The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Its funny because folks were upset because picks were traded by TM. Now the want to rinse repeat

Missing playoffs can be attributed to other reasons

22/23 the loss of D causing a losing streak
23/24 F injuries and PP drop.

Team wasnt going to do overpayed with term

On here many want to unload them for short term fixes
If Adams is trading 1st round picks away I would home it would be for player(s) with restricted years left before they hit free agency.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I hope the “TRADING FUTURES MAKES YOU TIM MURRAY” crowd pops into every trade made by every team to tell them the tale of the GM who blew through futures without any kind of a roster to start with and how that applies to every situation ever.

However will 31 teams who do it live with themselves. Clearly they are wrong and we, and our continuing historical playoff drought, are right.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I hope the “TRADING FUTURES MAKES YOU TIM MURRAY” crowd pops into every trade made by every team to tell them the tale of the GM who blew through futures without any kind of a roster to start with and how that applies to every situation ever.

However will 31 teams who do it live with themselves. Clearly they are wrong and we, and our continuing historical playoff drought, are right.
Exactly.

Trading futures when you have no roster= BAD.

Trading futures when you have a decent roster and the deepest prospect pool in the entire league= GOOD.

Context matters.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I do believe if they want to make impactful additions to the roster it will need to come through trades.
1) UFA’s are usually expensive and long term end up being bad business decisions

2) this market, the teams recent history and losing will turn off a lot of talented players unless the Sabres overpay

3) I don’t believe Adams (truthfully, Pegula) will pay those prices.

I think one of the big forward prospects (Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund) should be dealt.

Jokhiharju should be dealt to make room for one more defenseman in the top-4.

Krebs could be part of the right deal.

Ideally, I’d like to see probably 3 new forwards and one new defenseman.

Skinner is the big question imo. Do they try to get something else out of him? Buy him out? Try to trade with retention? He’s the guy I believe has the “cloudiest” outlook in terms of what happens with him this off-season.

Also not in favor of adding a veteran goalie to backup UPL, but I get it if they think Levi is ready to back him up next year.

Reactions: Chainshot

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Players I can see Buffalo targeting. Not that I agree with them just who I think Buffalo looks at

Patrick Kane
Steve Stamkos
Joe Pavelski on a 1 year deal but will probably resign
Jack Roslovic
Matt Roy
Nick Cousins

Reactions: Jacob582

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
UFA Forwards (What other options are there besides the above)

Henrique
Bertuzzi
Teravainen
Tarasenko
Marchessault
Lindholm
Wennberg
Arvidsson
DeBrusk
Duchene
Domi
Foegele

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
And some - you - want to do nothing, ever because of someday.

Productivity is not necessarily the same as winning. Look at the contenders. Look at their ages. There are no teams advancing to the 2nd round who are filled with guys under 25. The backbones of those teams are 26-30, professionals who know how to win. They may not be in peak productivity years, they're usually just past that, but they are the one's who carry teams. Buffalo keeps getting close to having that and then people blow it up. They don't add people at that age. They have to look to add more players who know how to win their matchups, how to be professionals and not ride the emotional wave of youth. This isn't junior hockey any more.
Look at teams make up on their roster, Many of them consist of internal developed talent that they drafted or acquired when young. they might have made a couple big moves bring in some players and they brought in some short term vets.

Ive never said not to make trades.

What I do say is dont be f***ing stupid in making trades like giving up their high 1st rounder/top prospects for short term plays with 2-3 yrs left or using them to get a player who is probably worse than the player you give up in 3 yrs.

Many on here want to do Erat for Forsberg trades.

It is not so much bringing in players on how to win than bringing in players to improve your team.

Reactions: rams

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I do believe if they want to make impactful additions to the roster it will need to come through trades.
1) UFA’s are usually expensive and long term end up being bad business decisions

2) this market, the teams recent history and losing will turn off a lot of talented players unless the Sabres overpay

3) I don’t believe Adams (truthfully, Pegula) will pay those prices.

I think one of the big forward prospects (Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Ostlund) should be dealt.

Jokhiharju should be dealt to make room for one more defenseman in the top-4.

Krebs could be part of the right deal.

Ideally, I’d like to see probably 3 new forwards and one new defenseman.

Skinner is the big question imo. Do they try to get something else out of him? Buy him out? Try to trade with retention? He’s the guy I believe has the “cloudiest” outlook in terms of what happens with him this off-season.

Also not in favor of adding a veteran goalie to backup UPL, but I get it if they think Levi is ready to back him up next year.

Ive said before I see Joker and Krebs being traded
I could see one of the Power or Byram being traded (not necessarily this summer)
I can see Peterka as a trade chip

right now i see long term at F come 26/27 season

C--Thompson, Cozens, Ostlund, AAA
RW --Quinn, Tuch, BBB, Savoie
LW -- Greenway, Benson, , CCC, Wahlberg

RD-- Dahlin, DDD, Clifton/Strbak*
LD--Samuelsson, Power/Byram, RyJo*

G- UPL, Levi

If you get more centers (draft, trade) then Tage and Cozens can move to wing.

AAA. BBB, CCC come from who develops and from trades/UFAs

UFAs at this point are more for bridge players or short term flils. I look at Clifton as a bridge player till one of the RD prospects develops and can replace him

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Look at teams make up on their roster, Many of them consist of internal developed talent that they drafted or acquired when young. they might have made a couple big moves bring in some players and they brought in some short term vets.

Ive never said not to make trades.

What I do say is dont be f***ing stupid in making trades like giving up their high 1st rounder/top prospects for short term plays with 2-3 yrs left or using them to get a player who is probably worse than the player you give up in 3 yrs.
You mean like Florida?
Reinhart, Tkachuk, Bennett, Montour, Verheaghe, Rodrigues, Forsling, Cousins, Tarasenko, Bobrovsky

Half their team was either signed as free agents or traded for not drafted by them.

Also St. Louis, Dallas, Toronto, Vegas, Carolina, NY Rangers all have high end talent they either signed or traded for at some point.

heck look at Tavares, Panarin, Eichel, O'Reilly, Tkachuk, Hyman....

All the best teams at some point have traded for high end talent.

Last edited:

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Any of them are available for Tkachuk
As much as I don't like Savoie, for a player like Tkachuk, yes, either Kulich or Savoie is available, although I would trade Kulich first rather than Savoie.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
It'll definitely be interesting to see what they do with Skinner. I think they give him at least one more year and then look at buyout options in 2025. I can't see a scenario where he plays out the final 3 years of that deal. It would be nice if they could trade him, but at this point I think that contract is untradeable. It would have been nice if the deal was more front loaded then the contract would actually have had some value to be traded to a bottom feeder who is just trying to reach the cap floor.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

Tim Murray's biggest failures were his inability to recognize the faults in Risto's game, and foundational disconnect with coaching. He wanted to be a super scout. A scout with absolute roster power. And he was good at scouting. But once Babcock fell through, he panicked with the Bylsma hire, and that was a poor fit. But mostly, it was constructing a roster for Risto to play 25 minutes of getting caved in.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Ive said before I see Joker and Krebs being traded
I could see one of the Power or Byram being traded (not necessarily this summer)
I can see Peterka as a trade chip

right now i see long term at F come 26/27 season

C--Thompson, Cozens, Ostlund, AAA
RW --Quinn, Tuch, BBB, Savoie
LW -- Greenway, Benson, , CCC, Wahlberg

RD-- Dahlin, DDD, Clifton/Strbak*
LD--Samuelsson, Power/Byram, RyJo*

G- UPL, Levi

If you get more centers (draft, trade) then Tage and Cozens can move to wing.

AAA. BBB, CCC come from who develops and from trades/UFAs

UFAs at this point are more for bridge players or short term flils. I look at Clifton as a bridge player till one of the RD prospects develops and can replace him
I'm probably nitpicking here but I don't see Paterka as a trade piece unless some team is demanding him to return a whale.

Strbak I don't see breaking in for another year or two after the 26/27 season. I love the player but you already have long term Sammy and I would see a Novikov or even Komarov before Strbak. All different stylistically but if for nothing else Novikov is ahead in development and perhaps Komarov as well.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Tim Murray's biggest failures were his inability to recognize the faults in Risto's game, and foundational disconnect with coaching. He wanted to be a super scout. A scout with absolute roster power. And he was good at scouting. But once Babcock fell through, he panicked with the Bylsma hire, and that was a poor fit. But mostly, it was constructing a roster for Risto to play 25 minutes of getting caved in.

I’ve always thought his biggest failure was identifying workout warriors who are shitty teammates and building around them. Factor in ignoring their off-ice stuff to let "boys will be boys" stuff to run rampant and it was ruinous.

---------------------------------------------------

Anyone with a pro level account for EH?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I’d still offer Ottawa Peterka, Kulich, Jokiharju, and a 1st for Tkachuk.
I am really torn on Brady.

I can't get past him being the captain of a Senators team that has been more disappointing than the Sabres the last two years despite making even more "win now" type moves adding guys like Chychrun and Giroux.

And giving up a top 6 winger, a top 4 RHD, a top prospect, and a 1st seems like an overpay for a guy that I would wonder about. Plus, I would have almost no expectations that he would re-sign after his contract was up in 27-28.

But, he also ticks a lot of boxes for the type of player this team could use.

That is a trade that I could easily see being viewed as regrettable for both teams in 3-4 years.

Reactions: toomuchsauce

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I know so many people are all in on UPL & Levi as the goalie tandem next year.

But, I would not hate adding Stolarz and having Levi as the organizational 3rd who is waivers exempt until he gets to the 60 NHL GP mark.

Capture.PNG

It is the same as having RyJo as the 8th D that is waivers exempt and they can feel OK about if he has to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad