OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I dunno what Aiyuk values in life but if I'm him, I'm pretty wary about tying the best years of my career to a rookie QB I've never seen. Not that any of the teams talked about wanting him have attractive QB situations. All teams that want him to carry the QB as much as the QB will carry him.

Which, looking at his stats, I kinda wonder if he's truly that guy.
I watched part of the Aiyuk interview with Ryan Clark on his podcast and he basically asks him this. The two main things I recall him saying were:
1. Taking care of his family (I took that to mean compensation and gaining generational wealth)
and
2. Putting himself in the best situation to be the best football player he can be.

Point 2 is kind of vague but those were my main takeaways from that interview. Jayden Daniels was also there with him lol.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I watched part of the Aiyuk interview with Ryan Clark on his podcast and he basically asks him this. The two main things I recall him saying were:
1. Taking care of his family (I took that to mean compensation and gaining generational wealth)
and
2. Putting himself in the best situation to be the best football player he can be.

Point 2 is kind of vague but those were my main takeaways from that interview. Jayden Daniels was also there with him lol.

I think point 2 can be just as much about a coach as a QB. I really think Aiyuk wants to play for Tomlin and that’s the big reason why he wants to come to the Steelers.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I have said we are probably offering Daniels and a 2nd the 49ers drafted muiltple wr I don’t know why they want a wr back

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I think point 2 can be just as much about a coach as a QB. I really think Aiyuk wants to play for Tomlin and that’s the big reason why he wants to come to the Steelers.
Yeah I tend to agree, we all know there's a huge disparity between how he's viewed locally vs nationally. Tomlin clearly has a good reputation and guys seem to want to play for him.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
He’s known to be a players coach. We get pissed because the winning when it matters hasn’t shown up. But multiple reports have said players want to play for him. I believe Watt even came out and said he doesn’t want to play for anyone else.

To these guys it’s their work environment and I think the environment can outweigh the championship for some. We’ve heard that about how toxic/not fun New England was even though they were winning.

Reactions: T1K

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Christian McCaffrey calls him a former teammate in an interview today.

Reactions: T1K

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Though I want this WR because we will badly miss Diontae Johnson, paying a high price for the privilege of dedicating 10% of our cap to him is not appealing to me.

The league seems to have a sorting mechanism between teams who will give astronomical money to a WR and those who won't. Hard to justify unless you have a cheap QB.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He’s known to be a players coach. We get pissed because the winning when it matters hasn’t shown up. But multiple reports have said players want to play for him. I believe Watt even came out and said he doesn’t want to play for anyone else.

To these guys it’s their work environment and I think the environment can outweigh the championship for some. We’ve heard that about how toxic/not fun New England was even though they were winning.

I think a lot of players think Tomlin gives them a legit chance of winning too tbh. Seems wild to me based on the last few years, but look at Patrick Queen's interviews post-signing and I don't think he's fronting at all about believing in Tomlin.

And tbh I imagine if I was a player exposed to Tomlin's charisma, I'd probably believe in him too.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Though I want this WR because we will badly miss Diontae Johnson, paying a high price for the privilege of dedicating 10% of our cap to him is not appealing to me.

The league seems to have a sorting mechanism between teams who will give astronomical money to a WR and those who won't. Hard to justify unless you have a cheap QB.

Dunno about that. Eagles seem to be doing okay. Miami just promised a lot of money to their QB and top two WRs. I doubt Kupp and Stafford were that cheap. It's not super common but it happens.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I think a lot of players think Tomlin gives them a legit chance of winning too tbh. Seems wild to me based on the last few years, but look at Patrick Queen's interviews post-signing and I don't think he's fronting at all about believing in Tomlin.

And tbh I imagine if I was a player exposed to Tomlin's charisma, I'd probably believe in him too.
Players also just voted Lamar Jackson as the best QB in the NFL so...

• Haha
Reactions: lastcupever75

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I JUST DON'T LIKE HOW THIS AIYUK SAGA IS PLAYING OUT. 6 MONTHS OF THIS STUFF!

whether it happens or not this whole saga is just silly at this point!

Make a f***in decision you filthy pieces of shit!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
There's a lot of irresponsibility here by so called ''insiders''. Their lack of integrity disgusts me! They're getting as bad as Eklund!

If you don't know what's goin on, keep your vile mouth shut!

Their credibility is now coming into question.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Honestly, I'm betting that the Steelers will have this for the next few years. I think the next 2 years at minimum will be one of Wilson or Fields.

It's definitely hype based on meaningless practices, but I kinda really want to see this offense with Aiyuk, Pickens, Harris, Freiermuth and Fields.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Wake me up when it's over.

You probably don't want to sleep that long!
There's a lot of irresponsibility here by so called ''insiders''. Their lack of integrity disgusts me! They're getting as bad as Eklund!

If you don't know what's goin on, keep your vile mouth shut!

Their credibility is now coming into question.
”Irresponsible” and “don’t know what’s goin on” is how modern journalism works. It’s a system we’ve asked for with our clicks.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honestly, I'm betting that the Steelers will have this for the next few years. I think the next 2 years at minimum will be one of Wilson or Fields.

It's definitely hype based on meaningless practices, but I kinda really want to see this offense with Aiyuk, Pickens, Harris, Freiermuth and Fields.

When we're thinking cheap how cheap are we thinking because, thinking about it, I think whoever of Wilson/Fields does well enough to get resigned as QB1 is looking at Baker Mayfield money. I think the only way that doesn't happen is if Wilson is the starter all of this coming season but he doesn't get the job and they give it to Fields without him having played enough to make a case for money.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
When we're thinking cheap how cheap are we thinking because, thinking about it, I think whoever of Wilson/Fields does well enough to get resigned as QB1 is looking at Baker Mayfield money. I think the only way that doesn't happen is if Wilson is the starter all of this coming season but he doesn't get the job and they give it to Fields without him having played enough to make a case for money.

Even $30 million for a QB is cheap at this point with how QB contracts are exploding. It's pretty much half of what the top QBs are getting paid now.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
No way does JF even ask for baker money. Baker had to play an entire season at 4 million in Tampa before he got paid. He would be lucky to get the 10 million darnold got in Minnesota
If its RW i don’t think they go more than 3/75 that Smith got in Seattle let someone else pay him money

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad