OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Hmm that blows. If you don’t have something the niners will accept then there’s nothing that could have been done, but it kind of feels like Khan tried to play hardball and lost.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Not sure what our offer was and why it was rejected or why we didn’t increase it, but if it was super low I’ll be kind of annoyed.

Reactions: wheelz87

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I just don’t think that SF can really make up their mind which is making this whole situation complicated. It seems like they want him back but only on their terms but the the fact that they are now open to trading him instead of 3 months ago is bizarre.

If waiting on a guy like Aiyuk wasn’t the Steelers plan then I definitely question their whole approach during free agency.

I think the big difference between now fifteen minutes and three months ago is that the 49ers thought Aiyuk would come around and all would be well. Then he didn't and they decided to see if there was a better route to a Super Bowl than a sulky WR - but it had to be a route to the SB, so only a certain type of trade would work.

And now the big difference between now and fifteen minutes ago is that Aiyuk thought the 49ers would come round or another team would dig him out, but that hasn't happened either.

I don't necessarily think this is over either. Feel like the way this has been going it's not over until it's absolutely over. But would be one hell of a twist from here, and that's a definite put up or shut up to the Steelers.

*pause* If the 49ers do work a deal with Aiyuk, I wonder how similar to the Steelers deal it will be...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think the big difference between now fifteen minutes and three months ago is that the 49ers thought Aiyuk would come around and all would be well. Then he didn't and they decided to see if there was a better route to a Super Bowl than a sulky WR - but it had to be a route to the SB, so only a certain type of trade would work.

And now the big difference between now and fifteen minutes ago is that Aiyuk thought the 49ers would come round or another team would dig him out, but that hasn't happened either.

I don't necessarily think this is over either. Feel like the way this has been going it's not over until it's absolutely over. But would be one hell of a twist from here, and that's a definite put up or shut up to the Steelers.

*pause* If the 49ers do work a deal with Aiyuk, I wonder how similar to the Steelers deal it will be...
The difference between the Niners and Steelers is that the Steelers not only have to pay Aiyuk but also pay the Niners…at some point, it’s not worth it…easier to pay your own players…if the reported ask for Aiyuk was Muth or Pickens, then I can understand why the Steelers passed

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The difference between the Niners and Steelers is that the Steelers not only have to pay Aiyuk but also pay the Niners…at some point, it’s not worth it…easier to pay your own players…if the reported ask for Aiyuk was Muth or Pickens, then I can understand why the Steelers passed

True dat.

Still, I think for the Niners it's maybe a bit easier if they can go "hey, you got a contract offer from a team you'd be willing to go to, you know what your market is, maybe we can find more common ground here now". If Aiyuk wanted 30m and wouldn't budge, but turned that down from the Pats and couldn't get it from the Steelers, it gets easier for them.

Reactions: Andy99

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Early summer Steelers were kicking the tires on Aiyuk and Sutton (and I think another guy but I can’t recall who, not Metcalf). SF probably took a hardline then, with the intent they weren’t going to move the player, they wanted him on their hopefully SB-worthy roster (that he helps make SB-worthy).

More recently the relationship seemed fractured or at least aggravating to SF, so they we by back around.

In the meantime, Steelers had executed a contingency plan, so we’re re-entering talks in a different place. So they maybe were willing to draw a hard line.

It will depend on what was in the other side of that hard line that will determine whether this unfulfilled late summer dalliance ended up all wrong for the Black & Gold.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This just needs to be over at this point :laugh:

Yeah my first response when I saw that Schultz tweet was "this sounds like PR coming straight from the 49ers".

The 49ers have been using the media to sway public perception the entire time during this saga.

Reactions: T1K

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Reactions: T1K

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
You mean before it’s confirmed Aiyuk is a primadonna malcontent just as he is traded to the Steelers?

hashtag joking but only mostly joking

Well if I were the niners I would definitely trade a locker room cancer like this for whatever I could get.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
This saga is only interesting as it involves the Steelers, but a WR trying to get paid 1 year pre-FA and picking his preferred destination is not new or interesting. It is also a way for a WR to get his name out there a bit more, exorcise his inner divas.

Paying a lot of assets for the privilege of handing 10%+ of our cap to a receiver is not my favorite thing in the world. We created this issue when we traded Johnson needlessly.

Mr Jeff Jimerson

May 9, 2013
And that's exactly why Russell Wilson is the starting QB and not Fields. Fields isn't a starting caliber NFL QB, and never will be.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Well Fields came as advertised. Holds on to the ball and turnovers ... 2 fumbled snaps. it's only preseason....but not looking good for this new offense. Also, their first round pick got beat in under 1.5 seconds. Farts

Reactions: Andy99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad