News Article: The Rebuild - Thoughts from Terry Murray

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I liked everything he said, until he talked about the importance of local players. He lost me there.

This org needs to rid itself completely of the Murray/Dorion regime. Bringing in Terry Murray would not do that.

I dunno about that. I'd say it's not the massive priority that the org used to make it into. However, local players are community rooted and have a higher chance of staying long term. Sort of like how Winnipeg was drooling over trading for Mark Stone.
But I will agree with you that on the list of reasons why to bring in certain players or draft certain players, being local is a factor to consider, but should not be placed above certain other factors like skill, character, work ethic, etc.

IMHO the biggest issue moving forward (setting aside ownership) is the coach. The team really needs to hire a terrific coach. Spending $3-5M on a top level coach will (in my mind) help justify the rebuild and also justify spending to the floor. It would demonstrate that the organization is serious about development.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
So many great and logical ideas in here that are impossible to disagree with, fact of the matter is we have seen zero actions or results when there has been plenty of time for both. The strangest part is that in theory hiring a full complete robust front office hockey staff, business staff including an experienced marketing team should be once of the "cheaper" things in pro sports and the results have been proven over and over again to a degree, if of course the correct hires are made which is obviously the biggest wild card.

Ya. I just don't think Eugene understands good business, and doesn't have the humility to enlist advisors that would steer him in the right direction. It's mind boggling that someone who's accumulated such wealth via business can be so ignorant and stupid when it comes to business.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Terry just did another segment on The Drive with Ian and Simmer. Similar subject matter, but man Terry sounds like a guy who'd love to step into this organization and start setting things straight. Sounded fairly disappointed that they've basically burned down everything Bryan work so hard to build.

Would be hard not to feel that way about your late brother who is such a terrific human. He would be a gigantic upgrade over what we currently have (obviously). However from what I have heard and personally seen I dont think Dorion or Melnyk want anything to do with the Murray family at this point.

If there was new ownership he would be a pretty great candidate as president.

Last edited:

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Would be hard not to feel that way about your late brother who is such a terrific human. He would be a gigantic upgrade over what we currently have (obviously). However from what I have heard and personally seen I dont think Dorion or Melnyk want anything to do with the Murray family at this point.

If there was new ownership he would be a pretty great candidate as president.

I'm not even sure if he's suited for a role that big, but just having guys like him around the front office in some capacity would be huge. Industry experience like that is invaluable.

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm not even sure if he's suited for a role that big, but just having guys like him around the front office in some capacity would be huge. Industry experience like that is invaluable.

He is well spoken, has great connections in the league and brings a calm, experienced presence. The market also trusts him, seems like a good candidate to me. Also have to think about how many people want to be here with whats going on. Like I said I know that Melnyk and Dorion dont want Murrays involved so its a giant hypothetical of new ownership.

Reactions: billpo

The Professional

Dec 4, 2005
Aylmer, Québec
I liked everything he said, until he talked about the importance of local players. He lost me there.

This org needs to rid itself completely of the Murray/Dorion regime. Bringing in Terry Murray would not do that.

Don't drag Bryan's name into this steaming pile of shit. He had nothing to do with the dismantling of this team.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Don't drag Bryan's name into this steaming pile of ****. He had nothing to do with the dismantling of this team.

If anyone is actually paying attention he clearly kept it together longer than Dorion would have been capable of.

You wonder if Bryan was capable of staying around longer if all the terrible trades that started this terrible tear down would have happened.

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
"Disappointing as a coach to see what's gone on."

"Probably need to bring in a whole new staff of people, going to need a big group of development staff, at least 5-6 people in place to make sure they get their stregth up to NHL level"

"Ownership is going to have to make a total commitment...fans will be mad, media will be hard on you, etc. ownership has to be onboard with the process"

"Fans need to know what is going on. Had lots of STH open sessions through the process in LA. Right now sens have to get back out their and sell their logo."

"You need a great management staff, a lot of intelligence sitting around talking through the decisions so that you don't make decisions that set you back years" cough. cough Duchene. cough cough.

-----------------------------------------

Slightly paraphrased but I think I got most of it correct.
so...basically...we're F***ked

Reactions: NorthCoast and bert

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
We as fans understand that we have to be patient for the roster to become a strong roster. We're not stupid.

We also understand that if you're serious about becoming a contender, you have to get the best management and development staff. That doesn't have to wait several years. That can start right away.

Like we've seen, our organization is bare bones. Our management team is essentially melnyk melnyk melnyk dorion dorion dorion. You look at other teams and they have 7 guys doing those jobs.

If they're serious, we should see a bunch of reputable professionals being hired for those positions.

Like I said, we're not stupid.

Having the status quo and saying "just wait for these young guys to get better" is not enough. Not even close.
well said...when I see more than 1 person sitting beside Dorion in his Box...I'll beleive it.
I am really worried that he will not hire the development staff these kids require...along with the coaches....I really hope I'm wrong

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
well said...when I see more than 1 person sitting beside Dorion in his Box...I'll beleive it.
I am really worried that he will not hire the development staff these kids require...along with the coaches....I really hope I'm wrong

That is my biggest worry as well. It needs to happen now. Not in two years. Spend on front office and other core people now!

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
I'll just say, for now, it sounds like some good thoughts. I think the reason we haven't done some of the things he's talking about is that the roster was still in the process of being torn down.

Really? "Because the roster was still in the process of being torn down"? Does it actually make sense to you that a team would trade players of the calibre they have without TM's "5 or 6" good hockey minds ALREADY in place??!! This isn't the start of a rebuild, it's the end of a fire sale. Big difference

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Really? "Because the roster was still in the process of being torn down"? Does it actually make sense to you that a team would trade players of the calibre they have without TM's "5 or 6" good hockey minds ALREADY in place??!! This isn't the start of a rebuild, it's the end of a fire sale. Big difference
Even when Terry Murray says they're rebuilding.

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
Even when Terry Murray says they're rebuilding.

So I want to rebuild my home. Before I embark on that though the first thing I do is burn all my possessions. When those close to me question what I'm doing, I threaten to move. When I am ready to actually build, I sure my mortgage provider, and when they don't flinch, well then I burn down my house.

Does Terry Murray know more than me? About hockey ops, sure. About the situation with the Sens? Not likely - he's reading the news like the rest of us. Is he far more polite than I when voicing his opinion? Absolutely.

Reactions: RaMai and Rand0m

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
So I want to rebuild my home. Before I embark on that though the first thing I do is burn all my possessions. When those close to me question what I'm doing, I threaten to move. When I am ready to actually build, I sure my mortgage provider, and when they don't flinch, well then I burn down my house.

Does Terry Murray know more than me? About hockey ops, sure. About the situation with the Sens? Not likely - he's reading the news like the rest of us. Is he far more polite than I when voicing his opinion? Absolutely.
We didn't burn all of our possessions.

You don't want the home rebuilt you want it to burn just like your possessions so that Melnyk is gone.

You have a narrative going with a group and it keeps going even when a guy that's been around the NHL since 1970 and the brother of our former GM telling you thoughts on his rebuild with the KINGS but no the pickle/cucumber is the expert to listen to.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Management isn't going to tell you every single thing they have planned at this very minute, this is where the patient word comes in that management has said.

Reactions: aragorn

billpo

Jun 28, 2006
I think trust and patience kind of go hand in hand.

The former is missing.
exactly...you can't be patient with someone you can't trust...this is why Dorion must also be fired...Hire a good GM(not sure any decent one would come to Ottawa with Melnyk here), and hire a good coach and staff to develop these kids...like I said before, I can't see that happening(and this is where the trust part comes in).

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

You don't want the home rebuilt you want it to burn just like your possessions so that Melnyk is gone.

You have a narrative going with a group and it keeps going even when a guy that's been around the NHL since 1970 and the brother of our former GM telling you thoughts on his rebuild with the KINGS but no the pickle/cucumber is the expert to listen to.
Its funny how you focus on the rebuilding aspect of his quote yet ignore the rest of what he is saying regarding the state of the franchise (that its a mess) which echos what everyone in here is saying. Talk about cherry picking to fit your argument. We see right through you man.

Reactions: Deku

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

You know your argument is not a good one when you resort to an attack on a poster's avatar.

Reactions: Deku

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
Management isn't going to tell you every single thing they have planned at this very minute, this is where the patient word comes in that management has said.
They don't tell us because they make it up on the fly...
Already forgotten, trade for Duchene...by the way we rebuild.
We need the downtown arena...CTC is still awesome.
We evaluate the staff after the season...Guy, you are fired.

I kept it short, you don't read it anyway. You pick something and fling another EM or PD are the greatest spins.

Reactions: umma gumma

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Its funny how you focus on the rebuilding aspect of his quote yet ignore the rest of what he is saying regarding the state of the franchise (that its a mess) which echos what everyone in here is saying. Talk about cherry picking to fit your argument. We see right through you man.
It's messy but were not going through anything that other teams haven't.Feels like I said this many times already.

Any news you get against your boycott is disappointing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad