OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Oh no! They are 3 and 1. Panic!

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I know the blocking is crap, but man Najee is just so slow and cannot make an NFL level cut to save his life.
The best news we play a bottom tier rushing defense every week in October I think they will throw to get the lead and then run just by the way Arthur Smith has been talking seems like they are ready to let Fields take the next step in development

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
The best news we play a bottom tier rushing defense every week in October I think they will throw to get the lead and then run just by the way Arthur Smith has been talking seems like they are ready to let Fields take the next step in development
I don't have a problem with Najee late closing games. He runs hard, doesn't fumble, and no one in the fourth wants to tackle him. It is getting to that point that I have a problem with him. I am tired of all the early downs wasted running him into the line. They know it is coming and our blocking and Harris are not good enough to do anything when they know it is coming.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

If they do that I will probably double the number of nice things I've ever said about this team in a couple of weeks

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
You think I'm watching THAT again?
I'd rather do this....
200w.gif

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The reasoning why Najee doesn't get the same blocking is because he's predictable. He's not a good RB in terms of having feel for the position (a la Leveon). He's a good player who really takes good care of the ball, he's a good locker room guy, he could carry the load in a pinch, but I just don't see a starting RB there for an extended period of time. Really good #2 like Brandon Jacobs was.

Najee just does not have good vision, which is the long and short of it

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The reasoning why Najee doesn't get the same blocking is because he's predictable. He's not a good RB in terms of having feel for the position (a la Leveon). He's a good player who really takes good care of the ball, he's a good locker room guy, he could carry the load in a pinch, but I just don't see a starting RB there for an extended period of time. Really good #2 like Brandon Jacobs was.

Najee just does not have good vision, which is the long and short of it

Uhm. How is Harris' predictability the reason teams consistently show up with crowded boxes and blitzing LBs/DBs rather than the playcalling?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think we’ll do our due diligence on Adams but will ultimately offer less than some other team. I think Khan has demonstrated he won’t overpay for someone he wants.
Khan also started the season with Van Jefferson as our # 2 WR.

Maybe he needs to overpay?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Uhm. How is Harris' predictability the reason teams consistently show up with crowded boxes and blitzing LBs/DBs rather than the playcalling?

Because they know he's limited in terms of his skills. He's not going to bounce it outside, and if he does, he's toast. As along as they get to the line, he's done. He's not going to make anyone miss and he's not going to run away.

It's a different coordinator now, a different offense, and he still has to run into packed lines. At some point it's him. Beside those games at the end of last year, the guy is not a starting RB. We shouldn't be looking at Patterson and Warren and wondering why they don't get more carries.

They didn't re-sign him for a reason Peat. He's not good.

EDIT: AND he has a drastically better line 🤷

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm just at the end of my rope with Najee. I staunchly defend him but some of the decisions he makes with the ball in his hands, at this point they should not be happening. He cannot manufacture runs for himself. He misses clear opportunities to go N-S all of the time in favor of trying to run like he's a 5'10 200 pound back. He is a dude you put behind an Alvin Kamara or someone like that.

I like Najee alot. I understand why they drafted him. But I just don't think he's the dude. I think he plays entirely too heavy. He doesn't have great feet, elusiveness, or feel for the position, and making him run behind the offensive lines and the offensive schemes he has had to run behind has been discourageable.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I'm just at the end of my rope with Najee. I staunchly defend him but some of the decisions he makes with the ball in his hands, at this point they should not be happening. He cannot manufacture runs for himself. He misses clear opportunities to go N-S all of the time in favor of trying to run like he's a 5'10 200 pound back. He is a dude you put behind an Alvin Kamara or someone like that.

I like Najee alot. I understand why they drafted him. But I just don't think he's the dude. I think he plays entirely too heavy. He doesn't have great feet, elusiveness, or feel for the position, and making him run behind the offensive lines and the offensive schemes he has had to run behind has been discourageable.
I am at the point where I don't even care whether it is Harris or the line or the play calls. Running him into the backs of the linemen on early downs is hamstringing the offense. It needs to stop no matter what is to blame for the lack of success.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I am at the point where I don't even care whether it is Harris or the line or the play calls. Running him into the backs of the linemen on early downs is hamstringing the offense. It needs to stop no matter what is to blame for the lack of success.

A-freaking-men. When Najee touches the ball, bad things happen. 2nd and 9 is a bad thing. Going from 2nd and 10 to 3rd and 8 is a bad thing. We aren't good enough to waste downs justifying a failed 1st rounder.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
A-freaking-men. When Najee touches the ball, bad things happen. 2nd and 9 is a bad thing. Going from 2nd and 10 to 3rd and 8 is a bad thing. We aren't good enough to waste downs justifying a failed 1st rounder.
Isn’t Fields also a failed 1st round pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad