Confirmed with Link: Chychrun to WSH for Nick Jensen and 2026 3rd

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Jensen is done as a player. Should retire. Yakemchuk will be a huge improvement over him as a rookie. Sens will buy out Jensen after the next season. And that is the hard truth. Ottawa got Jensen, because there is no other market for him. Caps were so happy to unload him for much younger and serviceable player.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
People saying Chyckrun sucks, isn’t a fit and so on just need to accept this trade is a big L and nothing else.

Still he managed to score 41 points in 82 games while sucking at hockey and not fitting in.
Quite a performance.

If it wasn’t clear that cannabis was legalized a few years back this is proof once again.
If he's so good why did no other teams seem to want him?

Reactions: LiseL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Jensen was -9. Second worst of Washington dmen. 1 goal 13 assists. Numbers are about as good as hamonic at his worst.
He’s also older than hamonic. Maybe we should try hamonic with chabot! ;)
That's a plus 21 net gain over Chychrun, might just be as big an impact on our goal differential as going from Korpisalo to Ullmark!

Stanley Cup here we come!

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I gotta say, as someone who’s about to turn 43… it’s a pretty horrible feeling seeing everyone here call a 34yo basically washed up and useless just because of his age…
Well, there are a few careers where once you hit 30 your best days are behind you… athlete, mathematician, chess grandmaster, adult film star. As long as you’re not in one of those lines of work you can still look forward optimistically.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They added Roy

they had to get rid of someone on the right
It was a tidy piece of business for Washington yesterday. In general I have really liked their offseason. But it doesn't come without some risk. Chychrun and Dubois are gifted athletes playing hockey. If they gel and play to their potential it looks genius. They also both are very very inconsistent from an effort stand point.

For Chychrun that level of inconsistency and his contract status tanked his value. It appears Ottawa was the only team that didn't identify his short comings when they traded for him. A dorion special!

Personally I would much rather they had got max futures for Chychrun maybe thats a 2nd and a 3rd. And signed Walker, who's a better player substantially than Jensen..

Ottawa overall got slower today. Not overly physical. What's their identity going to be? I have no idea.

Reactions: Cosmix and Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I suspect given the timing we likely had other options but those options didn't return a RHD, and by the time we made the trade it seemed clear we weren't going to land one of the UFA RHD.

It's unfortunate but I think we weren't ready to give the term some of those guys were asking for, 6 years for Tanev and Pesce, 7 for Roy. Those contracts will all age poorly but would be great short term.

Had we landed one of them, maybe we get a better futures return on Chychrun, but we absolutely needed that top 4 RHD so we took the worse deal.

Reactions: Icelevel

Mark Stones Spleen

Trouba's elbow
Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
So how many picks did Dorion piss away with Chychrun and Debrincat, his 2 biggest trades? 2 top 15 first rounders a ton of 2nds and a few late round picks?
The overall costs/returns for 82 games of Alex Debrincat and 94 games of Jakob Chychrun

Cost:

2022 7th overall

2023 12th overall

2022 39th overall

2023 44th overall (Zaitsev dump to acquire Chych)

2024 49th overall

2024 72nd overall

2026 2nd

2026 4th (Zaitsev dump to acquire Chych)

Return:

2024 25th overall (traded in package for Ullmark)

2024 112th overall (Javon Moore)

2026 3rd

Donovan Sebrango

One year of Dominik Kubalik

Nick Jensen

• Wow
Reactions: DrEasy and Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa overall got slower today. Not overly physical. What's their identity going to be? I have no idea.
Did we get slower?

Perron is on par with what Tank was,
Gregor is fast,
Amidio is as good as Kelly,
Kleven replaces Brannstrom so that's a plus on skating
Kastelic gone, presumably Ostapchuk steps in as a better skater

Only downgrade is Chychrun to Jensen

Unless you're assuming Joseph is gone?

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Did we get slower?

Gregor is fast,

Assuming Joseph is traded to free up $$$ for Pinto then that will make us a touch slower.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Did we get slower?

Gregor is fast,

Perron is not as fast as Tarasenko, Amadio not as fast as Kelly. ( both higher iq players) Jensen way slower than Chychrun and sounds like he's on a very steep decline in general. The sens got alot older here. Personally I was hoping they got faster.

Gregor is fast but he's a 10 minute a game 4th liner.

To me they simply cannot trade Joseph. The top 9 is going to be one of the slowest in hockey. The games getting faster. I don't love this frankly. Perron and Amadio are good players but very similar and are not fast. I think it's over kill and if it comes at the expense of Joseph I'll hate it.

I really dislike this trade specifically after seeing what Walker went for. 3.8 x 5. Could Ottawa have got him at 5 × 4.1. He can motor and defend, move the puck. Would have been a good partner with Sanderson. I don't like this direction.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Did we get slower?

Gregor is fast,

Kleven is a better skater than Brannstrom?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Assuming Joseph is traded to free up $$$ for Pinto then that will make us a touch slower.
I suppose that depends on who replaces Joseph in the lineup, but odds are they'll be slower.

Right now, we can give Pinto about 3.4 mil and be cap compliant with a 21 man roster

If we move Joseph and replace him with say Crookshank, that number goes up about 2 mil.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I gotta say, as someone who’s about to turn 43… it’s a pretty horrible feeling seeing everyone here call a 34yo basically washed up and useless just because of his age…
Cest la vie

I'm not sure which move I dislike more; the Chychrun trade or the Perron @ 4M signing.
We got a serviceable player in the chychrun trade.

I think Jensen will be a pleasant surprise.

Perron at 4….i think that’s a buy out next year

would have def taken mangiapane over Perron

Last edited:

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Absolutely, have you watched them?
I have watched Brannstrom but I don't recall Kleven ever leaving the impression he is a fantastic skater. I'll keep an eye on it this season.

The overall costs/returns for 82 games of Alex Debrincat and 94 games of Jakob Chychrun

Cost:

2022 7th overall

2023 12th overall

2022 39th overall

2023 44th overall (Zaitsev dump to acquire Chych)

2024 49th overall

2024 72nd overall

2026 2nd

2026 4th (Zaitsev dump to acquire Chych)

Return:

2024 25th overall (traded in package for Ullmark)

2024 112th overall (Javon Moore)

2026 3rd

Donovan Sebrango

One year of Dominik Kubalik

Nick Jensen
That is horrendous.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I suppose that depends on who replaces Joseph in the lineup, but odds are they'll be slower.

Right now, we can give Pinto about 3.4 mil and be cap compliant with a 21 man roster

If we move Joseph and replace him with say Crookshank, that number goes up about 2 mil.
Yeah you would assume that if Joseph is moved that his replacement will be one of Crookshank, Ostapchuk or (maybe) Jarventie. All of whom are slower than Joseph.

Reactions: Micklebot

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have watched Brannstrom but I don't recall Kleven ever leaving the impression he is a fantastic skater. I'll keep an eye on it this season.

Kleven is an excellent skater, Brannstrom was good on his edge and has good lateral movement, but not speedy, Kleven has a more powerful stride, and like someone else mentioned, those long legs get him places faster.

In terms of better skater, there might be some debate (I think people underrate Brannstrom's overall skating personally), but in terms of faster, Kleven is absolutely faster.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

That is horrendous.
Wait until you see the costs of Murray and Stepan and Zaitsev. Monetary and picks

Dorion is flat out the worst GM to ever do it and if Ottawa was a huge market he would go down as one of the worst GMs in sports history.

Yeah you would assume that if Joseph is moved that his replacement will be one of Crookshank, Ostapchuk or (maybe) Jarventie. All of whom are slower than Joseph.
To be fair like 99% of the nhl is slower than Joseph. Many teams don’t have a player faster than Joseph

Reactions: Senator Stanley

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
I really dislike this trade specifically after seeing what Walker went for. 3.8 x 5. Could Ottawa have got him at 5 × 4.1. He can motor and defend, move the puck. Would have been a good partner with Sanderson. I don't like this direction.

To give Walker the equivalent amount of money as he'll take home in Carolina, we would've had to have paid ~4.6M per season.

There'd also the added premium of getting him to come to Canada and play for a team that's not a perennial Stanley Cup contender. To get a return phone, Staios probably would have had to start at 5x5.

And the thinking is probably that both Sanderson and Chabot are going to be the primary puck carriers on their pairings, and they wanted to partner them with what Marc Methot describes as a "cooler". Someone who doesn't need the puck and can be safe and solid defensively.

Chabot played his best hockey with Demelo. Jensen is basically Demelo. So is Zub.

And to be honest, there are still a lot of questions about this "core". So I don't blame management for going after short term veterans and not locking themselves into even more 4-5+ year deals.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Rob Blake seems to be hot on Dorion's tail. And no one will ever surpass the idiocy of Mike Milbury.
Dorion is worse than milbury

I think staios definitely got a tad fleeced here. This really should have been two separate moves. Chychrun trade and then trade for Jensen. Capitals were getting Roy anyway lol. They had to move Jensen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad