OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm HUGE Pickens fan so my glasses are obviously colored a different way.

I view Pickens as no different than most WR's. They have a big ego when they aren't involved. When they inserted MR and started opening things up last year, his effort and attitude changed dramatically.

So I don't think Pickens being threatened by BA will impact him as much as people think. If he gets upset when BA is here, I think it will solely be to him not having enough balls thrown his way vs BA's presence alone. Whoever the WR2 is won't get a ton of work and that's not going to sit well with these upper tier WR's.

I have zero issue with GP and I’d think he wants Aiyuk on the team if you forced me to guess.

The problem here is— if you pay Aiyuk you’re going to have to hand Pickens a massive bag.

I am bolding the most important part to me here.

I mean you were probably going to have to hand Pickens a big old bag of money anyway to keep him happy. But now you definitely have to.

And the likelihood that a run heavy team is going to want to give both of them that big bag - particularly when to the best of my admittedly limited knowledge their best work comes on the same sort of deep routes - seems low.

I mean, yes, they could do it. Philadelphia do it. But it seems pretty likely that there's a scenario here where they don't pay Pickens the bag as well and they're okay with it. They're not tied to the idea that Pickens is a WR1 calibre player here for the next X years.

Which, as I said, is where I start asking questions.

Personally I'm not okay with Pickens' inconsistent effort. Yeah, last year was bleak for the WRs, but I think it's smart business in the NFL to get rid of players who don't keep their head up when things get bleak. Given his inconsistency on the field, I see no reason to doubt the pre-draft reports and occasional media reports that he's a pain in the rear behind the scenes too. So that does colour my view.

But I think while trying to put aside bias as much as possible, if you're looking for the ramifications of the Steelers' actions and the possible reasons they're doing this, then I think it is very hard to argue that Aiyuk's pay cheque doesn't threaten Pickens' future with the Steelers, and that the Steelers are willing to threaten Pickens' future here due to his immaturity.

I would also add that I doubt Pickens is going to act out over Aiyuk being here unless things go weird and he's not getting targets. Agree with everyone there, said it already.

But he is going to want an extension next summer and we're here discussing this scenario because that doesn't always go smooth.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Maybe I’m just not used to NFL trades because the Steelers were never really involved but this whole thing is crazy. The niners are really putting the national media to work for them.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Miami the league’s best offense is paying
3/84 with void years his cap hit in 27 will be 33 and then 28 will be 37 probably traded or resigned Waddle
Tua just got paid and they guaranteed more money for Hill
The Eagles are paying Hurtz smith and AJ

The 49ers were willing to pay Debo 26 million and Aiyuk 26 million make cdmc the highest paid Rb and hand a Qb 55 to 60 million

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Miami the league’s best offense is paying
3/84 with void years his cap hit in 27 will be 33 and then 28 will be 37 probably traded or resigned Waddle
Tua just got paid and they guaranteed more money for Hill
The Eagles are paying Hurtz smith and AJ

The 49ers were willing to pay Debo 26 million and Aiyuk 26 million make cdmc the highest paid Rb and hand a Qb 55 to 60 million

The Dolphins haven't won a playoff game since 2000, so I'm not really sure they're the case you should be pointing at for "teams who have success paying 2 WRs more than $20 million a year".

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
It depends on what he costs of course, but I can't think of the last team who has won anything while paying 2 WRs over $20 million a year.

I think bringing in Aiyuk to be their long-term WR1 and eventually trading Pickens for draft picks to draft a new WR is the smart play with the cap. You'll have your proven #1 WR locked up and have guys like Wilson and that newly drafted WR with the Pickens pick as cheap WRs on rookie deals.
As BigDaddy said, Miami and Philly are two teams paying their WRs big money. It really comes down to QB and what ends up happening with that position long term.

It’s tough to measure success strictly off of superbowls considering how dominant KC has been.

Reactions: WickedWrister

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Regarding the Pickens stuff - for me that's a problem to think about after the season. Too many variables right now, especially the QB position and how much money we're going to be allocating to that. Heyward is off the books next year, Muth extension, Najee.

Reactions: Son Goku and T1K

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This is all a fable, a tall tale. Guys on 93.7 the fan insisted something would come down at 3:30pm, NOTHING!

Reactions: Son Goku

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Nobody and I mean NOBODY with even a modicum of credibility as confirmed this is a done deal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
As BigDaddy said, Miami and Philly are two teams paying their WRs big money. It really comes down to QB and what ends up happening with that position long term.

I already mentioned the Dolphins, but Philly is also not really paying their WRs big money either. Smith did just sign that $25 million a year deal, but his cap hit is under $15 million for all of 2024-2027.

I don't understand how these contracts get these yearly cap hits at this point, so you could probably play around with the money to make it work. My comment should be more rephrased to "you shouldn't have 2 WRs making more than $20 million on the cap". Like if you sign Pickens to a deal and only have him making $7.5, $11 million and $15 million against the cap in the first 3 years of that deal (what Smith's contract looks like), that's totally fine to do while also paying Aiyuk.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I already mentioned the Dolphins, but Philly is also not really paying their WRs big money either. Smith did just sign that $25 million a year deal, but his cap hit is under $15 million for all of 2024-2027.

I don't understand how these contracts get these yearly cap hits at this point, so you could probably play around with the money to make it work. My comment should be more rephrased to "you shouldn't have 2 WRs making more than $20 million on the cap". Like if you sign Pickens to a deal and only have him making $7.5, $11 million and $15 million against the cap in the first 3 years of that deal (what Smith's contract looks like), that's totally fine to do while also paying Aiyuk.
You have to pay them early Aiyuk is on his 5th year deal making 14 million
Say you give him the DJ Moore extension he has 4 years with cap hits 25 to 28 million you can add void years like Philly did or waddle did but they used the 5th year option
Can do 3 70 like Collins and pittman

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just because teams can do something doesn't mean the Steelers will. You can carry a RB tandem worth north of 10m a year because the Lions do it, but the Steelers don't seem interested. You can carry a safety tandem worth over 25m a year because the Cardinals do it, but the Steelers didn't seem interested in getting a high end running mate for Minkah.

Etc.etc.

So yes, the Steelers could carry two pricy WRs on their roster as a run heavy team because the Eagles do it. But we don't know they will. The 49ers hit this position and were very obviously aiming at a position where one of Aiyuk or Samuel wouldn't be there past this year. The Bengals are very pass heavy and aren't extending Higgins long term.

Its true the Steelers do have a fairly clean cap situation but they've also got a bunch of ways of filling it quick. It's an uncertain situation.

I'd also add that just because other teams do something doesn't mean you should do something, but right now I don't think there's really a good long term strategy for being constantly competitive in the NFL playoffs other than find one of the league's freaks and don't let them leave. I'd add don't do anything stupid to that, but Shanahan has done a lot of stupid things but it still one of those difference making freaks while last year's receiving room in Kansas was pretty stupid and yet they won again anyway. So... just find a freak and do whatever funky stuff you desire around them. *pause* Well, maybe not, as having Watt has only got the Steelers so far. I guess only offensive side of the ball freaks make that difference.

Regarding the Pickens stuff - for me that's a problem to think about after the season. Too many variables right now, especially the QB position and how much money we're going to be allocating to that. Heyward is off the books next year, Muth extension, Najee.

Add TJ Watt's extension to that too. I dunno how things will play out with him being 31 but other than that, the likelihood is he'll be asking to take back being the highest paid Edge Rusher in the league from Bosa.

Reactions: Andy99

Mr Jeff Jimerson

May 9, 2013
How many stories has he broke? And if so why isn't this official?
Why would Andrew ruin all his credibility which is what would happen if the Steelers don't get Aiyuk? He would have to find a new job because nobody would take him serious after this. Aiyuk's a Steeler.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Why would Andrew ruin all his credibility which is what would happen if the Steelers don't get Aiyuk? He would have to find a new job because nobody would take him serious after this. Aiyuk's a Steeler.
Great, so provide a link from a credible source that this deal is done.
I'll wait.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Maybe I’m just not used to NFL trades because the Steelers were never really involved but this whole thing is crazy. The niners are really putting the national media to work for them.
The 49ers lie about this stuff pretty often. They claimed they were being offered 2 second round picks for Trey Lance and were waiting on better offers lol.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The 49ers lie about this stuff pretty often. They claimed they were being offered 2 second round picks for Trey Lance and were waiting on better offers lol.
Yes they have to save face
They were ok with a 30 year old wr coming off acl tear or a 30 year wr they would have to pay similar money to that Aiyuk wanted plus a 2nd

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

Sounds like the insiders are expecting it to be purely draft picks back for Aiyuk. Really curious for what is holding up the deal then.
There main beat writer said it would be picks 3rd in 25 and 2nd in 26 or flipping it the 49ers are trying to save face because they literally overplayed there hand by not sending him to New England at the draft or to us at the draft

Reactions: T1K

Ad

Ad

Ad