The President's Trophy deserves way more respect.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I don't deny that the Cup is a way bigger deal. My issue is obtuse fans who can't even articulate why they don't consider it an accomplishment at all.
I don't think people think it isn't even an accomplishment at all.....some will say Cup is the only thing that matters and nothing else....but that's just a saying, they don't mean that word for word. Of course winning the President's trophy is nice, but it's a fairly insignificant achievement in the grand scheme of things. As a team, going down the stretch of 82 games....let's say you are in a 3 way battle for the President's trophy.....I guarantee you, the teams and players aren't really focused or thinking much about winning the Presidents trophy, it simply doesn't meant that much to them. What they are probably doing is looking at standings and looking at potential playoff matchups as to where they finish the year, etc. President's trophy guarantees you home ice throughout the playoffs, but 2nd overall almost gets you there as well.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Definitely.

It is actually a better indicator of the best team that season.

As much as I agree with the premise I'm not sure this is universally true. So if one team finishes with 115 points and another with 114 points and the team that finished with 115 points lost in the first round and the 114 point team won the cup is the 115 point team really a better team?

Matsun

Aug 15, 2010
UEFA Champions League is a cup that only the best european soccer teams soccer qualify for. In the CL you get to play against teams from other leagues so it's totally different competition you are facing once you've qualified. To qualify for the Stanley Cup playoffs you also have to be one of the best teams in the league over a season, but you play the same teams you played all year. Winning the league in soccer proves you are the best team in your nation, winning the CL proves you are the best team in Europe. In NHL the cup has the role that the league has in soccer and I have never really understood why. I don't understand the need for playoffs to be honest when you are just facing the same teams you face all season. Shouldn't a 82 game LEAGUE season be a better way to determine the best team in the LEAGUE than a 16 game CUP?

There are ofcourse national cups in soccer, but they have teams from different divisions and are a great way for really small teams like Arandina from the third division to get a chance to play Real Madrid.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
NHL fans care so deeply about the President’s trophy. It’s truly bizarre to me. In the NFL, absolutely no one cares or even knows who has the best regular season.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Combine an uneven schedule throughout the league, Lack of incentives for winning the trophy, and the tendency for the strongest teams to rest stars late in the season... There really isn't any difference between the top spots.

For example, last year Dallas was behind the NYR by 1 point. Do Stars fans really care that they just lost out on the trophy by that 1 point? Their season wasn't any less exciting or fun because of it.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
As much as I agree with the premise I'm not sure this is universally true. So if one team finishes with 115 points and another with 114 points and the team that finished with 115 points lost in the first round and the 114 point team won the cup is the 115 point team really a better team?

Yes. Certainly a stronger case than the get hot/puck luck of the playoffs in a smaller sample size.

• Haha
Reactions: Canadiens Ghost

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Combine an uneven schedule throughout the league, Lack of incentives for winning the trophy, and the tendency for the strongest teams to rest stars late in the season... There really isn't any difference between the top spots.

For example, last year Dallas was behind the NYR by 1 point. Do Stars fans really care that they just lost out on the trophy by that 1 point? Their season wasn't any less exciting or fun because of it.
If they had made the Cup Finals vs NYR I’m sure they would have cared. Which is the point of the Presidents Trophy. Home ice advantage in the whole postseason

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
Since the inauguration of the President's Trophy in 1986 there have been 17 PT winning franchises and 19 SC winning franchises...making the SC roughly 12% easier to win.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Seriously, why do people care so much about other peoples' opinions? If you want to show respect for the Presidents trophy winner, go for it. If you don't want to, that is also your prerogative.
I respect more the Stanley Cup winners that not only had to play the 82 games in the regular season, but had to survive through the grind of the playoffs when every team is giving their best.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
They could and it could be tournament (some world champ at hockey were like that, some soccer euro cup are like that), bigger sample size and so on.

But the strategy of making the Stanley Cup bigger than the nhl itself, is a good one and a nice distinction.

A big issue with the current nhl to make us care a lot about the president trophy, parity and the home ice advantage being virtually nill.... who care ?

Would it make you save a playoff round, assure you the home ice all alone in a context for which it matter, give you an bad first round opponent... ok

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
God's country just outside of Calgary
Winning the President's cup may mean something to the team that wins it but in reality it means nothing to the other 32 teams.
Kind of like getting 100% on a math test. You and your mom may be happy that you got it but nobody else in the class gives a shit.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I understand the sentiment, and there’s certainly a lot of variance that affects the playoffs. It’s also something that does matter a lot in football (soccer) leagues and used to be a big deal in baseball before they expanded the playoffs, so there’s precedent in other sports. The Canucks president trophy in 2011 was fun, but then the 2012 one felt meaningless like the games were just wasting time until the real season. I think the biggest issue is that with 16 teams making the playoffs, teams aren’t always maximizing their ability to win games in the regular season, because they just want to make it. If the Presidents trophy was actually who won the cup, the standings might look different.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
The NHL needs to incentivize things. The lowest two teams get relegated. The top team in each conference gets a few million dollars each player. Funded of course by the fans. So that the fans are also engaged in the presidents trophy race.

Then the top team and in each conference and the remaining top 2 point getting teams regardless of conference will do a round Robin for the Stanley Cup. Tie breaker decided by penalty kicks.
they-had-us-in-the-first-half-not-gonna-lie.gif

Reactions: MadLuke

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
It's ridiculous that so many NHL fans deride the President's Trophy and dismiss it as meaningless.
Because it is meaningless, as evidenced by top contenders routinely resting stars in the last month of the season.

The regular season is nothing but practice for the playoffs and bracket positioning for the legitimate contenders.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Because it is meaningless, as evidenced by top contenders routinely resting stars in the last month of the season.
that a bit circular, would it not be derired, acclaimed instead they would not.

A bit like player engaged in an Art Ross-Hart race usually not taken a rest the last games even if the playoff spot is a lock.

For a while winning the regular season was a bigger deal in the nhl (the playoff were shorter too) and the best team had played each other like 14 times with the exact same schedule, now we are not even comparing the same thing between them.

Some season it is extreme, Montreal won the east in 2008, they were 3-5-2 against the west, what looking at their record versus the Ducks (8-2-0 versus the east) that year tell us ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad