OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Let's play this game and Miami calls us up.
There is no way in hell that we trade our only experienced backup, even if it were for a 1st rounder (it wouldn't be).

The QB room would be JF and Allen (who has never taken an NFL snap).
They would need to sign Tannehill to fill out the room.

Which leads me to the next point. Why would Miami trade for a currently injured QB when they themselves could just sign Tannehill?

Kyle Allen has19 starts and well over 4000 career yards. Guy ain't great but he's plenty experienced.

That aside, yeah, I really doubt they're letting go of QB depth unless the price is ridiculous.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Let's play this game and Miami calls us up.
There is no way in hell that we trade our only experienced backup, even if it were for a 1st rounder (it wouldn't be).

The QB room would be JF and Allen (who has never taken an NFL snap).
They would need to sign Tannehill to fill out the room.

Which leads me to the next point. Why would Miami trade for a currently injured QB when they themselves could just sign Tannehill?
Tannehill sucks? And Allen does have some experience. For a back up he's not bad.

Also, I know we wouldn't get a 1st rounder, which is why I said it. However if Miami is that desperate the only way I'd consider that premise is with a massive overpayment.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
That throw is more about release and how fast you can get from seeing it to putting on Muth, not necessarily velocity. If Fields was gonna throw it he needed to let it fly when Muths back was still turned while he was in the pocket. Which makes it even dicier because you need to be on the same page about where the WR (TE in this case) is going to sit down, which way he’s opening up, etc. and it needs to be away from the LB. Any tipped ball is a pick.

Brady was the master of making that throw routine and that’s why he’s the GOAT.

For mortals, im okay with Fields not throwing it. Not as ho-hum as it seems and I don’t think the risk/reward is there when he can slide, extend the play and look for options… and run as he did. But I understand the point JT is making, and I agree with the overarching ideology he’s coming with— just don’t agree with the application on that play.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Kyle Allen has19 starts and well over 4000 career yards. Guy ain't great but he's plenty experienced.

That aside, yeah, I really doubt they're letting go of QB depth unless the price is ridiculous.

You're right, I forgot Allen had played before. He was unmemorable to me lol

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That throw is more about release and how fast you can get from seeing it to putting on Muth, not necessarily velocity. If Fields was gonna throw it he needed to let it fly when Muths back was still turned while he was in the pocket. Which makes it even dicier because you need to be on the same page about where the WR (TE in this case) is going to sit down, which way he’s opening up, etc. and it needs to be away from the LB. Any tipped ball is a pick.

Brady was the master of making that throw routine and that’s why he’s the GOAT.

For mortals, im okay with Fields not throwing it. Not as ho-hum as it seems and I don’t think the risk/reward is there when he can slide, extend the play and look for options… and run as he did. But I understand the point JT is making, and I agree with the overarching ideology he’s coming with— just don’t agree with it on that play.

This point I do agree with. You got to know what your guys are going to do and at this point, of course Fields doesn't. My reading of it is slightly different, but he's still got to know what Muth is going to do next and I think its fair if he doesn't.

*shrugs* I still think Fields could have thrown that but in that situation, him running it is really understandable.

Incidentally, having watched some of Fields' throws on the run, he is weirdly good at rolling out to his left and throwing out to the left touchline on the move. I suspect that's part of why Atlanta bit so hard on his rollout for that looong pass to Pickens at the end of the second half.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
This point I do agree with. You got to know what your guys are going to do and at this point, of course Fields doesn't. My reading of it is slightly different, but he's still got to know what Muth is going to do next and I think its fair if he doesn't.

*shrugs* I still think Fields could have thrown that but in that situation, him running it is really understandable.

Incidentally, having watched some of Fields' throws on the run, he is weirdly good at rolling out to his left and throwing out to the left touchline on the move. I suspect that's part of why Atlanta bit so hard on his rollout for that looong pass to Pickens at the end of the second half.

That was his pass to Washington.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

Cool and i not going to pretend a guy with 1 300 yard passing game in his career and has 31 starts with 1 or 0 td passes in year 4 is a long term qb. He is a backup up like Mitch Kenny and Mason. He will get the next 2 starts according to Dulac
I’ll bet Fields starts the majority of games this year. Loser deletes their account. Deal?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I enjoy harping on Tomlin's misgivings as much as most in this thread, but I'm not sure what else he's meant to do. Throw Wilson in with a dodgy calf and hope it doesn't go?

Also that big throw to Pickens is one where Fields deffo throws before Pickens is out of the break. Fields doesn't really have to throw Pickens open because the scheme has done that, but he's thrown at the right time to make sure he doesn't get closed again. There's not a shortage of examples of Fields not throwing with anticipation, but props where props are due.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
I enjoy harping on Tomlin's misgivings as much as most in this thread, but I'm not sure what else he's meant to do. Throw Wilson in with a dodgy calf and hope it doesn't go?

Also that big throw to Pickens is one where Fields deffo throws before Pickens is out of the break. Fields doesn't really have to throw Pickens open because the scheme has done that, but he's thrown at the right time to make sure he doesn't get closed again. There's not a shortage of examples of Fields not throwing with anticipation, but props where props are due.

Agreed on all points. MT should and would be rightfully crucified if Wilson gets hurt even further. What is the rush? Fields put a winning effort on the board and he should be afforded the opportunity for at least the next game.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I’ll bet Fields starts the majority of games this year. Loser deletes their account. Deal?
Dude played to Kenny Pickett levels and we won inspite of him and they put restrictions on playtime in the trade with Chicago. They were talking about a package for him so unless RW is out all season this is dumb

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I am completely perplexed why anyone would be mad about Tomlin playing Fields because Wilson was injured. Like what?

Take out your personal opinions on the QBs entirely, playing an injured guy because "we don't want a QB controversy by playing the backup" is legit one of the dumbest things I've seen someone argue. Of course it's coming from Dulac, because the Pittsburgh sports media is full of morons.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Dude played to Kenny Pickett levels
No, he was better than Pickett. Half a yard better per attempt, used his legs, and his rating was 13 points higher than Pickett's career rating. I am not a big Fields fan and thought he was just ok last game but that was still better than Pickett's level. I will say the lack of TDs was bang on Pickett though.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Yeah I don’t know why people are struggling to understand that Russell Wilson is hurt. With the way he plays, any injury that limits his mobility could be a disaster.

Even if this does create a QB controversy, is that a bad thing? This team owes Wilson nothing - they have no history with him or financial obligation to him.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Pickett doesn't have the deep ball nor the mobility that Fields does, my lord. Give him a couple of games here before sticking him with a back up moniker.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I don’t know why people are struggling to understand that Russell Wilson is hurt. With the way he plays, any injury that limits his mobility could be a disaster.

Even if this does create a QB controversy, is that a bad thing? This team owes Wilson nothing - they have no history with him or financial obligation to him.

Yeah that's the bizarre thing here. Why do we give a shit about a QB controversy with a 35 year old Russell Wilson on a 1 year, vet minimum deal?

Tomlin should simply play the guy who is playing better, and considering Wilson is hurt, there is almost zero chance that Wilson is better than Fields right now. And even when Wilson gets healthy, Fields should keep the job if his play warrants it.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah that's the bizarre thing here. Why do we give a shit about a QB controversy with a 35 year old Russell Wilson on a 1 year, vet minimum deal?

Tomlin should simply play the guy who is playing better, and considering Wilson is hurt, there is almost zero chance that Wilson is better than Fields right now. And even when Wilson gets healthy, Fields should keep the job if his play warrants it.

Well there's the bit where the controversy matters. What if when Wilson is healthy, Fields is playing well enough that taking the job away is awkward, but not so well that you don't want to find out what Wilson - notionally the better QB when fit - has because that might elevate the team's ceiling that crucial extra degree?

I mean, yeah, Wilson is a 35 year old on a 1 year vet minimum deal... but he's also the multiple award winning guy with a super bowl ring that the team brought in because, if you believe them, they want to win now. If they believe in him like that, then Fields being alright shouldn't matter to that decision, but it will.

Which is why I think a controversy matters. I'm not necessarily saying it's a bad thing, but it matters. Any time the narrative means the team's engine room are going to struggle to bring people along with what they believe in, it matters. Does Tomlin want to find himself in a position where after 5 games, he's having to win people over to keeping on with Wilson over Fields because he believes Wilson has the higher ceiling when integrated, but it's a bit slow and some guys think he's wrong? I doubt it. It's not ideal. It's the sort of little thing that snowballs.

So... I do think we should give a shit about QB drama.

The word I bristle at is 'unnecessary'. The more you believe there's potentially something great still left in Wilson, the more important it is to be cautious about his health. Even if you think you've got to just ignore that and stick Wilson in, you've got to be aware that a hindered QB has a damn good chance of generating drama all by himself.

There's nothing Tomlin can do about it except react to the situation. Dulac's been both stupid and a tosser for suggesting otherwise, which is really weird considering how often he's the Steelers tame reporter.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad