The Reckoning is upon us

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Melnyk and Dorion are gone. We are finally free.

We leave a dark age behind but we are now faced with the fact that the gongshow will take a while to course correct.

Melnyk ran a skeleton crew but gearing back up is not something that can be done quickly. We have to hire and get everyone on the same page.

Dorion assembled a good core but this team is way, way too soft to actually be hard to play against. Dorion being gone doesn't change that.

DJ, as much as I have grown to like him (I was very disappointed when we hired him) is out of ideas. A new coach will take a while to get the core performing at full capacity.

I definitely thought "ok, we can finally start making progress now that Raging Alcoholic Conman is dead" but with how rocky the start has been, the off-ice drama and our inability to overcome key and significant injuries we have to be aware that while the Agents of Evil have left us, the chaos and damage they did remains.

I'm as pissed as anyone is that we are seemingly heading for another disaster season but we have a new owner and he's made good moves so far. We just all want for things to get better faster but, usually, lasting change is slow.

The Reckoning is upon us.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Karma isn't real. Tampa and Vegas proved if you cheat the right way and cover all the angles you can basically just get away with it.

I think it will be ok but they need to keep moving forward.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Karma isn't real. Tampa and Vegas proved if you cheat the right way and cover all the angles you can basically just get away with it.

That's why we need to hire the assistant GM that helped Tampa cheat. Senators vs The World.

Reactions: LiseL and Senscore

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
The injuries suck but what is more concerning is how this team responds to injuries from the top guys. That's the real issue.

They don't raise their games, they double down on their bad habits. They don't play tighter and with more poise, they play more junior style game.

Alfredsson, Stone, Karlsson, Spezza even f***ing Heatley I remember them raising their game when injuries hit.

This team lost Zub and fell apart.

Reactions: Alex1234 and LiseL

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I'm not saying there is no hope.

I'm saying that we all probably got carried away thinking we turned a corner.

The core is great, we should be better and I don't think we are that far from leveling up.

It just struck me that while the bad actors are gone, their mess lingers and we kind of forgot about the mess.

Moving forward is key and is within reach. There is just more work to do before we clear the corner.

I wasn't trying to say "we suck end of story"

Reactions: Loach

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I don't think we know what this team's potential is yet. Are we a top team when healthy, or are we just a middling team even without the injuries?

A new coach could help, and we've potentially reached a point when it would be good to give that a try,

But even then, I still find it hard to gauge just how good we could be. I wonder if the rather strong off-season optimism might be a bit too strong and kind of sets us up for unrealistic expectations? It's hard to tell when there's so many moving parts and things happening.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I don't think we know what this team's potential is yet. Are we a top team when healthy, or are we just a middling team even without the injuries?

A new coach could help, and we've potentially reached a point when it would be good to give that a try,

But even then, I still find it hard to gauge just how good we could be. I wonder if the rather strong off-season optimism might be a bit too strong and kind of sets us up for unrealistic expectations? It's hard to tell when there's so many moving parts and things happening.
With DJ we are a bubble team when perfectly healthy and a horrid team at the first inconvenience

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yep. This isn't turning on a light switch. This is turning around a massive cruise ship before it hits the iceberg. It's going to take time and smart maneuvering to do it right.

Kind of like that tsunami scene in San Andreas. Lots of obstacles ahead.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
That's why we need to hire the assistant GM that helped Tampa cheat. Senators vs The World.
On the topic of changing coaches, quite frequently a team gets a boost from a new coach initially, but that improvement is not always long lasting. Even finding out how much of a positive impact or how good the coaching is often takes a considerable amount of time.

That's not to say that a coaching change is not worthwhile. But, there's many factors involved in achieving good results and success. Coaching is one part of it, but there's other factors (quality of players, etc.) as well. I think as fans we still have a lot to learn about this organization and group of players that we have. It's hard to gauge now.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yep. This isn't turning on a light switch. This is turning around a massive cruise ship before it hits the iceberg. It's going to take time and smart maneuvering to do it right.

Kind of like that tsunami scene in San Andreas. Lots of obstacles ahead.

I don't remember that scene in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas? They made DLC for it?

On the topic of changing coaches, quite frequently a team gets a boost from a new coach initially, but that improvement is not always long lasting. Even finding out how much of a positive impact or how good the coaching is often takes a considerable amount of time.

That's not to say that a coaching change is not worthwhile. But, there's many factors involved in achieving good results and success. Coaching is one part of it, but there's other factors (quality of players, etc.) as well. I think as fans we still have a lot to learn about this organization and group of players that we have. It's hard to gauge now.
I'd say that it has become undeniable that this coaching staff is not good enough.

I assume the decision to move on has been made but we are still rebuilding the front office. Hard to feel confident about making a long term decision on hiring a coach now...

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1699200103062.png

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I don't remember that scene in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas? They made DLC for it?

I'd say that it has become undeniable that this coaching staff is not good enough.

I assume the decision to move on has been made but we are still rebuilding the front office. Hard to feel confident about making a long term decision on hiring a coach now...
Ya, I agree. They have to try something different, and coaching is a logical choice. Having said that, I'm just a little more cautious than some perhaps & wonder how big the change will be, or how long the boost will last. I think the process of getting a new coach in here has already started despite what Staois might say for public consumption.

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
It's going to take some time to undo all of the harm caused by Melynk and by extension Dorion. A new GM is going to have to remake the roster, find a new coach, get the players playing a different style, build up their pro/amateur scouting from nothing, figure out how to manage the salary cap. And on and on. They at least have some good players under contract that aren't dead weight.

They also have to get moving. Eventually if they keep losing someone is going to want out (Brady, Chychrun, Chabot, Stutzle etc.).

Reactions: LiseL and Oduyanow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad