The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yes, that makes sense. Tanev won't get a long term, and Larsson has one year left before UFA.
Evolving Hockey is projecting DeMelo to get 4x$4.9M AAV.

Yes, please.

Adams has actually screwed himself a bit here by giving out overpriced extensions to both Power and Sameulsson that weren't justified by counting stats. And then there is Sanderson, who is making 8 per with under .5 PPG as well. Byram is arbitration eligible, so these deals are all comps for him.

If things don't work next year, Byram is probably gone. If things do work, Byram will be paid.
Samuelsson, Power, and Sanderson were all extensions signed coming off of ELCs and upside bets.

Byram got a bridge deal coming off of his ELC and has yet to blow up. While he and his agent would want to compare Byram to Power and Sanderson, I just don't see it given the signing age differences between Byram compared to Power & Sanderson.

And of course, if Byram blows up this year, he likely gets a big money extension. I just doubt that happens.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There are alternatives there. I'm just not sure Jokiharju would be a good partner for Power or Byram. But he could probably play with Samuelsson. But then Lindy could try Clifton in the top 4 with Byram. I think our defense is good on paper, but it could be better.
Yes Joker could play with Samuelsson...

Byram - Dahlin
Power - Clifton
Samuelsson - Jokiharju
Bryson/Johnson

That's the best Ruff can do with that group...and that's the problem. Young, inexperienced, not very good defensively, redundant, playing up in role/TOI, with no really good obvious pairs. Injuries will make things worse. Ruff will have to instill a team-wide defensive structure to help that group as much as possible.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Yes Joker could play with Samuelsson...

Byram - Dahlin
Power - Clifton
Samuelsson - Jokiharju
Bryson/Johnson

That's the best Ruff can do with that group...and that's the problem. Young, inexperienced, not very good defensively, redundant, playing up in role/TOI, with no really good obvious pairs. Injuries will make things worse. Ruff will have to instill a team-wide defensive structure to help that group as much as possible.
So it makes a lot of sense to get a veteran in the top 4 RD to play with Byram or Power. Samuelsson and Clifton would make a physical shutdown pairing.

And I don’t think it’s very difficult or impossible for Adams, it all depends on his desire.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
The only option for success is to (finally) use some assets to trade for a RHD already under contract for a reasonably cheap AAV. It’ll take an overpay and that’s fine.
With the Byram trade I think the horse has left the barn on that idea. At least for the near future.

I think this upcoming season rides on getting a quality 3C (using assets that could have gone for a RHD) and building a 4th line (at least 2 new faces). Not as vital, but still desirable would be finding a top 6 winger with some bite.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Not enamored with any of the “realistic” options at C. But you have to do something. Give me Ehlers and Mangiapane at F and a solid depth (6-8) RHD.

Just get good players

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Not enamored with any of the “realistic” options at C. But you have to do something. Give me Ehlers and Mangiapane at F and a solid depth (6-8) RHD.

Just get good players
Why do we need more wingers? First of all, we need 3C. If Thompson or Cozens can't be good or one of them gets injured, we're f***ed, we don't have anyone.

Reactions: MeenOlViks

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Evolving Hockey is projecting DeMelo to get 4x$4.9M AAV.

Yes, please.

Samuelsson, Power, and Sanderson were all extensions signed coming off of ELCs and upside bets.

Byram got a bridge deal coming off of his ELC and has yet to blow up. While he and his agent would want to compare Byram to Power and Sanderson, I just don't see it given the signing age differences between Byram compared to Power & Sanderson.

And of course, if Byram blows up this year, he likely gets a big money extension. I just doubt that happens.
$4.9 is if he signs with a contender, that’s not the Buffalo price.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
So it makes a lot of sense to get a veteran in the top 4 RD to play with Byram or Power. Samuelsson and Clifton would make a physical shutdown pairing.

And I don’t think it’s very difficult or impossible for Adams, it all depends on his desire.
I think acquiring a legit top-4 RHD is fairly difficult, and expensive.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If someone has that why are they trading it?
They want to rebuild and get younger?

I know there probably aren’t a lot available…just like there aren’t many centers available. You have to make them available by offering a lot, or you’re just left with whatever UFAs are leftover that no one else is willing to sign like we did last year.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

giphy.gif

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I've been beating this drum loudly all offseason.

Skinner the literal embodiment of the problems of the team. Low engagement, low effort. There is no denying his offensive prowess. He simply is an extreme example of the one dimensional player. He simply has never worked to improve his game...when your highest paid forward won't backcheck and takes 2/3rd of a season to get demoted from top line/top PP minutes....what is example that is setting for the younger players?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I've been beating this drum loudly all offseason.

Skinner the literal embodiment of the problems of the team. Low engagement, low effort. There is no denying his offensive prowess. He simply is an extreme example of the one dimensional player. He simply has never worked to improve his game...when your highest paid forward won't backcheck and takes 2/3rd of a season to get demoted from top line/top PP minutes....what is example that is setting for the younger players?
Yeah. I'm not dying to get rid of him and think we can still find success with him on the team, but it's going to be much easier to get buy- in if there's not a guy getting a pass.

They could also try the Krueger bench if hes not willing to work though. Problem was partly that under Krueger, it wasn't like we had a strong group of guys that played the right way either.

Also. I'm wondering where this report comes from. Usually there's an angle from a team or agent who benefits from this being out there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad