The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Peters - No one wants to deal with Buffalo

HFBoard Fans - He is full of poop

*Checks transactions...No one coming here*

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Peters - No one wants to deal with Buffalo

HFBoard Fans - He is full of poop

*Checks transactions...No one coming here*

This is the Peters who said Kane wanted 3x6 then signed for 1x4 with some bonuses literally minutes later?

That’s the Peters you’ve chosen to defend tonight. That’s the hill you’re dying on?

Reactions: Zman5778

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
There's been chatter he wants north of $8M per year on an extension, mostly from Flyer bloggos and such. Good luck with that.

I'd be interested in at least having that discussion. He's reasonably consistent 60+ point winger, plays in all situations.

Don't like the idea going 8M for a smallish forward, especially in the post aging curve and just getting rid of Skinner.

But...adding an actual vet leader is good.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'd be interested in at least having that discussion. He's reasonably consistent 60+ point winger, plays in all situations.

Don't like the idea going 8M for a smallish forward, especially in the post aging curve and just getting rid of Skinner.

But...adding an actual vet leader is good.

Is Konecny an "actual vet leader" though? He hasn't exactly won anything of note outside of a run to the quarters in the bubble playoffs.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I spent the better part of the last two weeks in South Jersey with Flyers-fan in-laws all around me (as bad as it sounds) and there was a consensus on Konecny: the team that pays a significant acquisition cost and gives him a long-term deal at the AAV he'll command is going to regret it in a few years.

Last edited:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
This year's draft plus the Malenstyn trade has been a sharp philosophy change in roster building by Adams. He drafted and traded for areas of need, defensive acumen and how they project to become useful in specific roles, rather than just drafting and acquiring players based on skill and maximizing value regardless of how they would fit on the team.

Ideally there'd be a mix of both strategies but this seems like a necessary change at this time.
That would have been cool like 2 years ago....

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I see the arguement that NJ isnt trading Marino to buffalo because they could be competing for the dame WC spots
Lol. No one is worried about trading with Buffalo because they'll be competing for the same playoff spots.

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I wouldn't mind Eric Robinson back as the 13/14 depending on how this week plays out.

I liked him fine. Big and fast, fits well backing up Beck even though he isn't as complete a player. And Beck has had some injuries playing with abandon esp blocking shots.

Robinson under Lindy could find another level if he's allowed to get stuck in on checks and muck things up.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wouldn't mind Eric Robinson back as the 13/14 depending on how this week plays out.

I liked him fine. Big and fast, fits well backing up Beck even though he isn't as complete a player. And Beck has had some injuries playing with abandon esp blocking shots.

Robinson under Lindy could find another level if he's allowed to get stuck in on checks and muck things up.

I was fine with the idea of having him back even before they changed coaches. They don't have enough of that sort of player, even if he winds up losing out and again on waivers, there is no reason to just walk away there. Though it looks like that's what they have done.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
giphy.gif

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
My pessimistic but, IMO, realistic view of what they're gonna do and how things are gonna go:

-Run it back with the defense and assume Lindy will unlock Byram and Power's better games and also somehow ensure Sammy will be available for more than 50 games in the season. Maybe they flip Joker in a player for player trade or move him for a pick, then trade the pick for another defenseman. I expect some progress from Bo and OP, but also assume Samuelsson will miss a shitload of time, and they'll pay for not solidifying the top 4 more.

-Massively overpay a middle of the road or aging 3rd liner to take Skinner's place as a top 6 winger and assume they don't need to do anything else. KA figures Peterka can handle line 1 duties full-time and again has zero backup plans for potential poor play or injuries to anyone in the top 6. I guess at least they'd have several kids to trot out if they need to replace forwards in the lineup.

-In a similar vein, they promote Krebs to 3C apropos of nothing other than "he's a rising young player who wants to be here." Lindy realizes this is a mistake within the first 2 weeks of the season and they sign whoever's available at that point to try and salvage the spot in their lineup. It won't work.

-Add in random, non-needle moving 4th line/AHL depth signings.

-UPL regresses slightly from the Vezina level play he offered in the back half of the year, but is generally a solid/above average goalie. Levi progresses but has some struggles as a backup.

-Pegula fires Adams at the end of the year after another wasted season. The incoming GM (assuming Forton b/c how are they gonna attract any outsider with even a smidge of credibility) still doesn't really have any idea of what he has in Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund, and Savoie at the NHL level.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but between an owner who is both absentee and a meddler, and an inexperienced GM who's in miles over his head, this team feels hopeless.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
THIS has to stop ZACK BENSON is MAYBE a third liner right now. He disappeared for a third of the season on the third line too. If he is 1W were done. He needs to perform to even move to the top 6. Idk why anyone would even suggest that it's likely Peterka's to lose.

My pessimistic but, IMO, realistic view of what they're gonna do and how things are gonna go:

-Run it back with the defense and assume Lindy will unlock Byram and Power's better games and also somehow ensure Sammy will be available for more than 50 games in the season. Maybe they flip Joker in a player for player trade or move him for a pick, then trade the pick for another defenseman. I expect some progress from Bo and OP, but also assume Samuelsson will miss a shitload of time, and they'll pay for not solidifying the top 4 more.

-Massively overpay a middle of the road or aging 3rd liner to take Skinner's place as a top 6 winger and assume they don't need to do anything else. KA figures Peterka can handle line 1 duties full-time and again has zero backup plans for potential poor play or injuries to anyone in the top 6. I guess at least they'd have several kids to trot out if they need to replace forwards in the lineup.

-In a similar vein, they promote Krebs to 3C apropos of nothing other than "he's a rising young player who wants to be here." Lindy realizes this is a mistake within the first 2 weeks of the season and they sign whoever's available at that point to try and salvage the spot in their lineup. It won't work.

-UPL regresses slightly from the Vezina level play he offered in the back half of the year, but is generally a solid/above average goalie. Levi progresses but has some struggles as a backup.

-Pegula fires Adams at the end of the year after another wasted season. The incoming GM (assuming Forton b/c how are they gonna attract any outsider with even a smidge of credibility) still doesn't really have any idea of what he has in Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund, and Savoie at the NHL level.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but between an owner who is both absentee and a meddler, and an inexperienced GM who's in miles over his head, this team feels hopeless.
Yes
Yes
Overpaying for 3C means Krebs is not 3c.
YEs
Yes
Maybe
Agreed.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
*Checks calendar: yep, FA not open yet*

Can we at least wait until tomorrow for this?
I never said free agents. You know that you can trade players before free agency right? Like other teams are doing BUT for that to happen players with NMC/NTC have to waive.

Peters said teams don't want to deal with us. Its weird how you didn't get that.

When players are free agents they don't have teams thats what a free agent is.

sabresnyper

Jun 23, 2009
Syracuse, NY

This sounds so Sabre-ry...and 100% possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00