The Powerless Play! Habs lose 2-0

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
After the game a journalist asked Parenteau what he tought Barry Trotz could bring to the Caps, PAP answered: "he got a good system, he had success everywhere he went (partout où il est passé)"

lol Trotz only been with one team for 15 years!

You're only referring to the NHL. Trotz won the Calder Cup (AHL) as a head coach before getting hired by the Preds.

PricePkPatch*

So.

Why didnt we won 8-0? I was assured by many poster that Galchenyuk centering our best winger was a sure win. That we would abuse thr opposition.

What happened?

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
No doubt Galchenyuk had some rough defensive play. The winning goal was weak for sure, but his blown coverage on Carlson earlier was worse. He clearly needs to shore up that aspect. Part of it is the circling he does. Because of that style where he's always turning, he doesn't front properly, which is what a centre needs to do. They'll work with him on that. He can't let his guard down.

I thought some of the regulars (Subban, Patch, etc.) looked like they were using the game more to tune up, but also avoid getting banged up. Hard to tell much from that game.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
OK, now just keep winning three games out of every four and we'll win the Cup!

That's about 60 wins, add a few losses in overtime, good for 120+ points.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Thought Emelin looked a lot better this game, can tell he's getting more comfortable back on the left side.

Bit of a quiet game for Sekac, I thought he looked more comfortable when he was playing right wing as he was driving the net a lot more coming down the right side.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
- Strong game for Carey Price, really encouraging.
- Despite some useless penalties, I really like what I'm seeing from Gilbert.
- The defense in general played well.
- It was harder offensively, execution wasn't there.
- The fourth line will be interesting this year. I feel we haven't had this kind of effective-grinding line in a long time. Malhotra looks solid.
- In general, I feel that this team will be a pain to beat this year because of our speed.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So.

Why didnt we won 8-0? I was assured by many poster that Galchenyuk centering our best winger was a sure win. That we would abuse thr opposition.

What happened?

Don't know whoever said that but I doubt what the poster meant was if you play Galy and Max together we were going to win 82 games out of 82.

For a first time playing together though, they did quite well. They had a few scoring chances and Max missed a pretty surefire goal.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
No doubt Galchenyuk had some rough defensive play. The winning goal was weak for sure, but his blown coverage on Carlson earlier was worse. He clearly needs to shore up that aspect. Part of it is the circling he does. Because of that style where he's always turning, he doesn't front properly, which is what a centre needs to do. They'll work with him on that. He can't let his guard down.

I thought some of the regulars (Subban, Patch, etc.) looked like they were using the game more to tune up, but also avoid getting banged up. Hard to tell much from that game.

He's a bit too puck focused on the boards and on D. That's a normal young player mistake. He went for the puck instead of just tying up wards stick in front of the net.

Its inexperience and I'm sure he learned a valuable lesson from it.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Galchenyuk is still very much raw. I think the best thing for him is to play on a line where he has a eteran payer(or players) that can take care of the defensive part and faceoffs so he acn take a step forward offensively. What the habs need from Galchenyuk is to become a force on offense, the center thing is secondary.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I just hope Galchenyuk is allowed to make some mistakes. A guy like Plekanec gives up lots of offence by always being on the right side of the puck.

I'd like them to give AG a little rope and allow him to put the opponents on their heels more by thinking offence more.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Couple observations...

Tinordi needs another season in Hamilton, and it'll do wonders for his development. Not too long ago he was a skinny kid. He's now a mammoth of a human, capable of obliterating most players in this league. He's the type of defenseman the Kings love to utilize, like Regher, Schultz, Greene. These 3 defensemen won't win games with a beautiful pass or rocket one timer, but they work great on the PK, can pass the puck out of the zone, and instill fear in most opponents.

I find Tinordi has been trying too hard this training camp. Too many times he's been caught up the ice, playing too aggressvie for the type of game he should play. He needs to go back to the basics. If he can bring his decision making (with and without the puck) to the NHL level, he'll be a stalwart on our 2nd / 3rd pairing. Needs more time though.

Emelin played a great game. Crushed a few guys in the offensive zone, didn't look out of place at all. Hoping this duo can work.

Didn't notice Gilbert too much, which is a good thing. Couple of minors, but I liked how he imposed himself physically from time to time. Plays a simple game.

Lars looks faster than last year. Still gets that tunnel vision, but he's a bull with the puck. Expecting a solid year out of our 3rd line C.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I liked much about AG's game. He is far more aware defensively than he is getting credit for.
He had a couple of superb zone entries on PP. He was well positioned in both ends for the most part.
True he had a letdown on the GWG but i could sense that goal coming 25-30 secs before it happened.
My friends hate me for this...
We started getting lazy trying 95 ft passes just before the play turned the other way for good.
We had 5 guys more interested in the final whistle than completing their shift.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Textbook hit by Tinordi and no suspension needed. Otherwise, the execution was mostly horrible throughout the game for both teams.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Galchenyuk is still very much raw. I think the best thing for him is to play on a line where he has a eteran payer(or players) that can take care of the defensive part and faceoffs so he acn take a step forward offensively. What the habs need from Galchenyuk is to become a force on offense, the center thing is secondary.

The ''center thing'' is what exactly??
You do understand that people are saying to put Galy at center because that is where he will reach his potential?
It is pretty clear that Galchenyuk needs to be center. The room he has in the middle gives him a lot more space to pick up speed and explore his creative ways.
If Galy was better on the wing, then okay, but he isn't. He's better as a center.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Didn't get to watch the game last night. How was Chucky?

Choppy game all around. Parenteau was awful.. Thought Subban struggled with puck decisions.

Chuck had two badly blown coverages. Exhibited his normal vision, played well when the PP was set up, had some chances. Promising but hard to tell much from a game like this.. Price was the only one who looked stellar.

mikeysvette

Go Seadogs!
Mar 31, 2011
Saint John
Choppy game all around. Parenteau was awful.. Thought Subban struggled with puck decisions.

Chuck had two badly blown coverages. Exhibited his normal vision, played well when the PP was set up, had some chances. Promising but hard to tell much from a game like this.. Price was the only one who looked stellar.

Hearing this a little too often...ugh

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Also.. Not really sure I like the PP set up with no net front presence.. We set up on the perimeter and the rest of our play stays there until we lose a puck battle on the boards.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
The ''center thing'' is what exactly??
You do understand that people are saying to put Galy at center because that is where he will reach his potential?
It is pretty clear that Galchenyuk needs to be center. The room he has in the middle gives him a lot more space to pick up speed and explore his creative ways.
If Galy was better on the wing, then okay, but he isn't. He's better as a center.

The Center thing will come when it is needed. As of now, Chuckie still has to prove he can consistently produce on offense, whether that is on wing or center. He is clearly comfortable with the wing because he's had his most dominant performances of his career on the wing.

You are merely speculating that he will perform better at center which is an opinion that is shared by most... but it can't come at the expense of this team losing points. Chuckie will still develop and contribute immensely on the wing while not being as big of a defensive liability. This club won't stay healthy for the whole season, and Chuckie will be the first one in line to replace a centerman.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
We got to see Galchenyuk centering the 1st line, that was pretty exciting. That kid needs a lot more ice-time, he should be at least the 2nd or 3rd forward with the most ice-time each game. Give him a lot of minutes and let him figure out the NHL, he will become a force.

As you say, all Galchenyuk needs is lots of icetime, but in these days of parity, teams have to be sound defensively. Which is a Habs forte, first and foremost.

I don't watch the NBA but in the NFL a defensive player is entitled to his space and doesn't have to get out of the way of an offensive player who is moving towards him with his head down. I would look at it differently if Tinordi was hiding in the weeds or jumped out at him unexpectedly but that wasn't the case.

Maybe the player that got hurt should be suspended for a week and take mandatory crash avoidance classes at the NHL headquarters. Everyone is worried about players getting hurt but sometimes it's not always the other player's fault.

Nate Schmidt is quickly learning the difference between NCAA hockey & NHL hockey, skating the puck up ice with his head down could end his career.

After the game a journalist asked Parenteau what he tought Barry Trotz could bring to the Caps, PAP answered: "he got a good system, he had success everywhere he went (partout où il est passé)"

lol Trotz only been with one team for 15 years!

Actually Trotz was a Dman for Regina Pats in the WHL when they won the championship. He then was offered an invite to the AHL affiliate Baltimore Skipjacks by Jack Button(Director of Player Recruitment) for the parent Washington Capitals. It was his suggestion that Trotz should go into coaching, This was when Rod Langway was Secretary of Defence after being traded to Washington, a team absolutely focused on defence. When David Poile left as GM of Washington and took over new franchise Nashville, he brought Trotz with him to coach the Predators. This probably explains Barry's fixation with his team's playing great defensively, but he's also shown an ability to work with good offensive talent. He had Forsberg and Kariya in 2006 - 2007 and led Nashville to 110 Pts. & 3rd in the West, he also garnered the Sporting News, coach of the year voted on by his peers.

Before the Preds, he also had great success with the Portland Pirates, winning a Calder Cup and another final in 5 years.

Trotz is recognized league wide as a very good coach, having been the longest tenured coach in the NHL after Lindy Ruff was fired in Buffalo. Trotz's coaching has brought about a massive change in the Capitals play defensively, having some very great offensive talents, look for Washington to be at the very top of the standings in 2014 -2015, Top Three isn't out of the question. The play of the Capitals had a lot to do with how listless the Habs looked, Trotz demands good defence from his players, while not impeding their offence. The Capitals may be the stingiest defence in the league this season & Trotz will be the biggest influence in their improvement. Just ask Bergevin, he was quoted as saying Washington has made big changes, Trotz being the biggest, IMHO.:nod:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The Center thing will come when it is needed. As of now, Chuckie still has to prove he can consistently produce on offense, whether that is on wing or center. He is clearly comfortable with the wing because he's had his most dominant performances of his career on the wing.

You are merely speculating that he will perform better at center which is an opinion that is shared by most... but it can't come at the expense of this team losing points. Chuckie will still develop and contribute immensely on the wing while not being as big of a defensive liability. This club won't stay healthy for the whole season, and Chuckie will be the first one in line to replace a centerman.

The question of losing points is ridiculous. The Boss wants to see AG at center ask him why not the board we can only speculate. The coach who just took a new 4yr deal and was hired by the Boss is gonna listen. This is not a training camp thing it is a project. MT hinted at this in his post game yesterday. For as long as hockey has been played teams have used every method possible to free up their star players. Double shifting, position changes, sneak them out on the fly, etc. MT has a new challenge this year namely to get AG as many high quality reps (real game) as possible. This will surely include PP 4/4 blowouts spelling a penalty killer and taking a regular shift if we lose a center to a lengthy penalty. Eventually starting games later this year if all goes well.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The question of losing points is ridiculous. The Boss wants to see AG at center ask him why not the board we can only speculate. The coach who just took a new 4yr deal and was hired by the Boss is gonna listen. This is not a training camp thing it is a project. MT hinted at this in his post game yesterday. For as long as hockey has been played teams have used every method possible to free up their star players. Double shifting, position changes, sneak them out on the fly, etc. MT has a new challenge this year namely to get AG as many high quality reps (real game) as possible. This will surely include PP 4/4 blowouts spelling a penalty killer and taking a regular shift if we lose a center to a lengthy penalty. Eventually starting games later this year if all goes well.

Precisely what the Habs intentions are for AG, Bergevin feels he's ready to take the next step and it's the coaches responsibility to make this happen. Without putting AG in positions of weakness, more PP time and at center against weaker opponents, building his confidence and preparing him for tougher competition as the season progresses, as the Habs did with Eller in his rookie season. AG can play LW in between giving him as much icetime as he can handle confidently.:nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad