Prospect Info: The Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
There are plenty of players not doing as well as Pettersson who were nevertheless brought over early in the season. Kevin Fiala and Mika Zibanejad immediately come to mind, in addition to Nylander. My only point was that players who are even holding their own in the SHL don't generally stay there for the full season, historically. Pettersson's statistical performance is a function of both the level to which he was able to dominate but also the situation that allowed him to play the full season.

In the past, a player with 21 points in 20 games or whatever he had probably would not usually have been left there to finish the season on a tear the way he did.
Happened with Lias Andersson this season too. Had 14 points in 22 games. Then moved to AHL after U20s. Now in the NHL.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
That guy Benning.....man he has no idea what he’s doing. Horrible GM!

You’re right. This in addition to all his moves, he might be the best GM in the league.

Back on topic.

It’s nice to see some of these players really dig down when it matters. Hopefully Kelowna’s goalie can do the same thing so Lind can have an actual playoff run.

Reactions: petrishriekandgo

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Good call. A good night by a handful of prospects is absolutely how you should judge a GM's total body of work.

There is absolutely no doubt that the kids in the system are kickin' ass... the biggest question is can GMJB, Trevor and Travis Green figure out how to run an NHL team in time to not waste the potential of the talent they've found? It's an open ended question... here's hoping they've learned A TON from the mistakes they've made so far. I'm sure we're all hoping for that....

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
There is absolutely no doubt that the kids in the system are kickin' ass... the biggest question is can GMJB, Trevor and Travis Green figure out how to run an NHL team in time to not waste the potential of the talent they've found? It's an open ended question... here's hoping they've learned A TON from the mistakes they've made so far. I'm sure we're all hoping for that....

Question is do they even think they’re making mistakes? Made one when they dealt for Gudbranson, made another by re-signing him for 3 years. Honestly not sure they’re learning much.

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
THAT may be the biggest question and why so many of us are concerned... but I'm still cautiously optimistic.

There was a press conference a year or two ago where Linden responded to a question by saying "what mistakes?".

These morons have no idea how to run an NHL team and will never be the architects to build anything but a bottom feeder

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I've figured it out...the reason why this thread always devolves into a management thread is because it is fundamentally about really positive news - a great prospect pool. Since we can't have positive news, it necessarily transforms into a complain about management thread.
At least that's what I'm thinking. Could be wrong.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
There are plenty of players not doing as well as Pettersson who were nevertheless brought over early in the season. Kevin Fiala and Mika Zibanejad immediately come to mind, in addition to Nylander. My only point was that players who are even holding their own in the SHL don't generally stay there for the full season, historically. Pettersson's statistical performance is a function of both the level to which he was able to dominate but also the situation that allowed him to play the full season.

In the past, a player with 21 points in 20 games or whatever he had probably would not usually have been left there to finish the season on a tear the way he did.

None of this changes the fact that his performance was extremely impressive to the point where it is very hard to even find any comparable players. I find it very frustrating that discussion gets stifled in here because if you say anything less than "Pettersson will be the greatest player to ever wear the jersey" then people get defensive and accuse you of trying to "diminish" his performance.
I should let it go but if these players were not doing near as well as Petterson how can they be used as examples against the strength of Petterson's numbers? Are you saying that them leaving the league has weakened the league to the point where Petterson is scoring more points? The argument for that would be relative goals scored going up in the league, however that has not happened. my response was not to stifle discussion it was to disagree with the point you were throwing out there that Petterson's numbers need to be put in context based on similar players leaving the Shl. My arguement simply was who are these similar players. You responsed by giving examples of players who by your own admission were not doing nearly as well as Petterson before they left. So it seems there really is not a anti selection bias at play here.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I should let it go but if these players were not doing near as well as Petterson how can they be used as examples against the strength of Petterson's numbers? Are you saying that them leaving the league has weakened the league to the point where Petterson is scoring more points? The argument for that would be relative goals scored going up in the league, however that has not happened. my response was not to stifle discussion it was to disagree with the point you were throwing out there that Petterson's numbers need to be put in context based on similar players leaving the Shl. My arguement simply was who are these similar players. You responsed by giving examples of players who by your own admission were not doing nearly as well as Petterson before they left. So it seems there really is not a anti selection bias at play here.

My point is that players who are doing well are often pulled out of the league long before that have any chance of setting the record. I am not really sure how to be more clear here.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Brett McKenzie had two goals and two assists tonight, in on every goal in Owen Sound's 4-3 overtime win over London. Gadjovick was pointless. (Evan Bouchard had a goal and an assist for London.)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Brett McKenzie had two goals and two assists tonight, in on every goal in Owen Sound's 4-3 overtime win over London. Gadjovick was pointless. (Evan Bouchard had a goal and an assist for London.)
So is Mckenzie still not for real or what he seems to be piling up the pts this days

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
So is Mckenzie still not for real or what he seems to be piling up the pts this days

Ya I’d say a guy who just turned 21 and put up .77 PPG in his 5th season of junior probably isn’t “for real”. Despite having a nice playoff game against a middling London team.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Ya I’d say a guy who just turned 21 and put up .77 PPG in his 5th season of junior probably isn’t “for real”. Despite having a nice playoff game against a middling London team.

You're probably right. If he keeps us this pace and the team goes on a bit of a playoff run, it'll be interesting to see what Canucks management makes of this short sample.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Thanks as always, S_C!

Any chance we see Zack MacEwen up for a game or two? Intrigued by his progress so far.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I've figured it out...the reason why this thread always devolves into a management thread is because it is fundamentally about really positive news - a great prospect pool. Since we can't have positive news, it necessarily transforms into a complain about management thread.
At least that's what I'm thinking. Could be wrong.
Pretty petty, reductive, and dismissive thing to say.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As I said, I could be wrong :) ...but I don't think so.
I mean, everything on these boards devolves into management talk because it's currently the greatest bottleneck that people are concerned about-- it fundamentally affects everything and is important enough that it can potentially steamroll the few positives that do occur.

Whether one shares that concern or not, or thinks that the big picture is relevant to smaller victories, it's incredibly foolish and disingenuous to think that people react that way out of some agenda to not be positive. Suggesting that is just partisan hackery and mudslinging for the sake of satisfying your resentment towards the attitude.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I mean, everything on these boards devolves into management talk is because it's currently the greatest bottleneck that people are concerned about-- it fundamentally affects everything and is important enough that it can potentially steamroll the few positives that do occur.

It's foolish to think that people react that way out of some agenda to not be positive.
First, it's been pointed out many times by other posters that this thread should stick to discussing prospects. There needs to be an oasis on these boards and, given the major positive thing about this team is the prospect pool, it's understandable that posters want this thread to be that oasis.
Second, I'm not sure you're right with your last statement. While I wouldn't necessarily put it down to a conscious agenda, groupthink is a real thing and being negative on these boards is a way to become popular among a significant portion of the constituency. I'm not saying posters aren't entitled to be negative if that's their bent. Clearly, many feel passionate about their opinions on management. It would just be nice to have one or two threads for the other portion of the constituency.

Reactions: Chiripa20
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad