The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Yeah. I'm not dying to get rid of him and think we can still find success with him on the team, but it's going to be much easier to get buy- in if there's not a guy getting a pass.

They could also try the Krueger bench if hes not willing to work though. Problem was partly that under Krueger, it wasn't like we had a strong group of guys that played the right way either.

Also. I'm wondering where this report comes from. Usually there's an angle from a team or agent who benefits from this being out there
Or maybe they just don't want him in the locker room?

Reactions: Jacob582

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Elliott Friedman says a Skinner buyout is a possibility.

The issue with Skinner is his only worth is scoring goals. He was DREADFUL to end the year from what I saw (limited) and stat watching. If you can't get him scoring on a scoring line, then he's a huge liability anywhere else in the line-up. Ive been open to the idea of buying him out, especially if Adams is planning to add a top-6 winger.

Reactions: Fjordy

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
The issue with Skinner is his only worth is scoring goals. He was DREADFUL to end the year from what I saw (limited) and stat watching. If you can't get him scoring on a scoring line, then he's a huge liability anywhere else in the line-up. Ive been open to the idea of buying him out, especially if Adams is planning to add a top-6 winger.

I think it makes sense to keep him one more year - UNLESS they already have a plan to use that cap space on a big forward upgrade.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think it makes sense to keep him one more year - UNLESS they already have a plan to use that cap space on a big forward upgrade.
I think Adams may look at it now being his ass is being held to fire...

But... in what world would a "word out there of a buyout" actually be out there. Doesn't really make sense.
Maybe he's a cancer in the locker room or Lindy doesn't want him there, he's not the right fit for his game. I'm just going options. It's not just because Adams decided to clear some cap space this season.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I’ve said they should do it and haven’t agreed with any argument made against it. He is a devastatingly bad player when not on the top line…a place he can’t keep up with anymore. His skating and effort aren’t going to get better. He’s a one man power play destroyer who no one will stop playing on the power play. You’re paying him 9 million dollars to actively hurt the third line at this point. No 2.5 million dollar cap hit four to six years away is worth burning another year on this. And the other three years you give me cap back to stop playing him? Jesus can I buy him out twice?

Yeah the players like him. Cool. He’s the oldest player in the room doesn’t play with any details, avoids contact to allow easy plays against, blind passes us out of the offensive zone and adds negatives all over the ice. Guess what? Them liking him and looking up to him is a bad thing.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The most shocking thing about a buyout would this would actually mean the ownership buy in is back. At least I'm assuming they wouldn't be spending this to be 7M under the cap against next year.
Not looking forward to seeing Adams go out and pay Manhattan prices for Staten Island real estate in UFA.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The most shocking thing about a buyout would this would actually mean the ownership buy in is back. At least I'm assuming they wouldn't be spending this to be 7M under the cap against next year.
Buying Skinner out solves so many problems and makes his job so much easier. You can literally put Rosen in his spot and not miss a beat. If Rosen struggles? You have Kulich and Savoie.

Those are things you can actually experiment with when you aren't having to bend over backwards trying to find a spot for Skinner.

As the OG truther for Diggs getting trading, I'll put down that Skinner gets bought out. I've played with capfriendly enough that it makes too much sense not to, and he won't be hard to replace.
You can literally replace him with Rosen and not miss a beat imo.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Not looking forward to seeing Adams go out and pay Manhattan prices for Staten Island real estate in UFA.
Someone had a list of preferred UFA targets a few days ago. I think Adams can buyout Skinner, make a trade or two, and sign some solid free agents and ice a much better team. I don't think it'll take as much retooling as most seem to think.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

giphy.gif

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Not surprised. That's a very expensive 4th liner. Rangers are probably praying someone takes that contract off their hands for free.
Eh, maybe I'm missing something but 170 hits, 54% FO wins (on over 600 faceoffs). He'd probably be tops on Sabres forwards with those numbers.

His offense has dropped and the +/- isn't good but its also not a great metric anyway.

So what am I missing? He's 30 and a $3.6M cap hit but his actual salary is low the last two years.

Would he not be an improvement over what we have on our 4th line currently?

Reactions: CaliSabresfan24

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Eh, maybe I'm missing something but 170 hits, 54% FO wins (on over 600 faceoffs). He'd probably be tops on Sabres forwards with those numbers.

His offense has dropped and the +/- isn't good but its also not a great metric anyway.

So what am I missing? He's 30 and a $3.6M cap hit but his actual salary is low the last two years.

He's a fine 4th liner. He just makes about 4x the amount of money a player for that role should cost. It's an awful use of cap space.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Wait until he's bought out and take him for half the price.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Maybe he's a cancer in the locker room or Lindy doesn't want him there, he's not the right fit for his game. I'm just going options. It's not just because Adams decided to clear some cap space this season.

It's not because he is a lockerroom cancer. I can tell u that.

And I agree if you're not going to use him on top line he is going to be a net negative on another line most likely. I think he can still do the top line and would like to see that...but Peterka made that really hard to do.

If it does happen I believe it is to clear cap for this year. Adams knows he has to make playoffs this year.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018

That's what you're missing. Same thing as Scott Laughton. I would pass.

download-5.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad