The President's Trophy deserves way more respect.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
Correct. The cup is about momentum and luck. The President's is about being the best hockey team.
Maybe and maybe not. A good team could win the President's Cup merely by staying healthy and playing the other good teams during times when they were going through injuries, i.e., luck of schedule, but that does not make them the best of the good teams. Also, the best team on the last day of the season may be a team that made some great TDL trades, but their record earlier in the season wasn't so hot. There is also the factor that some teams can play games against random opponents and do very well, but they then have difficulty in a long series against a single opponent.

By contrast, the playoffs involve only the top teams all playing in a compressed time period, and there are long series between each of the teams such that the winner that moves on probably was the better team between the two.

The President's Cup is a nice honor to be sure, but IMHO it's just not even roughly comparable to the Cup in prestige. One comes with a huge parade thrown by the City, the other comes with 10%-off coupons at Olive Garden (mmm, warm breadsticks).

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
It really doesn't. Presidents Trophy isn't the goal, so it impacts the behaviors of teams in the regular season. Playoffs players play through shit because they're playing for the Cup and leaving everything on the ice.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
the people who deride it are usually fans from teams that are at the bottom of the standings because in their mind they believe "Yeah you got the presidents trophy but you didn't get the cup, Meanwhile our team is getting a top pick in the draft so technically we are the winners! way to try hard LOSERS!"
I've never cared less about the President's trophy than I did about a week after the Lightning won it for the first and only time.

Not that I cared about it previously, but after that I care about even less.

Reactions: The Macho King

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This is ‘Merica. The trophy for regular season points gets exactly as much respect as it deserves.

Hell, I’d rather my team at least get the Prince of Wales or Clarence over some regular season title.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I've never cared less about the President's trophy than I did about a week after the Lightning won it for the first and only time.

Not that I cared about it previously, but after that I care about even less.
cool story bro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad