Between role, age, contract, and being from the area, I just don't see it happening. They need more guys like Tuch, not fewer. But hey, I said the same thing about Casey Mittelstadt, and now we have another young puck moving LD for some reason.

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

They’d be banking on being able to get both players signed before next year though.
Because it doesn't make sense for us to trade Tuch. If you want Iafallo, offer them a pick or some other prospect that doesn't matter to us.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
There were plenty of people on the addition by subtraction train.
I still think the buyout was dumb, not because I like Skinner but I knew we weren't replacing his offense and his cap hit next year is gonna suck even more.

I feel like the fanbase drove this to happen because Adams is feeling the pressure of his job and needs to score some points with the fans.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
They had a press conference for Dennis Gilbert this morning. Did we actually get relegated? I don’t think we are an NHL team at this point.

We’re one of the youngest teams and didn’t finish in the bottom ten last year. We aren’t one of the worst teams, right now we’re in a cycle of mediocrity and below-averageness barring several breakouts of young players.

If our young defensmen figure it out as a unit, and our young forwards take a step forward, then playoffs. If not, then we’ll be in that bottom 8-12 range.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Players who absolutely needed to go (Skinner, KO, ZG, Comrie, Jost, EJ, VO) are all gone. Our four worst players last season, a guy who wasn't guying to go full-buy-in with Ruff, and the captains who would have played under their 5th and 7th coaches.

I'm pretty hopeful. If our PP can be top-15, and UPL is as good as he was last season, I think we can make the playoffs,.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
They had a press conference for Dennis Gilbert this morning. Did we actually get relegated? I don’t think we are an NHL team at this point.

Buffalo Kid - former St. Joe's player - former Junior Sabre - coming back to Buffalo and by choice? That's fairly news worthy. Plus he's in the area, they're running Dev Camp, and he probably came down anyway to check it out and maybe sign some things and get some Sabres gear.

I'll be shocked if they don't get another press conference going with Zucker.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I think they did it because he's a local guy and the media wanted to talk to him.

I wonder if the plan is to trade Jokiharju and go with Dahlin, Power, Byram, and Samuelsson in the top 4 and Gilbert, Bryson, and Clifton as the bottom 3?
I've lost my mind with them JB. I'm not convinced they can complete a trade, much less complete one that helps the team...

What you say makes sense...until Jokiharju is flipped for a conditional 6th, because Adams is Gil Gunderson the GM.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
There have been a bunch of hockey people positing that he’s among the more NHL-ready players from the 2024 draft, I think in large part due to his mature two-way game and performance in Worlds alongside/against NHL players. We had Benson make the team last year and be one of our best two-way forwards, so I wouldn’t so summarily dismiss the idea of Helenius following a similar path.
Benson was super young. Konsta is even younger, it just won't happen. His age makes it an easy out to stash for a year and they have plenty of top prospects to get looks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad