OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tbf, he's got plenty of recent examples of younger players giving him palpitations to reinforces his biases right now and it's not like there's a bunch of rookie performances like Frazier's. Kid looked instantly borderline elite, which maybe isn't a surprise given how much college experience he has.

I'm going to curb my enthusiasm over Frazier until we see how NFL coaches respond to him, and his lack of elite quickness and short arms, but dear gods is that boy going to cause problems for anyone he gets his hands on. A dude who can ragdoll Grady Jarrett on his debut is a dude indeed. Probably the best rookie debut I've seen in my time seriously following the Steelers.

Yeah this is a big reason why I think he should be more aggressive with Fautanu as well, he also has a lot of experience similar to Frazier. I understand his hesitation with Jones since Jones was a very raw prospect, but I think Fautanu is closer to Frazier than he is Jones in terms of readiness.

But yeah, putting anyone expectations to match Frazier's week 1 performance is setting them up for failure. That being said, it seems like their IOL is set up amazingly well going forward.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah this is a big reason why I think he should be more aggressive with Fautanu as well, he also has a lot of experience similar to Frazier. I understand his hesitation with Jones since Jones was a very raw prospect, but I think Fautanu is closer to Frazier than he is Jones in terms of readiness.

But yeah, putting anyone expectations to match Frazier's week 1 performance is setting them up for failure. That being said, it seems like their IOL is set up amazingly well going forward.

If Fautanu wasn't swapping sides I'd fully agree, but he is, which gives a moment of caution. But yeah, he should be fine.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He’s always injured lol…

Just think of how horrendous it will be when Fautanu starts RT, Moore at LT and Tomlin sits Jones, who they moved up for in the first round …either it was a terrible pick or they can’t develop him…terrible

Not great, no.

But see where the rest of the story goes.

And if Frazier and Fautanu are both hits, that eases the sting a lot.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Not great, no.

But see where the rest of the story goes.

And if Frazier and Fautanu are both hits, that eases the sting a lot.
Not really imo…to spend draft capital in the first round to move up for a guy who becomes your swing tackle backup is no bueno…

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not really imo…to spend draft capital in the first round to move up for a guy who becomes your swing tackle backup is no bueno…

Of course it's no bueno but it's the draft, no bueno happens a lot. Just from Jones' draft, Tyree Wilson and Lukas Van Ness both went before him and are currently back-up edge guys who don't provide a bunch. Some of those guys will blossom in their 3rd and 4th year and be fine. Some won't.

I can live with some no bueno as long as there's some bueno and the OL functions.

Reactions: T1K and Andy99

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think once Jones moves to LT it's lights out. I think Fautanu is a near immediate Pro Bowler at RT. We are in such good shape regarding OL. It makes me really happy and comfortable with basically anything else they want to do. Even letting Fields kind of sit back there and Kordell Stewart it for a couple years.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Let's not completely dismiss that Jones is still wearing the big arm brace so it is not like he is fully healthy. He was better last year than this year so I think the injury is playing a part. Guys don't usually get that much worse their second year.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I think once Jones moves to LT it's lights out. I think Fautanu is a near immediate Pro Bowler at RT. We are in such good shape regarding OL. It makes me really happy and comfortable with basically anything else they want to do. Even letting Fields kind of sit back there and Kordell Stewart it for a couple years.
I hope you're right about Fautanu, because he struggled against the Texans and Danielle Hunter in his only preseason work.

This is a little bit outside the box, but it would be nice to see him get a couple snaps a game as an extra tackle instead of these 3 and 4 TE formations. I know Detroit likes to do this sometimes. It's probably more of a tell though than going multiple TE.

Justifiably harsh early on, and then gives Fields some praise towards the end. Interesting that he blamed #88 on that Jaylen Warren 4th and 1 that the chain gang mixed up. His take on the Pickens OPI is valid - gotta be more subtle than that, push off at the guys hips instead of the shoulders 🧠. "This throw will be in every offense across the league this week" is something we never heard about Canada lol.

Reactions: T1K

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
I was not a huge fan of the Smith hire, but so far so good. I think we saw some of the things that drove Falcons fans crazy but he’s so much better than Canada.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The big thing about the QB School video is hearing all this stuff about liking the plays. It's a breath of fresh air. See also that stat showing the receivers having good separation too. I'm going to wait and see on Smith but so far he looks like a live one to me. It's still going to be conservative - often frustratingly so - but I think it's going to be smartly conservative and capable of incorporating big plays.

Also, if you look at the last play on there, I love watching Dan Moore deal with his block and the backside pursuit of Fields by pushing one into another.

As for what it's got to say about Fields - it's all been said before.
This is a little bit outside the box, but it would be nice to see him get a couple snaps a game as an extra tackle instead of these 3 and 4 TE formations. I know Detroit likes to do this sometimes. It's probably more of a tell though than going multiple TE.

I'd still be interested in seeing it. You could probably also use McCormick like that too.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
While I’m more optimistic than last year, I’m not ready to say Arthur Smith is crushing it or anything considering we relied on Boz to make multiple +50 yard field goals.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
While I’m more optimistic than last year, I’m not ready to say Arthur Smith is crushing it or anything considering we relied on Boz to make multiple +50 yard field goals.
Fields has 31 starts with 1 or less passing td not sure they will score a ton with him at Qb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad