The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I’m sure he’s making shit up but it has crossed my mind several times when he says he is in on everything and talks to everyone that his extreme lack of moves matters. It makes me think of Tim Murray saying that there are some GMs who you know it’s just a waste of time. You have better things to do than go over your rosters with a GM who doesn’t do anything. GMs have five years of talking to Kevyn Adams. Almost all of which was a complete waste of time
Not saying it is true and we might never fully find out, but this does sound plausible.

alehman42

Sponsor
Apr 13, 2015
Besides Colorado and Caps GM? I think this is complete nonsense from Peters.
Seriously, this.

1) Andrew Peters is a goddamn moron.

2) Kevyn Adams has made 4 separate trades with 4 separate teams in the last 72 hours.

3) No, really, Andrew Peters is a goddamn moron.

If you want to listen to sports talk radio, fine, we all have our preferences. But please understand it's shock-jock content with the primary objective of generating an emotional reaction to maintain engagement. Passing on talk radio content as reliable just lowers the informative value of this board (sharing and commenting on their *opinions* can be interesting...but the majority of posters on here have opinions I value more than Peters')

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I wonder if it was Briere.

They probably have each other’s numbers. There were Sabres-Flyers rumors. Nothing happened. And maybe they talked about it a little…

:dunno:
I think it's nonsense, Adams doesn't seem like the kind of jerk that GMs don't want to do business with.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
The sample is not that big, but it is not what I expected to see.

F9sdjqdaoAAOubr.jpg

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
He hasn’t gotten a lot of meaningful work done in a while. There are likely a few reasons for it.
Do you seriously believe this? Or maybe because he is counting on internal growth and development, and also because he likes his prospects. There are always some rumors about potential trades.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I wonder if it was Briere.

They probably have each other’s numbers. There were Sabres-Flyers rumors. Nothing happened. And maybe they talked about it a little…

:dunno:

Childishness expressed through a snarky call to a former teammate after a team doesn't pony up his over-reaching ask for a depth center? Could be. It's not like childish behavior and the name Briere haven't been used together to describe some recent events...

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
If I'm a gm, the last thing I'm doing is creating a no trade list of my own to further limit my options. To think one GM did that, let alone several or all of them is pretty hard to believe.

It sounds much more like the kind of fuel for the rage machine that people make up when they don't like the results and dont have all the details of the situation. I call it "Rogan's Law." When in doubt, the most scandalous explanation is most likely the correct one.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
If I'm a gm, the last thing I'm doing is creating a no trade list of my own to further limit my options. To think one GM did that, let alone several or all of them is pretty hard to believe.

It sounds much more like the kind of fuel for the rage machine that people make up when they don't like the results and dont have all the details of the situation. I call it "Rogan's Law." When in doubt, the most scandalous explanation is most likely the correct one.
GM’s take Adams calls. That much is obvious. But, I read it as Adams is that person in your fantasy league that talks about deals, says he’s giving you a great offer, it isn’t that great, and then he whines about deals not happening to everyone in the group chat.

They will work with him, it’s just he has a rep as a guy that a lot of people don’t like to work with because it’s a hassle.

We felt like Regier had that rep, right? I think it could be that all over again.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I have a feeling there may be a kernel of truth somewhere in there but not for the reason we think. I heard Stan Bowman speak once about making big moves at a conference. He said that often big moves require decisiveness. You often have to make a few sequentially to accomplish what you need to to. He noted that you often have to identify those teams where the GM has authority to act quickly or the other parts of the plan fall apart and you are left with half a loaf. I don’t get the impression Adams has carte blanche authority and as a result, things take too long to be vetted through committee. A lot of teams may find that frustrating. A simple x for y like the SJ deal or the Caps trade, sure. Something more involved, I think KA needs tomrun those up the flagpole, and if conditions change in the negotiations, they need to run those up the flagpole as well. Just an observation.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
All it takes is a reputation of being a waste of time for some or the other reason and business won't flow as smoothly as it otherwise could. I've witnessed it countless times in my industry and I'd imagine professional hockey isn't much different in that regard. Not saying it is the case, but with Pegula having Kevün on a short leash and all, it's not unthinkable at all.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I think a better explanation is a lack of personal relationships that you'd gain from working up the ladder. If you started out as a scout and worked up to GM, you'd know someone in the vast majority of front offices from having coworkers move to other offices. You'd have a strong professional network. Adams doesn't have that.

I also think there is a bit of understanding that when you have a rebuilding team, helping teams by retaining salaries or taking on salary dumps is a unsaid quid pro quo so when you are a good team, you have a good relationship with the other GMs. Adams also did not participate with that. Nobody owes him any favors

So, he's essentially been 'isolationist' as a GM. So it's not surprising that he is having problems now that he suddenly wants to be part of a marketplace he's mostly ignored and has no relationships in. When he was selling, teams wanted to buy, so things were easy. Now that he's buying, he's competing against other teams that have established relationships and he is offering up what everyone else is, picks and prospects.

He's being given the outsider price and he wants the insider price without doing the things to get the insider price. You can hear the frustration when he talks about the trade market. He feels like teams are trying to screw him over. And they are. And even if they are giving him fair value, he doesn't have anyone he trusts that he can call to see if the price he's getting is fair.

Unfortunately, its likely that Adams tenure is going to serve as a cautionary tale. Being a GM is more than just about understanding hockey. Its about knowing how to build a team, knowing how to address needs, and understanding that you need strong personal/business relationships with 31 other organizations so you can address needs when you have them.

Bringing in an outsider with no support system is going to be a rough go, even if he's the most competent hockey mind ever. And I think Adams has shown he's not that.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
They seem to think Krebs is going to take one of those spots, so I'm guessing we get 1 at best
Same thoughts but Kev did say 3 or 4 forwards he wanted to add. A tall order for sure. Krebs just doesn't strike me as a very good 3 or 4C. Maybe he slots in as 4W.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Man, I hope Byram shows his worth, but trying to put together a mock lineup/roster and this would be so much easier with mittelstadt in the mix.

Ryan johnson played pretty well in his limited minutes, but now i feel like he's forced out of the lineup because it's "too much youth", while the gaping hole at C remains.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Man, I hope Byram shows his worth, but trying to put together a mock lineup/roster and this would be so much easier with mittelstadt in the mix.

Ryan johnson played pretty well in his limited minutes, but now i feel like he's forced out of the lineup because it's "too much youth", while the gaping hole at C remains.
KA broke the FW group without any reliable plan to fix it. Go figure that trying to acquire a good C is hard. How the hell does he not have a sure fire plan to replace Mitts? Handing big dollars to two guys that are dice rolls as top-two Cs but trading the most well-rounded one you have...It's just another sign of incompetence.

Now his trades for a top-six winger fall through, buys out Skinner anyway. Who the hell is going to replace that ice time? Nobody in UFA worth a damn that's for sure. He's gonna get a has-been, then rotate them out with Savoie/Kulich half way through the season, suffer with Krebs at 3C...cue the Benny Hill music.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

I agree, it's a weird move, we could have had a great center backbone, and that's very important. Now we don't know where to get a LEGIT 3C/2C and wonder why the hell Krebs is even being considered for it when he hasn't earned it or shown anything. It reminds me of the Botterill days when we traded ROR.

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad