OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
What good does the speculation and stating the obvious flaws in Field's game to this point do? So you can say "I told you so'? Well, duh.

Wait isn’t this is the only reason to post on message boards? Being right on the internet >>>>>> hoping the team I root for succeeds..

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I don't think any moves that we could have made between last year and this year would have made the Steelers likely Superbowl contenders.

The moves made were the best combination realistically possible. That they do have a chance at all, no matter how minor, after these moves is a minor miracle given what a mess this team was.
Agreed, and I think this is hard for some fans to accept, so I won't blame anyone for thinking this is all futile against a Mahomes led team. But it's hard to argue this team hasn't been improved since the end of last year.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Wait isn’t this is the only reason to post on message boards? Being right on the internet >>>>>> hoping the team I root for succeeds..

If we're going this route, then I will be indeed be sharing my opinion on the place for sharing my opinions that I feel like the chances of success would be higher for different moves. I'd rather talk honestly about where they are then jump on the hope train just because its the Steelers hope train, even if I can't see a damn engine.

And the funny thing is if they really are right to be as high on Wilson as they publicly are then they do have a potentially really good one year window here... but it's one that probably can't happen because the WR and OL rooms are big gambles on young players improving far quicker than anyone has a right to expect. They're probably right to not gamble big in FA on this year but at the same time, why aren't they backing themselves?

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
If we're going this route, then I will be indeed be sharing my opinion on the place for sharing my opinions that I feel like the chances of success would be higher for different moves. I'd rather talk honestly about where they are then jump on the hope train just because its the Steelers hope train, even if I can't see a damn engine.

And the funny thing is if they really are right to be as high on Wilson as they publicly are then they do have a potentially really good one year window here... but it's one that probably can't happen because the WR and OL rooms are big gambles on young players improving far quicker than anyone has a right to expect. They're probably right to not gamble big in FA on this year but at the same time, why aren't they backing themselves?
Just a guess, but from what I can see the Steelers COULD be very good. But a whole lot would need to go right for it to happen. I could pull a royal flush in a poker game. Not very likely though, is it?

This is a rebuilding year most likely. With the chance of being more. But to go back to the poker game if you are throwing in two cards hoping to pull that great hand you bet moderately as the chances aren't great.

Khan/Weidl are doing exactly what I would. Hell, better than I would.

It may not work. Probably won't. But without the gift of foresight I respect the hell out of the job that they are doing.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

At WR, I think they’re absolutely trying to but can’t get anyone to play ball. Almost every rumor I’ve heard about them at the WR position involves relatively big names. It might end up being a miscalculation by Khan if he can’t end up landing one, but I don’t think it’ll be because he looked at the room and said “Nah we’re good here.”

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
More an unwillingness to overpay I think.

Same with the Harris gamble.

This team has to take chances. They seriously had that many issues the past couple of years. But the Khan/Weidl team obviously has values. And are willing to walk away if the values don't make sense to them.

Reminds me of Philly and other well run teams. It may end up biting them slightly this year. Or not. But in the long run will lead to success.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just a guess, but from what I can see the Steelers COULD be very good. But a whole lot would need to go right for it to happen. I could pull a royal flush in a poker game. Not very likely though, is it?

This is a rebuilding year most likely. With the chance of being more. But to go back to the poker game if you are throwing in two cards hoping to pull that great hand you bet moderately as the chances aren't great.

Khan/Weidl are doing exactly what I would. Hell, better than I would.

It may not work. Probably won't. But without the gift of foresight I respect the hell out of the job that they are doing.

I can get behind a lot of this but if we're talking about this being a rebuilding side, then young guns need someone to lead them and I have a lot of questions about the coaching staff's ability to rebuild an offence from young parts. Tomlin has just failed spectacularly at that, Smith just proved a lot less adept at that rebuild in Atlanta than he was at working with experienced parts in Tennessee, and Meyer is a make or break position coach whose work to date hasn't looked outstanding. Wouldn't hurt to have more natural proven leaders on the pitch either.

At WR, I think they’re absolutely trying to but can’t get anyone to play ball. Almost every rumor I’ve heard about them at the WR position involves relatively big names. It might end up being a miscalculation by Khan if he can’t end up landing one, but I don’t think it’ll be because he looked at the room and said “Nah we’re good here.”

Leaving aside my now rampant cynicism about the Steelers and rumours after this off-season -

The difference between "I like the room" and "I don't like the room but I dislike the prices to change it more" is ultimately academic. And in the long run, he's possibly right. Maybe he'd be pissing away assets when they can't make a difference until hoarding them until they can (or maybe he's giving up an opportunity to influence Pickens' development positively which could be v expensive). Short run though, short run feels different. And the Steelers are talking about the short run.

I also think that looking at the NFL's history says the window to do anything before the season has mostly gone. Maybe he can make a difference in season if needed.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
But to another discussion:

This Lawrence contract is downright ludicrous. He's being paid $55 million a year despite having a 20-30 record and extremely mediocre passing stats over his career. Even if you just take out the Urban Meyer year, his numbers still aren't that good.

Trevor Lawrence is now the highest paid QB in the NFL, and I don't even know that I'd say he's a top-10 QB at this point.

Revisiting this as I saw an article going over this -

It is only the 10th highest salary in terms of cap percentage when signed and it is very backloaded, being only effectively 40m a year until 2029 which is when the Jags can cut bait if they wish. Lawrence is only getting the 70m+ a year seasons at the end of it if he performs according to expectations.

Which feels fair.

It also pointed out that despite a slew of injuries, he was 3rd in adjusted EPA i.e. he can be expected to be a lot better with fitness and a better supporting cast.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I can get behind a lot of this but if we're talking about this being a rebuilding side, then young guns need someone to lead them and I have a lot of questions about the coaching staff's ability to rebuild an offence from young parts. Tomlin has just failed spectacularly at that, Smith just proved a lot less adept at that rebuild in Atlanta than he was at working with experienced parts in Tennessee, and Meyer is a make or break position coach whose work to date hasn't looked outstanding. Wouldn't hurt to have more natural proven leaders on the pitch either.

Leaving aside my now rampant cynicism about the Steelers and rumours after this off-season -

The difference between "I like the room" and "I don't like the room but I dislike the prices to change it more" is ultimately academic. And in the long run, he's possibly right. Maybe he'd be pissing away assets when they can't make a difference until hoarding them until they can (or maybe he's giving up an opportunity to influence Pickens' development positively which could be v expensive). Short run though, short run feels different. And the Steelers are talking about the short run.

I also think that looking at the NFL's history says the window to do anything before the season has mostly gone. Maybe he can make a difference in season if needed.
If we are talking coaching issues, I am in agreement. Tomlin has lost every benefit of the doubt. They need to prove competence before I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Well there you go.

It is settled. Fields will be great.

• Haha
Reactions: Night Shift

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If we are talking coaching issues, I am in agreement. Tomlin has lost every benefit of the doubt. They need to prove competence before I believe.

Yeah.

I think my big problem with the Steelers off-season is I wanted them to either show they believed in their offensive building blocks, and that it was just Canada and a lack of support, or to show that they didn't and burn it to the ground (including a lot of the coaches) and start again with a more modern outlook.

Right now they're caught between the two and I find it hard to believe it's going to get them to where they want to be any time soon.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
From 2017 Kyle has 3 seasons with 6 or less wins and missed the playoffs they have missed on a ton of high draft picks

as peat said, he got hired off a 2-14 season.

not everyone is as lucky as mikey inheriting a SB champion roster.
three's mike and barry (switzer). probably equal in coaching talent :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean, I'd agree that Shanahan's record shows that luck plays a big part and that even the best make mistakes and can only do so much to elevate those around them...

... but Tomlin is a lot further away from winning and so far has brought nothing but mistakes to the regeneration of the offensive core. Very different boat.

In other news, Trenton Thompson has been waived.

Reactions: Andy99

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

Well there you go.

It is settled. Fields will be great.

I thought it was only June :laugh:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah this reply to the initial tweet sums it up:

I had the same thought when watching it.

As I said, right or wrong.

Fits the narrative of those who hate Fields.

But small sample size.

Good chance that the haters turn out to be right. But we have no choice anyways, we have Wilson and Fields. So, let's let it play out and hope that he can and will learn to take it to another level.

As I said earlier in the thread, saying I told you so in June is silly. Hell, saying I told you so anytime is silly. No one thinks that Fields is flawed or anything but a lottery ticket.

But saying so is especially silly if you are carting around as much baggage and bitterness as Bell is.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think Bell has any track record with comments on Fields that makes him saying this a tell you so.

And the list of people who've done so wrong they shouldn't be giving their honest opinion on whether something looks good or not is very small. Particularly when it applies to something ultimately so trivial.

And beyond that, I'd rather read people giving their opinions of what something looks like than a bunch of defensiveness about why we should pay no attention to them.

Believe RouteGod and Bell has the wrong end of the stick but I just don't cotton to the idea nobody should touch the stick at all.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The comment was aimed at Bell.

We hear very little from him and this is the tweet we get?

It does not sound filled with bitterness to you?

If he posted on the Steelers all the time, good and bad, sure. I am being unfair.

But that's not the case, is it?

Just like AB and a number of others he made that bed. Now he is bitter toward the Steelers. He needs to look in the mirror.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The comment was aimed at Bell.

We hear very little from him and this is the tweet we get?

It does not sound filled with bitterness to you?

If he posted on the Steelers all the time, good and bad, sure. I am being unfair.

But that's not the case, is it?

Just like AB and a number of others he made that bed. Now he is bitter toward the Steelers. He needs to look in the mirror.

No, it doesn't sound filled with bitterness, and I can't say Bell's relative quietness regarding the team strikes me as the action of a bitter man either. Not when the last thing I remember about Bell and the Steelers was him saying he'd come out of retirement to play for them and there's been an absolute buffet of possible chances to case shade at the Steelers if one wishes. I mean, who'd opt for the back-up QB doing football in shorts if they really wanted to cast a snook at the team?

Last I heard he accepted he'd made a mistake leaving the Steelers too fwiw.

But even if he was openly bitter as hell and always ragging on the team, I'd still strongly believe in treating his criticisms on the strength of whether they made sense rather than the person who made them.

In this case, he's making a comment that's made by about 19 of the first 20 replies to the tweet. It's a very obvious criticism and honestly, even hearing Fields was working on his progressions doesn't entirely excuse it because some of those waits/out of bounds just look late regardless.

edit: Since I'm easily bored and endlessly curious, I went over Bell's socials for the last 10 days. He celebrates Tomlin's extension calling him the "best in the world" and says they should get Mike Tomlin Jr (Aiyuk). Reposts a couple of gifs of him playing for the Steelers. It doesn't exactly look like bitterness to me.

Last edited:

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I think Leveon still f***s with the Steelers, although trying to draw conclusions from an edited offseason workout video is probably foolish on his part.

He fought last month, FWIW - check out the trunks.

1718861000440.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad