The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Well Adams himself said they need more depth, and that's the question of who you want to see #7. I'd rather have an experienced guy like Sammy type who can play on PK and the physical game. So I'm not sure where Bryson fits in.
Maybe I'm reading into it too much but I took it as KA wanted to replace Joker as "more depth." He can probably find that 5/6 defensive defenseman for the same price or less than Joker may be asking.

Otherwise yeah I'd agree Bryson and RJ are solid depth pieces but kind of more of the same. We may even see a sprinkling of Novikov this upcoming season and I think he'll do well in a short stint but not really ready.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Maybe I'm reading into it too much but I took it as KA wanted to replace Joker as "more depth." He can probably find that 5/6 defensive defenseman for the same price or less than Joker may be asking.

Otherwise yeah I'd agree Bryson and RJ are solid depth pieces but kind of more of the same. We may even see a sprinkling of Novikov this upcoming season and I think he'll do well in a short stint but not really ready.
Personally, I want this to be the blueline next season:

Top 4: Dahlin, Power, Byram, [Veteran acquired via trade or UFA]
3rd pair: Samuelsson-Clifton
7th: Bryson

First guy up from Rochester: RyJo

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Well Adams himself said they need more depth, and that's the question of who you want to see #7. I'd rather have an experienced guy like Sammy type who can play on PK and the physical game. So I'm not sure where Bryson fits in.

I took Adams saying more depth as shoring up the 8 through 10 spot since nobody is signed past Novikov that has pro experience.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I took Adams saying more depth as shoring up the 8 through 10 spot since nobody is signed past Novikov that has pro experience.
Yep. Thats what I’m thinking as well. They already have 7 NHL dmen. Five are under contract (Dahlin/Power/Sammy/Byram/Clifton) and two RFAs (Joker/Bryson).

Reactions: Jacob582

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Wait, but that's Rochester's business. We technically have Bryson as #7 and Johnson as #8. It's clear that they'll sign someone for Rochester, but that happens all the time. I don't know, we'll see. I think Lindy will make a lot of decisions and ask for certain players if he needs to.

Yes, that's what Adams should do, but I doubt he will.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

You can do that for one season. We have 30.8M sunk into the defense now....with Joker being a RFA. If you are adding a 6-7M dollar D-man and move joker, that is 37-38M. When Bryam is a RFA (next season), choices will have to be made. I think you have the forward prospect depth to cycle out a few guys over the next few years and keep a lot of that D together, but realistically, even at a 100M cap, 40M for your d is a lot.

But, a whole lot will be riding on that D group thriving. Because if it doesn't, there are some pretty drastic decisions coming the next summer.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Wait, but that's Rochester's business. We technically have Bryson as #7 and Johnson as #8. It's clear that they'll sign someone for Rochester, but that happens all the time. I don't know, we'll see. I think Lindy will make a lot of decisions and ask for certain players if he needs to.
True. They are for Rochester, but they need some more vets signed to NHL deals to provide depth in case Buffalo needs it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
You can do that for one season. We have 30.8M sunk into the defense now....with Joker being a RFA. If you are adding a 6-7M dollar D-man and move joker, that is 37-38M. When Bryam is a RFA (next season), choices will have to be made. I think you have the forward prospect depth to cycle out a few guys over the next few years and keep a lot of that D together, but realistically, even at a 100M cap, 40M for your d is a lot.

But, a whole lot will be riding on that D group thriving. Because if it doesn't, there are some pretty drastic decisions coming the next summer.
A) I would not add a $6-7M D.

B) I do not expect Byram to require a massive extension next summer. He has never had the counting stats to justify some massive extension. And coming off of his current bridge deal and being on his second team after being traded away from the team that drafted him has me really not seeing some huge extension being in the offing. He has averaged less than 0.5pts/g in his career.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
What veteran would you like to add for the top 4? Guys like DeMelo and Roy would have to be paid. There don't seem to be many options in the trade that would fit without the player getting 6-7 million.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Adams will not add a 6-7M defenseman this offseason. He probably should but he won’t. It’ll be some cheap vet with a year or two left on his deal, or a leftover that no teams are willing to offer term to, so he accepts Buffalo as a last resort.

That’s what Adams means by “disciplined.” He won’t put himself in a position where “drastic decisions” will ever be needed.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
What veteran would you like to add for the top 4? Guys like DeMelo and Roy would have to be paid. There don't seem to be many options in the trade that would fit without the player getting 6-7 million.

DeMelo at 5.5mil would be my max

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Chris Tanev would be my preferred option in UFA.

And then there are potential trade options out there like say Adam Larsson if Seattle were option to something like Jokiharju+ for Larsson and Dahlin can convince Adams to waive if Buffalo is on his 10 team no trade list.

Reactions: Fjordy

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

B) I do not expect Byram to require a massive extension next summer. He has never had the counting stats to justify some massive extension. And coming off of his current bridge deal and being on his second team after being traded away from the team that drafted him has me really not seeing some huge extension being in the offing. He has averaged less than 0.5pts/g in his career.

Adams has actually screwed himself a bit here by giving out overpriced extensions to both Power and Sameulsson that weren't justified by counting stats. And then there is Sanderson, who is making 8 per with under .5 PPG as well. Byram is arbitration eligible, so these deals are all comps for him.

If things don't work next year, Byram is probably gone. If things do work, Byram will be paid.

And this is the issue. If you want to attract a top 4 RHD, we will have to be top of market. I don't want to spend 7M per for these d-men, but to get someone to come here for 6-7 years after 13 years of no playoffs....it's gonna be pricey.

Adams will not add a 6-7M defenseman this offseason. He probably should but he won’t. It’ll be some cheap vet with a year or two left on his deal, or a leftover that no teams are willing to offer term to, so he accepts Buffalo as a last resort.

That’s what Adams means by “disciplined.” He won’t put himself in a position where “drastic decisions” will ever be needed.
I mean....you are probably correct. Even if we wanted to, I doubt we get any of the top 3 RHD available that would fit our needs (Pesce, Roy, Demelo).

Realistically, I don't think there is a way to 'change' the defense without drastically overspending at this point.

You could run back the defense and demote one of Samuelsson/Byram/Power to the 3rd pair with clifton and have

Samuelsson/Power/Byram-Dahlin
Samuelsson/Power/Byram-Joker
Samuelsson/Power/Byram-Clifton

I just don't think you can run a all left top 4 D because other than Dahlin, no one is great at playing the opposite side.

Reactions: goach

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Chris Tanev would be my preferred option in UFA.

And then there are potential trade options out there like say Adam Larsson if Seattle were option to something like Jokiharju+ for Larsson and Dahlin can convince Adams to waive if Buffalo is on his 10 team no trade list.
Yes, that makes sense. Tanev won't get a long term, and Larsson has one year left before UFA.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Adams has actually screwed himself a bit here by giving out overpriced extensions to both Power and Sameulsson that weren't justified by counting stats. And then there is Sanderson, who is making 8 per with under .5 PPG as well. Byram is arbitration eligible, so these deals are all comps for him.

If things don't work next year, Byram is probably gone. If things do work, Byram will be paid.

And this is the issue. If you want to attract a top 4 RHD, we will have to be top of market. I don't want to spend 7M per for these d-men, but to get someone to come here for 6-7 years after 13 years of no playoffs....it's gonna be pricey.

I mean....you are probably correct. Even if we wanted to, I doubt we get any of the top 3 RHD available that would fit our needs (Pesce, Roy, Demelo).

Realistically, I don't think there is a way to 'change' the defense without drastically overspending at this point.

You could run back the defense and demote one of Samuelsson/Byram/Power to the 3rd pair with clifton and have

I just don't think you can run a all left top 4 D because other than Dahlin, no one is great at playing the opposite side.
Well, Jim Bob suggested options. I would also maybe add Manson, Faulk and Trouba (if they buyout him or retain.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

I just don't think you can run an all left top 4 D because other than Dahlin, no one is great at playing the opposite side.
The only option for success is to (finally) use some assets to trade for a RHD already under contract for a reasonably cheap AAV. It’ll take an overpay and that’s fine.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
KA could justify overpaying for Roy/DeMelo/Pesce prior to the Byram trade. Any of them would fit better than Byram, with only Pesce being a gamble based on health. With Byram, there isn't a roster spot without trading Jokiharju and shifting Samuelsson to 3rd pair, and even then the cap cost is not justifiable to add one of those UFAs. The D-corps is now how KA forsees it, save a Joker trade and replacement with a mediocre filler. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
KA could justify overpaying for Roy/DeMelo/Pesce prior to the Byram trade. Any of them would fit better than Byram, with only Pesce being a gamble based on health. With Byram, there isn't a roster spot without trading Jokiharju and shifting Samuelsson to 3rd pair, and even then the cap cost is not justifiable to add one of those UFAs. The D-corps is now how KA forsees it, save a Joker trade and replacement with a mediocre filler. It just doesn't make sense to me.
There are alternatives there. I'm just not sure Jokiharju would be a good partner for Power or Byram. But he could probably play with Samuelsson. But then Lindy could try Clifton in the top 4 with Byram. I think our defense is good on paper, but it could be better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad