OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Oh no! They are 3 and 1. Panic!

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Having a competent QB who can read defenses and distribute the ball quicker more accurate is what is needed. The tuck and run is a fail safe built in you'll never get rid of. JF is a low IQ QB.
If Wilson is healthy he starts next week. This was Fields chance and he was very unremarkable. This game had a weird feel and it was just a shit show.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Penguins, Steelers, and Pirates are all ass.

Consistency baby.

I don't understand this hate for Fields right now. This play calling is absolute shit and it's like Matt Canada all over again. Calling the dumbest f***ing plays, run to set up the pass, barely pass, when they do pass it works but then back to the run. Another primadonna wide out that feels he's bigger than the f***ing game and half asses it on plays he could have made and would normally.

Then the defense play calling was like anything you can do dumb we can do dumber.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Penguins, Steelers, and Pirates are all ass.

Consistency baby.

I don't understand this hate for Fields right now. This play calling is absolute shit and it's like Matt Canada all over again. Calling the dumbest f***ing plays, run to set up the pass, barely pass, when they do pass it works but then back to the run. Another primadonna wide out that feels he's bigger than the f***ing game and half asses it on plays he could have made and would normally.

Then the defense play calling was like anything you can do dumb we can do dumber.
Fields had 2 completions of 20 yards one was a screen to Najee he threw for 131 yards on 27 attempts

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
18.4 ppg with a qb who is in every way more talented than their qb from last year.

They were less predictable about running at stacked boxes last night. I liked the shovel option play on the 2nd td. I liked them starting to use Najee in the passing game. They even used Fields' legs so it was harder to justify commiting to stop the inside run.

But understanding the talents of your players and utilizing them properly should be figured out before week 5. And this playing not to lose in the first half shit has got to go. It has lost them these last 2 games.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
18.4 ppg with a qb who is in every way more talented than their qb from last year.

They were less predictable about running at stacked boxes last night. I liked the shovel option play on the 2nd td. I liked them starting to use Najee in the passing game. They even used Fields' legs so it was harder to justify commiting to stop the inside run.

But understanding the talents of your players and utilizing them properly should be figured out before week 5. And this playing not to lose in the first half shit has got to go. It has lost them these last 2 games.
Is fields really that much more talented than Pickett

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Jeff Jimerson

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I fell asleep. What I saw was the same. I'm so glad they didn't re-sign Najee. This team needs Little Dan to step up, and everyone needs to get the f*** out of his way.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Love the Steelers as much as anyone but why are people shocked? This start to the year exemplifies Mike Tomlin and his organizational structure for as long as he's been the leader.

And yeah massively disappointedin Najee. I watched him destroy OSU and I feel like he has no vision. The OL isn't the greatest, but there are solid cuts to be made and his vision just doesn't take him there in the pros.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It's hilarious to me that not even like 3 weeks ago someone on here was still arguing that Tomlinball was a viable way to win. Play defense, control the ball, don't turn the ball over. IT DOESN'T WORK IN THE MODERN NFL. You need to score points. It's great they have a defense that can hold teams to 10 points sometimes. It's not a consistent strategy that is going to work, especially against good teams.

This game was a big step back for Fields IMO. Missed wide open Heyward for a big splash play, had Washington covered by a guy like a foot shorter than him and threw him a bullet, there were a couple other throws too I'm not even sure what he was going for but seemed like he was trying to show off his arm more than anything. I dunno. Part of me wants to see Russ in just to see if the offense is this bad or it's Fields. The other part says just keep rolling with Fields because I don't think they are good enough anyway, so might as well get as much of a look at Fields as you can.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I think the odds on Justin Fields being a good NFL QB are still rather low, but the idea that he's the problem with this offense is confirmation bias for those who don't like him or who were Pickett fanboys or whatever. They have no receivers who can get open. The only decent WR they have is Pickens and he has a few games a year where he acts like a petulant bitch and checks out and last night was one of them. The OL might end up being good down the line, but between being young and injured, it's not very good right now. Harris a JAG at best at RB. The coaching staff is just unimaginative and conservative and limited. At least Fields' mobility allows them to do some things - putting Wilson in this lineup surrounded by these players and coaches is going to look like October 2023 Denver.

Fields had 2 completions of 20 yards one was a screen to Najee he threw for 131 yards on 27 attempts
And a huge reason for that is that the WR room that you defend day in and day out is utter garbage and no one gets open.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's hilarious to me that not even like 3 weeks ago someone on here was still arguing that Tomlinball was a viable way to win. Play defense, control the ball, don't turn the ball over. IT DOESN'T WORK IN THE MODERN NFL. You need to score points. It's great they have a defense that can hold teams to 10 points sometimes. It's not a consistent strategy that is going to work, especially against good teams.

This game was a big step back for Fields IMO. Missed wide open Heyward for a big splash play, had Washington covered by a guy like a foot shorter than him and threw him a bullet, there were a couple other throws too I'm not even sure what he was going for but seemed like he was trying to show off his arm more than anything. I dunno. Part of me wants to see Russ in just to see if the offense is this bad or it's Fields. The other part says just keep rolling with Fields because I don't think they are good enough anyway, so might as well get as much of a look at Fields as you can.

Yeah I don't know who was saying that because it's not hard to look back and see that CLEARLY is not the answer lol!

I mean realistically watching the Steelers trying to win games with RPOs like it's college football... I just can't imagine that being something that wins games over time.

Reactions: End of Line

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I think the odds on Justin Fields being a good NFL QB are still rather low, but the idea that he's the problem with this offense is confirmation bias for those who don't like him or who were Pickett fanboys or whatever. They have no receivers who can get open. The only decent WR they have is Pickens and he has a few games a year where he acts like a petulant bitch and checks out and last night was one of them. The OL might end up being good down the line, but between being young and injured, it's not very good right now. Harris a JAG at best at RB. The coaching staff is just unimaginative and conservative and limited. At least Fields' mobility allows them to do some things - putting Wilson in this lineup surrounded by these players and coaches is going to look like October 2023 Denver.

Ahhh so everyone who thinks Fields isn't good is or must be a Pickett fan Boi? You have to be one or the other, Woe I didn't know that.

Boy the intelligence is radiating off of you.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Disappointing game plan on what still turned into a very winnable game. The biggest issue seems to be the predictability of the offensive play calling. It once again seems like defenses know exactly which play we are about to do, or at least narrow it down to a run or pass with 90% success rate. Fields shouldn’t end up with the most rushing yards just as Najee shouldn’t end up with the most receiving yards. Fields needs the RPO on the table instead of a designed run-only or pass-only play from him. Not an especially good game from Fields, but his limited options were often poorly executed by everyone else.

Defensively, I don’t quite know what has gone off the rails the last 2 weeks but it often looks like they have 10 men on the field. Add to that it comes across like each player has an assigned spot on the field in a zone defense and the other team cracks that code by the 3rd play of the game.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Disappointing game plan on what still turned into a very winnable game. The biggest issue seems to be the predictability of the offensive play calling. It once again seems like defenses know exactly which play we are about to do, or at least narrow it down to a run or pass with 90% success rate. Fields shouldn’t end up with the most rushing yards just as Najee shouldn’t end up with the most receiving yards. Fields needs the RPO on the table instead of a designed run-only or pass-only play from him. Not an especially good game from Fields, but his limited options were often poorly executed by everyone else.

Defensively, I don’t quite know what has gone off the rails the last 2 weeks but it often looks like they have 10 men on the field. Add to that it comes across like each player has an assigned spot on the field in a zone defense and the other team cracks that code by the 3rd play of the game.
It's a pressure-based defense. Once Herbig went out Dallas doubled Watt every pass set and no one else got anywhere near the QB. The run defense is going to be an issue, as Patrick Queen sucks and Roberts is too limited in coverage to play every down.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah I don't know who was saying that because it's not hard to look back and see that CLEARLY is not the answer lol!

I mean realistically watching the Steelers trying to win games with RPOs like it's college football... I just can't imagine that being something that wins games over time.
I won't go back to find who it was because a) I don't want to embarrass them and b) I don't care that much :laugh: But I assure you that a Pittsburgh Steeler fan in 2024 was arguing with me about it.

Reactions: ColePens

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
It's a pressure-based defense. Once Herbig went out Dallas doubled Watt every pass set and no one else got anywhere near the QB. The run defense is going to be an issue, as Patrick Queen sucks and Roberts is too limited in coverage to play every down.
Perhaps, but there were still issues before Herbig went down. And sending Watt & Herbig every play isn’t a sustainable strategy either. For one they will literally just tire out and have to either rest on the bench or just play the downs especially winded (and ineffective). And teams will key in on that and dump it off into the flats. I’m very disappointed by how much success teams have with flats/screens that should maybe go for 3-5 yards end up netting 8-9.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Perhaps, but there were still issues before Herbig went down. And sending Watt & Herbig every play isn’t a sustainable strategy either. For one they will literally just tire out and have to either rest on the bench or just play the downs especially winded (and ineffective). And teams will key in on that and dump it off into the flats. I’m very disappointed by how much success teams have with flats/screens that should maybe go for 3-5 yards end up netting 8-9.
Oh, I'm not disagreeing. It's a one-trick pony defense that is heavily reliant upon Watt/Highsmith/Herbig getting pressure. They almost never blitz despite having major coverage liabilities in the slot, and their off-ball LB's are all a liability - hopefully Wilson develops into something but Roberts is too slow and Queen is just a mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad