The Rebuild: Inside the Montreal Canadiens docuseries discussion (Episode 1 and 2 now available on Crave)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Resting on our great history was basically how Bergevin could skate through 10 years of doing nothing.

There's ways to recognize our history and still push things forward. We don't need to do a torch ceremony for a 20th year in a row. Seriously, we started doing it when Andrei Kostitsyn was a rookie.

Andrei Kostitsyn.
The goal no matter what should always be commitment to excellence. This organization has not been committed to excellence since the 90's.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I don't feel compelled to go to games unless it's free but that's besides the point. I also don't get the sense that this guy had to much too worry about money wise.

Reminds me of the guy who bitches about the opening act of a concert regardless of how the actual band he paid to see does.

They use the Habs tradition / story / etc to sell tickets and market the team. If you do that and your opening ceremony looks lame compared to the Rocket, you’ll get called out.

Myself I don’t expect much but it was noticeably bad last year

Reactions: schwang26

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I find that this stems from Molson’s belief that fans are too stupid or narrow sighted to accept a rebuild in Montreal - which is an insult to most of our intelligence
We only have to ask ourselves who was influencing him at that time...
The GM who probably had the least amount of respect for this fan base in history.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Resting on our great history was basically how Bergevin could skate through 10 years of doing nothing.

There's ways to recognize our history and still push things forward. We don't need to do a torch ceremony for a 20th year in a row. Seriously, we started doing it when Andrei Kostitsyn was a rookie.

Andrei Kostitsyn.
I get it.

But the days of Andrei Kostistyn are over.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It lost its luster when they let that rat Danny Briere touch it
:laugh:

Gotta say, you don't know how special it is to watch this until you watch it in a room full of Leaf fans. They sat there and just marveled at the tradition. It may seem hokey to some but there is a realy history there.

Seeing Price with the torch was awesome. Sorry that it didn't come to fruition but from his hands it's passed to the new generation. And the new generation doesn't include Ribeiro, Briere or Kostitsyn.

It was a f***ing cool ceremony and it really brought the tradition and history with it. I think it'd be cool to do this with the kids. Let them see the history.

Or... we could just turn on and off the lights and do Thunderstruck. I'm good either way.

Reactions: dinodebino

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I mean we bitched about that very ceremony here at the GDT and collectively found it to be meh and boring, this guy got to express it directly to Molson and didn't shy away, if anything I found it ballsy

My guess is he's a corporate funder of the team. I don't find it ballsy as geoff would look to such a person for obvious reasons.

It's funny he got so triggered about it though.

I didn't even care to watch the "opening ceremony".

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Well that was alright. I hope the future episodes have more of a focus on the players and less on Molson. I'm not thrilled they're releasing it a few episodes at a time.

I guess I should get back to work instead of watching Habs documentaries at 10:00 am :D

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
:laugh:

Gotta say, you don't know how special it is to watch this until you watch it in a room full of Leaf fans. They sat there and just marveled at the tradition. It may seem hokey to some but there is a realy history there.

Crave could do a whole hour on leafs fans coming to terms with their inadequacy. I'd subscribe for that.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I get it.

But the days of Andrei Kostistyn are over.

Yeah that's the point,, the days of Andrei Kostitsyn are over but we are still using a tired ceremony involving a torch from when he was a rookie.

The novelty is gone... they need to come up with something new and innovative, they can still have call backs to historical moments and things, it just doesn't need to be a torch.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Disgusting they actually have the balls to air this stuff on TV. Disgusting and sadly we as fans accept it and do nothing.
Do nothing?

I haven't paid for Habs tickets at the Bell Centre for many years now. I used to go to Habs games a few times year for a while. Thing is, there's always someone else willing to pay high price for tickets. It's like this elsewhere in the league and in other sports.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
A colleague of mine is Finnish, living in Finland, and he loves hockey, and he marvels on the fact that I'm a habs fan. He doesn't really follows the NHL but he's perfectly aware of the team general history. He has all kinds of questions.

It makes very interesting conversations, to be honest. He asked me if I remembered Saku Koivu (lol) who is obviously a national hero in Finland. He congratulated me when we drafted his son and traded for Laine. He talks of the Liiga to me, the games he attended. He's a fan of HPK, and one of their D (Petteri Nurmi) was drafted by us.

Sorry for the random thoughts - wouldn't have find the opportunity to write this elsewhere anyway.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Senior VP of Sales on rising ticket prices "Every year we ask ourselves how much we can go up".

Yeah, I noticed lol.
That scene was so weird. Were they trying to make us feel sympathetic towards the Habs?

They also mention how they need to increase costs because of the cap that keeps going up. I assume that means the ticket prices haven't changed in the last few years, right?

What a dumb scene to include.

The show is fun though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad