OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Sneaking up onto training camp

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Hard trade to make. You can’t give up a ton because you have to pay him, but you have to give up something good to make it worth the 49ers not just keeping him one more year (and potentially working something out when the dust settles in 2025).

Reactions: Andy99

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
This reads to me that the Steelers are super high on Pickens or else they would have included him.

I feel like a package of Pickens and Daniels would have gotten that done.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
This reads to me that the Steelers are super high on Pickens or else they would have included him.

I feel like a package of Pickens and Daniels would have gotten that done.
They don’t have WR that makes sense to include from a value standpoint.

Pickens is probably worth more than Aiyuk on his own IMO

Diontae + pick would’ve been sensible

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
They have ca3 whose younger and has more upside then bourne in New England I highly doubt they would move him though
New England pick will be higher than both Cleveland and Pittsburgh so the I don’t think Cleveland actually put a 2nd on the table plus cooper

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
If Calvin Austin is what it took to get Aiyuk to Pittsburgh they’d be morons not to trade him.

As long as Aiyuk doesn’t want to play for the Browns or Patriots, I don’t necessarily think the Steelers are “out”. One side just needs to blink since it seems like Pittsburgh is the team Aiyuk wants to go to.

Reactions: wheelz87 and Andy99

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
They don’t have WR that makes sense to include from a value standpoint.

Pickens is probably worth more than Aiyuk on his own IMO

Diontae + pick would’ve been sensible
Yeah it's kind of funny to think that had we kept Diontae, maybe this deal is already done.

They have ca3 whose younger and has more upside then bourne in New England I highly doubt they would move him though
New England pick will be higher than both Cleveland and Pittsburgh so the I don’t think Cleveland actually put a 2nd on the table plus cooper
CA3 hasn't proven a single thing in the league and I doubt he has even retained his original draft value (4th round pick) in the eyes of other teams in the league. Whereas Bourne was drafted by San Francisco, so I'm sure they know exactly what kind of player he is.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Yeah it's kind of funny to think that had we kept Diontae, maybe this deal is already done.

CA3 hasn't proven a single thing in the league and I doubt he has even retained his original draft value (4th round pick) in the eyes of other teams in the league. Whereas Bourne was drafted by San Francisco, so I'm sure they know exactly what kind of player he is.
Bourne is turning 30 and has 1 800 yard season he is an older version of Van Jefferson

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
What I'm wondering is if the sense that SF is holding all the cards is exactly the opposite. That Aiyuk has them a but over a barrel and their appearing to play hardball is actually them trying to cover some distress.

Yeah this is a weird one. SF probably still has the upper hand but the fact that they’re now publicly looking to trade him means there’s enough concern on their side that things will get ugly if they make him play on the option.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What I'm wondering is if the sense that SF is holding all the cards is exactly the opposite. That Aiyuk has them a but over a barrel and their appearing to play hardball is actually them trying to cover some distress.

The only way Aiyuk has them over a barrel is if he has them convinced he won't play on a franchise tag tho, and that's a rare thing.

Yeah this is a weird one. SF probably still has the upper hand but the fact that they’re now publicly looking to trade him means there’s enough concern on their side that things will get ugly if they make him play on the option.

This news isn't necessarily coming from SF. All the publicity might be coming from Aiyuk's agents trying to get a better offer. That's only a might but it's possible.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The only way Aiyuk has them over a barrel is if he has them convinced he won't play on a franchise tag tho, and that's a rare thing.

This news isn't necessarily coming from SF. All the publicity might be coming from Aiyuk's agents trying to get a better offer. That's only a might but it's possible.
If they were going to franchise tag him 2 times at nearly 60 million fully guaranteed they would hand him 30 million a year

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
In actual Steelers football news, seems like Russ has increased his participation level and is getting some 7 shots and team reps.

Also, Fautanu working 1st team RT and Broderick/Moore splitting LT duties

Reactions: Factorial

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He is already on the 5th year making 14 million he was drafted in 2020

Right, exactly, which means Aiyuk's only leverage for this upcoming season is "I'll sit it out rather than play on that tag".

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Right, exactly, which means Aiyuk's only leverage for this upcoming season is "I'll sit it out rather than play on that tag".
The tag in 25 for wr is over 24 million they are offering him 26 million aav. If they tag him again in 26 its an additional percentage plus they have to pay Debo

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

This article is from the org

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

This article is from the org

Yeah, fair point (although technically that could have come from somewhere else). But it did come out all the other stuff tho. It's not like the 49ers have initiated this.

Which means... are the 49ers in a jam if Aiyuk doesn't agree terms with the Pats or Browns, or not? I don't know that the 49ers giving a semi-formal update on the situation after tons of rumours means they feel stressed. They're stressed enough to go further on trade talks than they had previously but does that mean they're going to lower the price if Aiyuk can't agree a deal? I dunno.

It does seem possible to me that Aiyuk's side is more agitated here.

In other news, sounds like Fautanu is biting off more and more of the 1st team work.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia

pacino_back in gif.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad