The President's Trophy deserves way more respect.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The world doesn't revolve around north American sports.

For many sports , the champion is the team with the most points at the end of the season. As it should be.

What the hell's the point of the regular season then ? Glorified pre season ? It's insanity.
Separate the playoff and non-playoff teams and fund the league.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
If you don’t have my opinion then you’re dumb. Nice.

If it’s really an OUTSTANDING achievement then it would be a bigger deal to more hockey fans. It’s not. It’s an achievement for sure but it’s small potatoes in a league where we care about the Stanley Cup.

There isn’t a “curse” or anything with winning it but if it were really a huge deal I think we’d see more PT winners also win the Cup. They don’t. There’s been what, TWO PT winners who have won the Cup since the lockout? 2013 Hawks and 2008 Wings? It’s just not a signifier of much when the playoffs are such clearly, CLEARLY, a better level of competition.

Well if you are operating on the principle of, "If you aren't first, you're last" then I guess nothing is significant except winning the Cup.

You can live in your black and white world and I'll live in the other one.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
The world doesn't revolve around north American sports.

For many sports , the champion is the team with the most points at the end of the season. As it should be.

What the hell's the point of the regular season then ? Glorified pre season ? It's insanity.
Well for the owners and players it's about money.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
At the same time, they would have been negated just as much if they had lost in Finals Game 7 OT. Like the 16-0 Patriots losing the Super Bowl on a last minute drive. As a historically good team they only had two options: GOAT or choke. No in between.

Most years, it isn’t like that. The regular season champion is a good team but not 135 points good or 16-0 good.

Yup, see GS Warriors.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
If you don’t have my opinion then you’re dumb. Nice.

If it’s really an OUTSTANDING achievement then it would be a bigger deal to more hockey fans. It’s not. It’s an achievement for sure but it’s small potatoes in a league where we care about the Stanley Cup.

There isn’t a “curse” or anything with winning it but if it were really a huge deal I think we’d see more PT winners also win the Cup. They don’t. There’s been what, TWO PT winners who have won the Cup since the lockout? 2013 Hawks and 2008 Wings? It’s just not a signifier of much when the playoffs are such clearly, CLEARLY, a better level of competition.
Whats dumb, i guess, is saying that its not outstanding achievement just because its not “big enough deal to hockey fans.” As if the fact, that you dont care about it, takes away something from the achievment of a team to be the most consistent winners over the course of six months and 82 games.

The point of the discussion anyway, is not whether fans care about it or not, its whether the consistency over longer period of time is actually not better measure of teams quality than winning the play-offs, even if the prize, you get for winning the play-offs, is the ultimate one (cause Merica, eh…). And therefore why, perhaps, it should deserve more recognition, than its getting, as seen in this very thread.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
They could do a "Supercup" right before the beginning of regular season or as the first game of the season, between the SC champs and the President's Trophy champ.
I like.

Bring back the O'Brien Trophy to present to the winner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad