The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Buffalo Sabres

Buffalo has one of the most exciting groups of young talent in the NHL, with Tage Thompson, Dylan Cozens, Rasmus Dahlin and JJ Peterka supplemented by Owen Power, Zach Benson, Jack Quinn, Peyton Krebs and Bowen Byram. All of these players are either locked up long-term or under team control as restricted free agents. In some ways, this makes Ehlers a perfect fit: Buffalo could absorb his $6 million AAV in 2024-25, while not being tied to it the following season — which just so happens to be when Peterka, Quinn and Byram will all need new contracts.

The Sabres played to a positive goal differential last season, despite missing the playoffs by seven points. They’re an intriguing mix of on the way up and in need of improvement, whether it comes from their own development or an upgrade like Ehlers. Buffalo also has the top prospect pool in the NHL and all of its own picks in the first four rounds of the next three drafts, offering a ton of options for futures-based trades. Matthew Fairburn has recently written about the possibility of Buffalo moving the No. 11 pick.

That’s where things get tricky, though.

It’s easy to talk about that pick or to covet prospects like Noah Ostlund. That calibre of prospect seems like a difficult ask for one year of Ehlers’ services. Matthew Savoie would have intrigue, too, but also seems like the sort of prospect Buffalo would resist moving. The undersized overager tore apart the WHL last season. Defencemen Ryan Johnson, Nikita Novikov and Maxim Strbak may also have appeal to the Jets, whose prospect pool is deeper up front than on the back end.

Even the Jets beat writer for The Athletic couldn't dream of getting for Ehlers what Chevy apparently asked Adams for.

Everyone knows the situation Adams is in.

He's going to get taken advantage of.
Not if he continues to draw a line on what he wants to give up.

He's done it with Chychrun. He's done it with Ehlers.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

Even the Jets beat writer for The Athletic couldn't dream of getting for Ehlers what Chevy apparently asked Adams for.

I chuckled to myself a few days ago when the Ehlers talk started. Grass grows faster than anything that would come from KA and Chevy talking trades. One poker hand between them would put the dealer to sleep.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
That is correct. But this is where your pro scouting has to be excellent and you have to do your homework. I;m assuming if they got to the point they were talking extension with Ehlers, they had done the homework. He's thrived in a defensive first system for a bit, so I'm assuming he'd be pretty close to a system fit with Ruff.

I'd much rather swing small and not go for home runs, but I wouldn't call re-doing your 4th line and overpaying a bottom six winger a single or a double. I'd qualify all of yesterdays as a walk or a bunt. Just low hanging fruit that had to be done, the very bare minimum to field a team next year.

But its time to drive some runs now. The roster is 1-2 large adds away or 2-3 medium adds (and subtractions). But putting your bat away from the summer is not an option.
As far as Ehlers is concerned I'd hope Adams was just doing his due diligence rather than having any deep interest. Particularly when you consider what we have coming in the pipeline, I'd see him as a poor long term signing.

I think you have to give Adams credit for the Malenstyn / Lafferty / Kubel moves. We all knew there was a huge need there - truly the biggest need this roster had - and he's filled that need with three useful bodies. You can argue those moves are much easier to make than blockbuster trades - but he's got it done never the less. FWIW i also liked the Gilbert & Reimer moves - again very low key - but on past years we'd have been here criticising him for not making the obvious moves.

I disagree that we are so many big moves away. As i posted earlier - there really aren't any open roster slots available. If we're making moves at this point - it will likely require roster players to move the other way. I think you & others are expecting too much. A complete roster overhaul was never going to happen.

Reactions: HOOats and Digable5

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
It truly is daunting.
Florida? Um no. Cup winner and will be strong.
Toronto? Too much scoring power.
Boston? never smart to bet they will actually decline. Even if they did, they could decline by 15-20 points and we still wouldn't catch them.
Tampa? very doubtful they decline as well

Rangers are somehow good, and not old and ok with the cap.

I guess it would have to be Caps, Devils or Canes. And even then, you're pushing someone out to then play the top seed most likely in one of the divisions.

Edit: you also have to assume Ottawa, Detroit, Montreal, Pit don't also make a strong push.

SMHHHHHH. Depressing!

Teams definitely better than the Sabres next year - Florida, Toronto, Boston, NYR, Tampa - your list.

Team also better - Canes (but not as much)

Team maybe better - NJ Devils.

The rest:

NYI are old and getting older, had an underwhelming free agency no matter how much the "model" likes Duclair, and barely made it last year.
Pittsburgh - see NYI except they did less and haven't any room to do much of anything
Ottawa - I'd argue they are worse now than last year and they weren't good last year
Red Wings - didn't improve and the Yzerplan is a mystery
Flyers - unless Torts can drag them in it looks like the rebuild is finally on, though Michkov could work a miracle?
Capitals - see NYI except older, but did more in free agency so good for them I guess. Big bet on PLD and in hoping Lindgren can repeat last year.
Canadiens - still have a way to go
Columbus - see Montreal

I think we can and should be better than all of those teams.

Jack Hughes it is then. What do we think? Joki and a 4th gets it done right?

Maybe the Northeastern U Jack Hughes who was drafted by the Kings.

Reactions: Selanne00008

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I mean, he's just not going to acquire anyone then...which, is exactly what seems to have happened.

As far as Ehlers is concerned I'd hope Adams was just doing his due diligence rather than having any deep interest. Particularly when you consider what we have coming in the pipeline, I'd see him as a poor long term signing.

I think you have to give Adams credit for the Malenstyn / Lafferty / Kubel moves. We all knew there was a huge need there - truly the biggest need this roster had - and he's filled that need with three useful bodies. You can argue those moves are much easier to make than blockbuster trades - but he's got it done never the less. FWIW i also liked the Gilbert & Reimer moves - again very low key - but on past years we'd have been here criticising him for not making the obvious moves.

I disagree that we are so many big moves away. As i posted earlier - there really aren't any open roster slots available. If we're making moves at this point - it will likely require roster players to move the other way. I think you & others are expecting too much. A complete roster overhaul was never going to happen.

Adams has done some good things this offseason.

But, really, if we break camp with 7M+ of cap space...it's what he didn't do that the focus is going to be. he has to find a body for the top 6. Ideally a 3C and top 6F. Maybe that means Krebs is your 13th F. Maybe that means a forward is going back the other way. Maybe you have to ship Greenway off to make it work.

The most likely outcome for the Sabres is that we're done other than RFAs. And if that's the case...I'd consider this offseason a failure, because the team isn't significantly better than last years team (if at all) when the promise of the summer was aggressive improvement. Swapping out the 4th line and skinner for Zucker is anything but aggressive improvement.

Reactions: Fjordy

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I mean, he's just not going to acquire anyone then...which, is exactly what seems to have happened.

Adams has done some good things this offseason.

But, really, if we break camp with 7M+ of cap space...it's what he didn't do that the focus is going to be. he has to find a body for the top 6. Ideally a 3C and top 6F. Maybe that means Krebs is your 13th F. Maybe that means a forward is going back the other way. Maybe you have to ship Greenway off to make it work.

The most likely outcome for the Sabres is that we're done other than RFAs. And if that's the case...I'd consider this offseason a failure, because the team isn't significantly better than last years team (if at all) when the promise of the summer was aggressive improvement. Swapping out the 4th line and skinner for Zucker is anything but again gressive improvement.
As I've said already - the Skinner buyout was a bad decision. I really don't like signing Zucker as his 'replacement' either but at least it's a one year deal. That's still infinitely better than trading a ransom for Ehlers then being forced to sign him to an extension he won't be worth.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I don’t think we will either. I am concerned about our 3rd line center. Besides that I think they are shaping up to be a good team.
Agreed, mostly. It's kind of dependent on our top 6 being better (specifically Tage, Tuch and Cozens).

But if they rebound, I think we're going to be in the hunt all year.......unless the Krebs line is unplayable.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Teams definitely better than the Sabres next year - Florida, Toronto, Boston, NYR, Tampa - your list.

Team also better - Canes (but not as much)

Team maybe better - NJ Devils.

The rest:

NYI are old and getting older, had an underwhelming free agency no matter how much the "model" likes Duclair, and barely made it last year.
Pittsburgh - see NYI except they did less and haven't any room to do much of anything
Ottawa - I'd argue they are worse now than last year and they weren't good last year
Red Wings - didn't improve and the Yzerplan is a mystery
Flyers - unless Torts can drag them in it looks like the rebuild is finally on, though Michkov could work a miracle?
Capitals - see NYI except older, but did more in free agency so good for them I guess. Big bet on PLD and in hoping Lindgren can repeat last year.
Canadiens - still have a way to go
Columbus - see Montreal

I think we can and should be better than all of those teams.

Maybe the Northeastern U Jack Hughes who was drafted by the Kings.

Can we call the first 2 games of the regular season MUST WIN???

October 4th - Devils
October 5th - Devils

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Great. How many of those players are available? This isn't NHL24 where you can give a team a 1st round pick for whatever you want.
There are probably 4-5 guys that are available and would fit what the Sabres are shopping for.

Wonder if the Trouba fiasco creates an opportunity to go after Filip Chytil.
No trade protection, right age at 25 and locked in for 3 more years.
Chytil is untouchable.

I couldn't resist.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I suppose Kev always meant a Skinner replacement when he said he wanted a top 6 forward. He also corrected himself and went from 3 to 4 bottom 6 players so maybe he goes and trades for a 5/6M center with team control. Not the tippy top of the cap but close enough.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Ruff has coached worse teams to the playoffs.
Never mind Ruff... What about a full season of UPL playing like he did during the second half of last year? A healthy Thompson? A healthy Quinn? An actual grind/energy line that makes the team tougher to play against & makes other players play harder ? The addition of Byram for a full year? Improvement from an 18yo rookie Benson ? Other rookies possibly breaking into the team?

There's lots of reason to believe that this squad is better than last year's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad