GDT: The Raising of the Stanley Cup Banner and the Return of Jack "MF" Johnson: CHI @ COL 9:30 EST

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
You roll

Landeskog-MacK-Nuke
Lehkonen-Newhook-Rantanen

The first line was dynamite in the playoffs, and Rantanen is one of the best offense driving wings in the league. Newhook should be fine there, since Lehky can cover up some of his defensive shortcomings and he doesn't have to take the burden of driving the line since Mikko can do that.

Ya that would be fine.

Though the way Lehky - Mack - Mikko played last night as well makes me really want to keep them together and see if they can keep it going. I think its definitely possible Lehky can play the Landy role of our old Landy/Mack/Mikko trio that dominated for a few years.

Then you give Landy - Newhook - Nuke an extended run and see what Newhook can do with 2 relentless forecheckers on his wings.

TBH what I would really like to see at that point is for the Avs to go trade for Horvat and run an elite two-way 2nd line with Landy - Horvat - Nuke.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
My thoughts on Newhook are - he hit a rookie wall last year, but also that it is too early to expect him to flourish in a number two C role. There’s definitely going to be a learning curve here. No red flags to me yet, though.

If I’m being honest, though, I hate to have to expect him to fill in the slot at 2C so early in his career. I like him better as a 3c and JTC on wing.

Reactions: Azrael89

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Finally got to watch the ceremony on tape. All the feels, mofos. Group hugs. We deserve this, we’re the best team in the f***ing in the league. Been some lean years looking back.

Also, 1979 was the perfect song for the banner raising, you’re not human if you think otherwise. @henchman24

Last edited:

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Gotta give one more for JMFJ , too

1665703290368.gif

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Jack Johnson made last night so special. First, seeing JMFJ alone on the bench with that big grin on his face. Man, I got such a big kick out of that. Then seeing him skate over and join in and the way the boys welcomed him with open arms, smiles and hugs.

Damn...isn't that what this is all about? That moment.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I love how some people are already drawing conclusions on the makeup of this team after 1 game lol.

Great start. Keep rolling. Even if some pieces don’t look like they fit in their current role we’re able to give it most of the season to see if they adapt.

Super f***ing impressed with Mackinnon last night. He’s usually not buzzing this early.
Not to late to take a run at Bedard.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
There were many terrific memories of the post-cup revelrie:

The cop not recognizing Bo Byram
Mikko losing English skills
Drunken EJ ( take your pick of those)
Anything and everything Maxy

But for me, the best memory is of the night of this GDT, when JMFJ got on the ice with the rest of the boys who hoisted the cup, to watch the banner go up. The guy was just so damned happy and proud. He was the embodiment of the pure joy of playing we all had back in Pee Wees. I think JMFJ really liked being an Av.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
There were many terrific memories of the post-cup revelrie:

The cop not recognizing Bo Byram
Mikko losing English skills
Drunken EJ ( take your pick of those)
Anything and everything Maxy

But for me, the best memory is of the night of this GDT, when JMFJ got on the ice with the rest of the boys who hoisted the cup, to watch the banner go up. The guy was just so damned happy and proud. He was the embodiment of the pure joy of playing we all had back in Pee Wees. I think JMFJ really liked being an Av.
JMFJ is a damn treasure. All the personal shit that he's gone through and he's still showing up to the rink every day with a smile on his face for league min.

Seeing him back in a Bluejacket jersey is going to be almost as weird as seeing EJ in a Sabers jersey last year.

As for the bolded, the picture of Peter with the cup on his lap and that damn angelic smile on his face has literally choked me up when posted here before. Although I think my personal favorite memory of the Stanley Cup was actually just the vibe here on HFB throughout the 3rd period and then on thru the rest of the night. The revelry had here was impressive, I know some of y'all have been around HFB even longer than me but that night made me thing about the decade of suck and all the lows since 01, yet this community kept showing night after night, game after game. To finally win it all again and see everyone's reactions here was just awesome.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad