The President's Trophy deserves way more respect.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Is it not a curse though?

Even if you don't believe in that stuff.

A team that has the post-season locked down will do things differently than a team whose GM or owners want to win the regular season and get a trophy for it.

I don't know.

Just pointing out that even the players dont care about the President's Trophy, and it's thus become a curse, which is probably stupid, but it is what it is.

The job is not done, f*** that trophy. That's the attitude I'd want to feel.

You nailed it.

'nuff said.

Yeah, f*** winning as much as possible! Let's embrace losing games in the regular season. You're not as hard as you think you are.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Is it not a curse though?

Even if you don't believe in that stuff.

A team that has the post-season locked down will do things differently than a team whose GM or owners want to win the regular season and get a trophy for it.

I don't know.

Just pointing out that even the players dont care about the President's Trophy, and it's thus become a curse, which is probably stupid, but it is what it is.

The job is not done, f*** that trophy. That's the attitude I'd want to feel.

You nailed it.

'nuff said.
No it’s not a curse. The 2013 Hawks and 08 Wings won both in the last 16 years. It just doesn’t correlate to best team in the league because often when teams know they’re going to comfortably make the playoffs they’ll take their foot off the gas and save some energy for the post season.

Not sure why @SnowblindNYR is throwing such a hissy and saying teams embrace losing though lol

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
No it’s not a curse. The 2013 Hawks and 08 Wings won both in the last 16 years. It just doesn’t correlate to best team in the league because often when teams know they’re going to comfortably make the playoffs they’ll take their foot off the gas and save some energy for the post season.

Not sure why @SnowblindNYR is throwing such a hissy and saying teams embrace losing though lol

So we're kinda getting on the same page here maybe?

2 teams in the last 16 years won the regular season, then went on to win the Stanley Cup.

Those are pretty bad odds.

Curse or no curse.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
With the obvious exceptions of resting goalies and sometimes resting players late in seasons coaches strategize to win every game. Maybe not to the same extent as the playoffs but coaches want to win the Presidents' Trophy not because it's the Presidents' Trophy but because you won as many games as possible. Why do people pretend like coaches or players don't care about winning games in the regular season? As someone pointed out the cup winner is almost always a top team in the regular season.

Nobody thinks that. Nobody is saying that.

You've answered the question in your own post. Teams have proven that they value health over winning late-season games by sitting their best players. Indicating they don't really care all that much about those particular games.

The President's Trophy winner doesn't usually win the cup, therefore it "doesn't matter." Still a nice accomplishment though.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com

You've answered the question in your own post. Teams have proven that they value health over winning late-season games by sitting their best players. Indicating they don't really care all that much about those particular games.

The President's Trophy winner doesn't usually win the cup, therefore it "doesn't matter." Still a nice accomplishment though.
It's a nice accompliment for sure.

Imagine being a CEO of a billion dollar corporation, and you own an NHL team, and you have an interview with someone in your office and you have your President's Trophy in there,

and they say.......Woah nice trophy, what's that?

"President's Trophy for most points in the regular season"

Cool, did you win the Stanley Cup?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I'd love an example of a team that overtook the best team because the best team was comfortably making the playoffs but the Presidents' Trophy winner weren't comfortably making the playoffs. I'd love to hear of all of these PT winners that weren't comfortably making the playoffs until they lucked into the best record in the NHL.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Considering the PT winners are making the playoffs you'd think they would sit their players as well. This is not the NFL there aren't a ton of games players are sat, maybe one at the end. Maybe a couple. And if some teams do it then the PT teams are also doing it since they're not a bubble team. And it has been proven time and time again that the PT teams have won most of the cups of any of the seeds. Are you expecting the PT teams to win more than 50% of the time while representing only 1/16 of the teams in the tournament?

No one including the OP would rather win a PT than a cup. But the idea of these fans that are so damn hard that only winning a cup means anything is hilarious. Why would you not strive for excellence in BOTH the regular season and the postseason?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'm gonna say it - it's not all just about winning the Cup.

Watching those Capitals regular season juggernauts was a whole lot of fun in the regular season. That's like six months of consistent entertainment. April might've sucked most of the time, but hey. I got over it by October.

And yeah, I think the Bruins and Capitals have been more successful than the Kings in the salary cap era.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm gonna say it - it's not all just about winning the Cup.

Watching those Capitals regular season juggernauts was a whole lot of fun in the regular season. That's like six months of consistent entertainment. April might've sucked most of the time, but hey. I got over it by October.

And yeah, I think the Bruins and Capitals have been more successful than the Kings in the salary cap era.

As a fan only two teams, one that has won two Super Bowls in my fanhood and one that never won a cup since I was a fan (I was alive but not a fan in 94), the Rangers have given me a lot more pleasure overall in my lifetime than the Giants have. I barely remember when the Giants were even competitive. Last year was a fun year for the Rangers, when I had months of entertainment and winning. 3 games where they looked bad to finish the season against a great team does not take away from that.

Ad

Ad

Ad