The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I don't even want Petterson or Zegras. We don't have the cap space. I want Nic Paul or Nic Roy or someone like that, who is complimentary and not redundant.

The focus should be on building a team, not collecting the most one-way skill. Haven't we learned that a million times over the past decade?
I don't understand your response. I was using Pettersson and Zegras as examples of the difficulty of acquiring impact centers, which was based on your previous post.

Wanting a 3/4C as opposed to a player like Tkachuk seems silly to me. I'm advocating for a Tkachuk trade precisely because that's a team building move. There's nearly no one on the roster who plays his game.

And, neither move is mutually exclusive. You can do both.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don't understand your response. I was using Pettersson and Zegras as examples of the difficulty of acquiring impact centers, which was based on your previous post.

Wanting a 3/4C as opposed to a player like Tkachuk seems silly to me. I'm advocating for a Tkachuk trade precisely because that's a team building move. There's nearly no one on the roster who plays his game.

When I say "impact C" I meant someone who fills a desperately needed role on the Sabres. A matchup center who shuts down top lines. Highly paid 1Cs are not what I was talking about.

If we bring on Tkachuk with the cap hit and assets that it will cost, it will severely limit our ability to bring on the shut down center that we desperately need. And will once again waste all of that talent on this team because the role players all stink.

Again, that much-needed 3C is the engine of the team and Tkachuk is a luxury. Investing in that engine is the best approach for next season. I think you'll find that once we acquire that engine, along with the other role players, that Tkachuk doesn't fit, cap-wise or asset-wise.

On the other hand, if you're talking about trading JJP AND Quinn, and think one of them can be replaced by Kulich or Savoie (I'm not sure they can), then that's something that might work. But it comes with a ton of risk, after developing those two guys for so long.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
When I say "impact C" I meant someone who fills a desperately needed role on the Sabres. A matchup center who shuts down top lines. Highly paid 1Cs are not what I was talking about.

If we bring on Tkachuk with the cap hit and assets that it will cost, it will severely limit our ability to bring on the shut down center that we desperately need. And will once again waste all of that talent on this team because the role players all stink.

Again, that much-needed 3C is the engine of the team and Tkachuk is a luxury. Investing in that engine is the best approach for next season. I think you'll find that once we acquire that engine, along with the other role players, that Tkachuk doesn't fit, cap-wise or asset-wise.

I think you are overestimating the importance of 3C .. engine? Is Lindell the engine on Florida? Where and who are all these engines on these teams? There are "few" shutdown centers in the NHL .. you need to fill out a 3rd line that isn't a blackhole. Tkachuk isn't a luxury he would be a main catalyst on the team.

Good teams make the cap work to bring in players needed.

Acquiring Brady Tkachuk isn't going to prevent you from adding good bottom 6ers. You can make sacrifices in other areas and you're not obtaining BT by just giving up futures..salary will be going out.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL

I usually agree with pretty much everything you say but this response says the Sabres have no high end talent and we need to go outside the organization.

I don’t believe that.

JJ at 22 almost hit 30
Quinn is elite
Benson has talent
Tage is a twice ppg player

The Sabres have talent, they lack any type of QUALITY role players and grit, and most of the prospects are redundant. A couple days ago I suggested three players that are at least listed as centers….Bennett, Sturm and Thedoak’s idea of Iaffalo. Two of these players can play up and down the lineup, and Sturm to me is our 4th line center.

The last few years have been about drafting and developing…..it’s not time to go “Murray” on the team.

Bennett - I’ll switch firsts with Florida, and add something else to work it out.
Iaffalo - something around Krebs and a pick
Sturm - I can’t believe a 2nd wouldn’t get him.

Overpayments???? Maybe but these 3, along with at least 1 other “Carrier” type would completely change our team without gutting if for Tytchuk.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

On the other hand, if you're talking about trading JJP AND Quinn, and think one of them can be replaced by Kulich or Savoie (I'm not sure they can), then that's something that might work. But it comes with a ton of risk, after developing those two guys for so long.
I agree that the Sabres need that 3C defensive/checking center. But I don't think any of this is mutually exclusive. Unless you're trying to trade for a Michael Peca style 3C (I don't even know if that class of checking center even exists anymore), you can still add a high end player in addition to that 3C.
I usually agree with pretty much everything you say but this response says the Sabres have no high end talent and we need to go outside the organization.

I don’t believe that.

JJ at 22 almost hit 30
Quinn is elite
Benson has talent

The Sabres have talent, they lack any type of QUALITY role players and grit, and most of the prospects are redundant. A couple days ago I suggested three players that are at least listed as centers….Bennett, Sturm and Thedoak’s idea of Iaffalo. Two of these players can play up and down the lineup, and Sturm to me is our 4th line center.

The last few years have been about drafting and developing…..it’s not time to go “Murray” on the team.

Bennett - I’ll switch firsts with Florida, and add something else to work it out.

Overpayments???? Maybe but these 3, along with at least 1 other “Carrier” type would completely change our team without gutting if for Tytchuk.
I don't think that at all. I think Thompson, Dahlin, Power, etc. are all high-end talents.

The Sabres don't have anyone with Tkachuk's game.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

KeepKane

May 6, 2015

I don’t believe that.

JJ at 22 almost hit 30
Quinn is elite
Benson has talent

This is exactly my feelings as well. We don't need to make all kinds of moves and trade away prospects/young NHLers. Keep Kulich/Savoe/Ostlund as they all have some elite traits. Let them fight for possibly 1 spot or for injury call-ups. It doesn't hurt at all to have them all in Rochester to start the season.

2/3 Free agents, (Trenin, Carrier, vet RHD)
1/2 minor trades (Krebs, Joker, prospect/pick--> Bennett/Iafallo/Sturm/Colton

We need some vets that are consistent and can play a two way game up and down the lineup and some special teams. Your Hechts, Griers, Gionta's, and maybe a RHD like Lydman.

I think Quinn is ready to pop big time. He should be in the slot on PP1 and if PP1 rebounds next year which it should. He might be a PPG player. Doesnt matter if he plays with TT or Cozens.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
This is exactly my feelings as well. We don't need to make all kinds of moves and trade away prospects/young NHLers. Keep Kulich/Savoe/Ostlund as they all have some elite traits. Let them fight for possibly 1 spot or for injury call-ups. It doesn't hurt at all to have them all in Rochester to start the season.

2/3 Free agents, (Trenin, Carrier, vet RHD)
1/2 minor trades (Krebs, Joker, prospect/pick--> Bennett/Iafallo/Sturm/Colton

We need some vets that are consistent and can play a two way game up and down the lineup and some special teams. Your Hechts, Griers, Gionta's, and maybe a RHD like Lydman.

I think Quinn is ready to pop big time. He should be in the slot on PP1 and if PP1 rebounds next year which it should. He might be a PPG player. Doesnt matter if he plays with TT or Cozens.
Exactly. We're closer to being great than it might seem, we only need to fill-in the blanks with a Hecht, a Grier, and a Lydman. Couldn't have said it better myself. If we can do that, we have as much promise as any team in the league. And Hechts, Griers, and Lydmans don't require once-in-a-generation-type fantasy trades like other names being tossed around.

We don't need much!!

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
Here's a thought --

San Jose gets 11OA.

Buffalo gets 14OA(Pittsburgh), 85OA (Tampa) and Nico Sturm.

San Jose concentrates talent. Buffalo adds depth and another trade piece.

Depends on the draft board, of course.

EDIT: I would like to see them pick Cole Beaudoin. Chances are he'd still be there around 20, so a trade back for something of value makes sense to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grinner

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Sturm is a fine add that I brought up months ago but now they need more than just a 4C. Either get an impact middle-six C and bump Krebs back down to 4C, or trade him if he's not a fit and get two Cs to re-shape the roster with experience, grit, toughness, defensive responsibility. When Krebs is still a starter on the roster in October we know why they will stay stuck in the mud - because KA thought another poor defensive LHD was worth gutting C depth (or doesn't know what he had in Mitts, or is making decisions based on cap...who knows...).

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I did a capfriendly roster just so we could see what the Sabres would look like with a Tkachuk trade. I went high end on the Sabres own RFAs on purpose. $87.5M cap.

- The Tkachuk trade I've posted is what I used: Kulich, Peterka, Jokiharju, 2024 1st
- UPL 5 x $6M.
- Krebs 1 x $1.2M

LW: Tkachuk, Skinner, Benson
C: Thompson, Cozens, Krebs
RW: Tuch, Quinn, Greenway
LD: Power, Byram, Johnson
RD: Dahlin, Samuelsson, Clifton
G: UPL

That's 16 players with $7.5M left over. Adding in the expected ELCs: Levi, Savoie, Rousek. That leaves ~$5M for 4 players. I saw a trade for Nico Sturm. He's a $2M player, so a trade for him plus 3 league minimum level players gets the Sabres to where they would need to be. The 3 league minimum level players would be the 7th D and 13th and 14th forward, which is fine.

The anchor is Skinner, but the roster would be doable. Here's a possible opening night line-up.

Tkachuk - Thompson - Tuch
Quinn - Cozens - Benson
Greenway - Krebs - Skinner
Rousek - Sturm - Savoie
xxx, xxx

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Samuelsson
Johnson - Clifton
xxx

UPL, Levi

I think that's a good line-up with the addition of Tkachuk and Sturm, plus Ruff's coaching.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Here's a thought --

San Jose gets 11OA.

Buffalo gets 14OA(Pittsburgh), 85OA (Tampa) and Nico Sturm.

San Jose concentrates talent. Buffalo adds depth and another trade piece.

Depends on the draft board, of course.

EDIT: I would like to see them pick Cole Beaudoin. Chances are he'd still be there around 20, so a trade back for something of value makes sense to me.
I'm not sure dropping three spots gets you that much. But I like the idea. I can see Adams going after Sturm if he's good at faceoffs.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I did a capfriendly roster just so we could see what the Sabres would look like with a Tkachuk trade. I went high end on the Sabres own RFAs on purpose. $87.5M cap.

- The Tkachuk trade I've posted is what I used: Kulich, Peterka, Jokiharju, 2024 1st
- UPL 5 x $6M.
- Krebs 1 x $1.2M

That's 16 players with $7.5M left over. Adding in the expected ELCs: Levi, Savoie, Rousek. That leaves ~$5M for 4 players. I saw a trade for Nico Sturm. He's a $2M player, so a trade for him plus 3 league minimum level players gets the Sabres to where they would need to be. The 3 league minimum level players would be the 7th D and 13th and 14th forward, which is fine.

The anchor is Skinner, but the roster would be doable. Here's a possible opening night line-up.

Quinn - Cozens - Benson
Rousek - Sturm - Savoie
xxx, xxx

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Samuelsson
Johnson - Clifton
xxx

UPL, Levi

I think that's a good line-up with the addition of Tkachuk and Sturm, plus Ruff's coaching.
That team doesn't make the playoffs, and also has cap issues the following year when you have to pay Levi and Quinn.

There is no way to add Tkachuk that doesn't both make the team worse overall (your bottom 6 is the worst ever assembled with two small rookies, Krebs, and Skinner), and also get you into cap trouble.

Just to add - Sturm is a bit slow and he's very passive. If they want more identity type guys... I don't see the fit.
Sounds just like an Adams target lol. Plus, he's good at faceoffs, which is the main trait Adams spoke about.

Reactions: TommyDangles

Diaspora

Jul 13, 2020
I'm not sure dropping three spots gets you that much. But I like the idea. I can see Adams going after Sturm if he's good at faceoffs.
Sturm's scoring was negligible this year, so I'm not pegging him as worth more that a fourth. I know that's not his main contribution, but still. That's not enough to move up three places in mid-round one. Tampa's 3rd still leaves it a little light, but eggs/omelettes.

I think we should be looking at rosters of the teams with picks 14-21 to see if we can peel off a bottom six contributor or two.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
That team doesn't make the playoffs, and also has cap issues the following year when you have to pay Levi and Quinn.

There is no way to add Tkachuk that doesn't both make the team worse overall (your bottom 6 is the worst ever assembled with two small rookies, Krebs, and Skinner), and also get you into cap trouble.

Sounds just like an Adams target lol. Plus, he's good at faceoffs, which is the main trait Adams spoke about.
This is all conjecture based on what you want out of a bottom 6. You want a Vegas bottom 6 but that requires a pretty big change. There's no way the Sabres are making that change in one season.

Also, Ruff has had an offensive third line. I don't think he's going to advocate for a huge change. Maybe a 4C or a grinder.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

How piss poor depressing does that sound? You add a guy like Tkachuk to the lineup, end up with cap problems, and still no confidence they actually simply make the playoffs, which is half the league.

Right or Wrong, who knows. But the thought of that makes me think a shakeup is needed on the roster, and not just a 3C being brought in on a slight overpay.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019

- UPL 5 x $6M.
- Krebs 1 x $1.2M

Quinn - Cozens - Benson
Rousek - Sturm - Savoie
xxx, xxx

Power - Dahlin
Byram - Samuelsson
Johnson - Clifton
xxx

UPL, Levi

You must change your name if you're talking about trading JJ.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
How piss poor depressing does that sound? You add a guy like Tkachuk to the lineup, end up with cap problems, and still no confidence they actually simply make the playoffs, which is half the league.

Right or Wrong, who knows. But the thought of that makes me think a shakeup is needed on the roster, and not just a 3C being brought in on a slight overpay.

This is all conjecture based on what you want out of a bottom 6. You want a Vegas bottom 6 but that requires a pretty big change. There's no way the Sabres are making that change in one season.

Also, Ruff has had an offensive third line. I don't think he's going to advocate for a huge change. Maybe a 4C or a grinder.

I think you need a 3C, a 2LW, a 4RW, and mid-pairing RHD. 4 players. Basically the exact same offseason Vancouver had last year.

It's not the major roster surgery you're making it out to be -- in fact, we don't have to lose a single player under contract.

Very possible, and even easier for Buffalo, having more assets and cap space than Vancouver did.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think you need a 3C, a 2LW, a 4RW, and mid-pairing RHD. 4 players. Basically the exact same offseason Vancouver had last year.

It's not the major roster surgery you're making it out to be -- in fact, we don't have to lose a single player under contract.

Very possible, and even easier for Buffalo, having more assets and cap space than Vancouver did.
Top 6 winger: agree. That winger needs to be a net front type of player

3C: somewhat agree. 3/4C type in the event that Krebs develops and fills that role, or Savoie surprises. In the case of the latter, the 3rd line becomes more offensive and the 4th line becomes more defensive.

4th line winger: agree. Someone who can check and player defense, and hopefully has some size to handle tougher playoff assignments.

Mid pairing RHD: not sure why. Are you planning on moving on from Clifton, Samuelsson, or Johnson? Samuelsson and Johnson have both shown they can handle second pair minutes. I think Adams should be looking for a 7th and 8th defenseman. His first call should be to Bryson's agent to see if he'll sign for less that $1.8M.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad