GDT: The Raising of the Stanley Cup Banner and the Return of Jack "MF" Johnson: CHI @ COL 9:30 EST

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The 2nd line just didn't get much offensive possession tonight. At least without Makar and Toews back there. Newhook can't win faceoffs, not sure why ERod didn't take them. Their only chances were on transition which is fine but if you don't build up some momentum with puck possesion all game, you're gonna be gripping it tight when you do get a rush chance. Should put in Landeskog and Nuke with Newhook so he can actually get to work offensively.

Reactions: Azrael89

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
My god Newhook is bad playing C. xGF% of 24%. He played bad enough to bring Val (a f***ing xGF% GOD) down to his level. He’s like Jost..without all the scoring chance whiffs. And this was against basically an AHL team.

It would behoove the Avs to get some value from him this year while teams think he can play C

Last edited:

Avs91

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2013
Wyoming
Fun night, could’ve easily been 6-0. Great game to work out some stuff. Rodrigues didn’t impress me at all…

Either way, game we should’ve won, and we did easily.

Also, it’s blink-182, not Blink-182 :rolleyes:

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Fun night, could’ve easily been 6-0. Great game to work out some stuff. Rodrigues didn’t impress me at all…

Either way, game we should’ve won, and we did easily.

You mean you weren't impressed by E Rod's 2 penalties?

Reactions: Avs91

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
giphy.gif

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Some interesting numbers from the game.

Avs won the corsi battle, but lost the expected goals war. Outside of the top line(Mack/Mikko/Lehky/Toews/Makar) every other player on the team had a negative expected goals.

I would say that especially matches the eye test. Definitely felt like the top line dominated but everyone else was just kind of going through the motions. Definitely feeling the Landy injury down the depth chart IMO. Feels like a lot of guys are playing up 1 line higher then they should be(ERod should be on the 3rd line for example) and the result is a bit of a struggle down the depth charts.

I also think as the season goes on its going to be clear this team will need one more Top 6 forward... Or at least a 3rd liner. I have major doubts that both Meyers and Newhook step up and solidify themselves in those role(Newhook as 2C and Meyers as 3rd liner). So I think we'll need to get at least one Top 9 guy, maybe even 2.

• Wow
Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo

Some interesting numbers from the game.

Avs won the corsi battle, but lost the expected goals war. Outside of the top line(Mack/Mikko/Lehky/Toews/Makar) every other player on the team had a negative expected goals.

I would say that especially matches the eye test. Definitely felt like the top line dominated but everyone else was just kind of going through the motions. Definitely feeling the Landy injury down the depth chart IMO. Feels like a lot of guys are playing up 1 line higher then they should be(ERod should be on the 3rd line for example) and the result is a bit of a struggle down the depth charts.

I also think as the season goes on its going to be clear this team will need one more Top 6 forward... Or at least a 3rd liner. I have major doubts that both Meyers and Newhook step up and solidify themselves in those role(Newhook as 2C and Meyers as 3rd liner). So I think we'll need to get at least one Top 9 guy, maybe even 2.
Newy still has a long way to go before he can drive a line. He was awful and so was ERod. Even Nuke couldn't save their possession numbers tonight. It's obviously extremely early to judge too harshly, but if this keeps up finding a #2C will be the #1 priority heading into the TDL.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Newy still has a long way to go before he can drive a line. He was awful and so was ERod. Even Nuke couldn't save their possession numbers tonight. It's obviously extremely early to judge too harshly, but if this keeps up finding a #2C will be the #1 priority heading into the TDL.

Not sure why it’s too early to judge. He hasn’t shown anything in over a year and a bit of NHL play to remotely suggest he would be a half competent top 9 C in this league. He’s being unfairly pigeonholed into a position he’s not suited for.

Reactions: Turbonium

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I love how some people are already drawing conclusions on the makeup of this team after 1 game lol.

Great start. Keep rolling. Even if some pieces don’t look like they fit in their current role we’re able to give it most of the season to see if they adapt.

Super f***ing impressed with Mackinnon last night. He’s usually not buzzing this early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad