OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Totally agreed. The most impressive QB in the league this week was Stafford, IMO, and he is truly one of the last QBs from a generation of great QBs. The 2000's and 2010's were really good to football fans with QBing.

I don't even think Allen is as great as many say. He reminds me of Lundqvist. I think the great QBs in the NFL today are great...for today, but I wouldn't put them up with greats.

I think Josh Allen is one of the best three QBs in the league today. Without having seen the best of the past though, I doubt he belongs with them. It's definitely a down time for quarterbacking and I do kind of wonder why.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
But then you get this at... a second later? Half a second later? Hard to be sure as O'Sullivan pauses the tape and this is what he pauses it on

View attachment 906640

And to me it is indeed on. The two guys behind Muth aren't going to catch him and that number 20 in front of him is running away from him while squaring up to Fields and therefore can't interfere. It would be even more blatant about a half second more -

View attachment 906638

where 20 is well away from him. I think there's even a YAC opportunity there. I do kind of wish that throw was made.

I can't agree with this. In those screenshots, Fields is on the move and any throw he makes has a tendency to float if he doesn't put the correct English on the ball.
Also, I feel the closing speed of the defenders is being severely underestimated. That ball has to go 15 yards from release point. Muth is pretty much surrounded/standing still while the defenders are in full motion.

Fields throws this pass and it's about a 98% chance it's picked or incomplete. Only a perfect throw on the move will get it to Muth. Want to know who makes that throw? Prime Ben.

Fields made the right choice here.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Fields has a canon of an arm can make that throw

A throw on the move is less about the strength/velocity and more about the touch/release point.

Release too late and that ball is going 5 feet over his head. Too early and it's in the dirt. The margin while you're running like that is so small it's no wonder every QB struggles with it.

If Fields is sitting in the pocket, he and every other NFL QB can and should be able to make that throw.

Also consider that in that 2nd screenshot, Muth is more to Fields' left vs straight on. So Fields has to thrown against the momentum of his body which increases the difficulty by at least twice as much. If Muth was more to JF's right (or even straight on), it's difficult, but still easier than where Muth is here.

I mean Mahommes might even struggle to complete this pass and he's a freak.
People are underestimating physics and how fast shit happens in the NFL.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I’ll take a first rounder back lol
Pretty much the only way I'd consider it. Miami is one of the teams we're vying for a playoff spot with, no reason to help them in any way UNLESS they pay kings ransom. This Tua scenario helps the Steelers big time.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Pretty much the only way I'd consider it. Miami is one of the teams we're vying for a playoff spot with, no reason to help them in any way UNLESS they pay kings ransom. This Tua scenario helps the Steelers big time.

Let's play this game and Miami calls us up.
There is no way in hell that we trade our only experienced backup, even if it were for a 1st rounder (it wouldn't be).

The QB room would be JF and Allen (who has never taken an NFL snap).
They would need to sign Tannehill to fill out the room.

Which leads me to the next point. Why would Miami trade for a currently injured QB when they themselves could just sign Tannehill?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I can't agree with this. In those screenshots, Fields is on the move and any throw he makes has a tendency to float if he doesn't put the correct English on the ball.
Also, I feel the closing speed of the defenders is being severely underestimated. That ball has to go 15 yards from release point. Muth is pretty much surrounded/standing still while the defenders are in full motion.

Fields throws this pass and it's about a 98% chance it's picked or incomplete. Only a perfect throw on the move will get it to Muth. Want to know who makes that throw? Prime Ben.

Fields made the right choice here.

Ehhh. I think Muth is moving enough - and the guy in front of him is moving faster - that putting it in front of Muth doesn't let the other guys get it.

I also feel pretty sure Fields can make that throw based on looking at highlights of him throwing on the move and just what I've seen in highlights of other guys. Consistently? Well few things Fields does is consistent, but from the stats, he's as consistent on the move as standing still and at targeting 15 yards down field as he is 5, so...

I still feel on the fence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad