Speculation: The Remaining UFA's

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I like it when these situations back fire. Oilers should have done that with Nurse too. Far too many players who have padded stats on good teams and try for max deals. Goes to their head and don't realize that it's a team game and most of them are just not on the top tier level.

EDM can thank Kent Hughes for that one. He was his agent at the time.

Not surprising that between them, neither has won a Cup in over 30 years. A mutuality of failure.

No Canadian teams have won a Cup in over 30 years. A nation of failure.

I’m somewhat surprised no team has given Alex Nylander a league min contract offer with his late season showing in Columbus.

Of course, teams could be offering him league min and he’s holding out for more…

Wasn't William a real d!ck in his contract negotiations back in 2018(?)? Might be following his example or listening to dear old dad Michael.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I’m somewhat surprised no team has given Alex Nylander a league min contract offer with his late season showing in Columbus.

Of course, teams could be offering him league min and he’s holding out for more…
I figured he was a great candidate to resign in Columbus. Obviously found some level of chemistry with a couple guys and I imagine you could have got him cheap.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
I wonder what Kylington would be looking for.
He would be a reasonable 3rd pairing guy if he comes in between 900 and 1.2

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I figured he was a great candidate to resign in Columbus. Obviously found some level of chemistry with a couple guys and I imagine you could have got him cheap.

They were missing Laine and Fantilli by the time they called up Nylander to play out the stretch. Not sure he has a spot with those two back, mix in them signing Gavin Brindley plus a new GM.

LW: Gaudreau-Fantilli (center?)-Johnson-Chinakhov
C: Monahan-Jenner-Sillinger-Voronkov-Kuraly
RW: Laine-Marchenko-Danforth-Olivier-Brindley

Maybe they could circle back once they sort out the Laine situation. Perhaps they'd rather have Brindley get AHL time to start?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
They were missing Laine and Fantilli by the time they called up Nylander to play out the stretch. Not sure he has a spot with those two back, mix in them signing Gavin Brindley plus a new GM.

Maybe they could circle back once they sort out the Laine situation. Perhaps they'd rather have Brindley get AHL time to start?
Is Danforth really that much better though? Or anyone of the 4th line for that matter?

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
Guessing he wants ~3x2.5M

Retirement contract if he can't handle it.
Yikes. That would definitely explain why he hasn't signed yet.
I personally can't see he would be worth that much on a three year. I expect he'd need to sign a "show me" contract for a single year this season. He has a lot of good physical skills which is why I'm curious.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I personally can't see he would be worth that much on a three year. I expect he'd need to sign a "show me" contract for a single year this season. He has a lot of good physical skills which is why I'm curious.
They gave him 2.5 as an RFA. He likely thinks it's a discount as a ufa.

If all he wanted was a 1x1 he'd have signed in Calgary

Reactions: StumpyTown

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Rumour is he wouldn’t sign with Flames because he wanted a multi-year deal and they wouldn’t offer one.

He has skills but he missed almost two seasons of hockey so teams are going to be hesitant to offer anything more than a prove-it, one-year contract.

Reactions: StumpyTown

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Remember this guy being the main component for the karlsson trade ? :D:cool::eek3:
Norris and the 1st were the “valuable” pieces in that deal (no one realized how valuable at the time.) Tierney, Balcers, and Demelo were the quantity pieces to replace Karlsson and Perron’s contracts. All 3 had varying degrees of pedigree and “this guy could be something” runway still, but I think you’re being disingenuous calling Tierney the “main component.”

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
What did I miss?
It was reported that the Stars offered Klingberg 8x$7M but that Klingberg wanted closer to 8x8. He ended up firing his long term agent before he eventually signed with Toronto for 1x4.15M.

It is speculated that his agent advised him that other teams would be able beat the $56M Dallas offered but AFAIK no one has gone on record to confirm that one way or another.

EDIT: see corrected timeline below

He signed for 1yr/7mil in ANA before moving on to Toronto the next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah. I don't think it's really surprising that Jackets under a new regime decided to trim some of the clutter around the periphery. Like Nylander. They've got so many better young players and prospects all vying for ideally some sort of "scoring role". Better to invest in those guys and see what you have, than continuing to tinker around with a filler piece like Nylander, even if he had a kind of okayish run in a primo opportunity in garbage time of the season. He has pretty much run out of runway as a viable Top-6 Scoring Winger prospect...and still hasn't really established he's all that useful outside of that sort of cushy role.

If anything, Columbus seems like they might even still have a few too many guys clambering for the same few prime scoring role opportunities. But hopefully some actual coaching will help them sift that out.

With guys like Alex Nylander...context is so important to understanding "decent production". When you really look at that, there's probably not much there. Probably more of a, "somebody's gotta score" effect on a terrible, injured, rudderless team tanking out the remainder of the year.

Reactions: squashmaple

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
""

Turns down $7 mil x 8 years.... now he's basically done.

I’m far from an insider but it seems like the agent is taking a lot of heat for a decision that was ultimately Klingberg’s. Regardless of what advice he got or didn’t get, if you’re a 30 year old player with a $56M deal on the table during the season and decide to hold out til the offseason hoping for another 1M AAV, that’s ultimately on you. Common sense tells you that you’re rolling the dice big time.. that you won’t get injured, that you’re reading the market correctly, etc.

All that said, he’s hardly the first or last multi millionaire to whiff on an opportunity to double up like that. I’m guessing if he has a healthy life perspective he’s probably taken his medicine and moved past it, and the fans are way more fixated on it at this point than he is.

The life of a high level athlete is filled with “what if’s.”

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
A man could be borderline suicidal if he were to dwell on that too much.
More so if you never had the career earning of 40'ish million. Like if that was your one chance to make retirement money or put you financially in the right direction and you blew it. Could be worse I suppose when dwelling or looking back on it.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
It was reported that the Stars offered Klingberg 8x$7M but that Klingberg wanted closer to 8x8. He ended up firing his long term agent before he eventually signed with Toronto for 1x4.15M.

It is speculated that his agent advised him that other teams would be able beat the $56M Dallas offered but AFAIK no one has gone on record to confirm that one way or another.
He signed for 1yr/7mil in ANA before moving on to Toronto the next season.

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
Looks like you can add Kuznetsov to the list. Reportedly considering staying in the NHL, and has interest from 15 teams per his agent:

His agent, Shumi Babayev, shared with Olsya Usova of Russia’s RB Sport that Kuznetsov hasn’t ruled out a new NHL contract. Babayev shared that 15 NHL clubs were still showing interest, adding, “[Kuznetsov] just wants to play hockey and be trusted. He still has the ability to play for many years to come. Kuznetsov is in good physical shape… If there was interest in those teams that count on him and let him show his best qualities, he would also consider them.”

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Looks like you can add Kuznetsov to the list. Reportedly considering staying in the NHL, and has interest from 15 teams per his agent:

His agent, Shumi Babayev, shared with Olsya Usova of Russia’s RB Sport that Kuznetsov hasn’t ruled out a new NHL contract. Babayev shared that 15 NHL clubs were still showing interest, adding, “[Kuznetsov] just wants to play hockey and be trusted. He still has the ability to play for many years to come. Kuznetsov is in good physical shape… If there was interest in those teams that count on him and let him show his best qualities, he would also consider them.”

isnt there any rules about terminating a contract (so washington and caronlina doesnt have to pay for a buyout) and then still sign in the NHL?
Most of the time when a contract is terminated the player sign in europe instead.

Nogatco Rd

Apr 3, 2021
isnt there any rules about terminating a contract (so washington and caronlina doesnt have to pay for a buyout) and then still sign in the NHL?
Most of the time when a contract is terminated the player sign in europe instead.
No rule against it. If a player wants to forgo their remaining salary in order to become a free agent that’s their prerogative as long as the team is cool with it.

Around this time last year Detroit and Filip Zadina mutually terminated his contract and he signed with San Jose the next week.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

No rule against it, Zach Bogosian was in the last year of his deal in 2020 and he agreed to terminate in order to sign with a contender. He was making 6 mil (5.14 mil cap hit), so he would have been a difficult guy to fit even with double retention. Getting a team to retain might have negated his original value anyways. So in the end, Buffalo was content to get some salary relief and Bogosian signed a prorated 1.3 million dollar deal to join Tampa for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad