OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
49ers might not want him around as a “distraction” I don’t think he’s going about everything the right way though and I think the 49ers extending everyone else around him and using a 1st round pick on a receiver this past draft is very telling. Not to mention they’ll have to give Brock Purdy an extension here soon. I think the writing Is on the wall for him leaving if not this offseason definitely next offseason.

Maninthebox87

Dec 5, 2014
PA
To speculate however I think the draft was the best time to get a guy like Aiyuk… I think there was something brewing there especially with the Highsmith restructure the day before the draft.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Aiyuk hasn't been present for any of San Fran's mandatory offseason program and has accrued over 6 figures in fines that can't be forgiven. Now he's vlogging his frustrations with the organization. While I still think the most likely outcome is him being a 49er this upcoming season, there's always the possibility that the relationship deteriorates and he becomes more hassle than he's worth, similar to our Diontae situation. Granted, he's much better than DJ and they have true SB aspirations, so I think their tolerance is significantly higher than ours was.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Covid really messed up college level sports I remember watching March madness and seeing 25 year olds on some of the teams.

Seth Towns was in the same recruiting class as Jayson Tatum lol

1718658629144.png

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I have my concerns with Wilson at this point, but I don’t think there’s a better guy for Fields to learn from. Wilson’s play style is what Fields needs to try to emulate. And for as corny as he is, I think Wilson will absolutely be willing to take Fields under his wing.

And people can say what they want, Russ knows football. And I think the really unique thing would be if they both thought about the QB position the same way and that is a knowledge transfer that can happen, because both at their best play very similar. Russ has been at the top of the mountain and this is a perfect situation for Fields. Much like with Kenny, I believe in Fields because he won't fail because of a lack of effort. As I have said before, if this goes to shit, he's going to need to find a new position.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
And people can say what they want, Russ knows football. And I think the really unique thing would be if they both thought about the QB position the same way and that is a knowledge transfer that can happen, because both at their best play very similar. Russ has been at the top of the mountain and this is a perfect situation for Fields. Much like with Kenny, I believe in Fields because he won't fail because of a lack of effort. As I have said before, if this goes to shit, he's going to need to find a new position.

Does he? Fields can probably be a back-up QB in this league for the next ten years, making multiple millions a season. I don't know how much experience he has in other positions but things would have to go real well for him in another position to do as well.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The 49ers are trying to win the Super Bowl right now, the difference in value between a 2nd next year or a 3rd in 2 years is completely meaningless to them.

Not to mention they could just tag and trade like Kansas did with Sneed if they want their pick sooner.

On WRs the team does actually have, it's interesting to see the buzz about Austin and the mild concern about Wilson. I don't know whether Austin will carry it as fast and non-physical is exactly the sort of player I expect to shine now but fade out as things get more serious, and a rookie maybe taking a while to catch on is nothing new, but its interesting anyway.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
The same coach who didn’t scout maholmes because he thought he was going to sign cousins in FA. The same coach who traded 3,1sts for lance. The same guy who couldn’t win anything without Jimmy G and has blown 2 sb

the way you and the other nuthuggers feel about tomlin, imagine that resume the last 5 years. losing the SB to one of the best ever QBs twice

you've learned a lot from the idiots on the scout board

Reactions: Night Shift

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
the way you and the other nuthuggers feel about tomlin, imagine that resume the last 5 years. losing the SB to one of the best ever QBs twice

you've learned a lot from the idiots on the scout board
From 2017 Kyle has 3 seasons with 6 or less wins and missed the playoffs they have missed on a ton of high draft picks

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
From 2017 Kyle has 3 seasons with 6 or less wins and missed the playoffs they have missed on a ton of high draft picks

That seems a rather disingenuous stat when 2 of those seasons came directly after taking over a 2 win team.

I'm not exactly sure by which measurement he's missed out on a ton of high draft picks either. His three top 10 picks re McGlinchey, Bosa, and Lance. 2/3 isn't missing a ton.

Honestly I don't understand this one. It's very self-evident that Shanahan gets a ton out of his players offensively. What's the point of dragging the fact he's merely incredibly good and not perfect?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
That seems a rather disingenuous stat when 2 of those seasons came directly after taking over a 2 win team.

I'm not exactly sure by which measurement he's missed out on a ton of high draft picks either. His three top 10 picks re McGlinchey, Bosa, and Lance. 2/3 isn't missing a ton.

Honestly I don't understand this one. It's very self-evident that Shanahan gets a ton out of his players offensively. What's the point of dragging the fact he's merely incredibly good and not perfect?
He gave up 3 1sts for lance

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Did I just walk into a Tomlin is better than Shanahan because he won athe Superbowl 15 years ago?

The one Tomlin came close to blowing with a stacked team and was heavily favored ?
I didn’t say Tomlin was better i al saying just like Bill the gl in New England got Bill the coach fired. A argument could be made that Shanahan and Lynch should have been fired

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I didn’t say Tomlin was better i al saying just like Bill the gl in New England got Bill the coach fired. A argument could be made that Shanahan and Lynch should have been fired

An argument that the management team that have taken their team to the conference final or further in four of the last five years should be fired.

If that's the standard, there's perhaps six teams that shouldn't fire their GM and HC tomorrow.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Does he? Fields can probably be a back-up QB in this league for the next ten years, making multiple millions a season. I don't know how much experience he has in other positions but things would have to go real well for him in another position to do as well.

Honestly I'm not sure about that. Teams usually like their backup QBs to be safe and play simple football, but that's not exactly Fields.

Honestly, Fields' long-term future may be a practice QB to prepare defenses for the new Lamar types of QBs in the NFL, if he can't pan out as a starter.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honestly I'm not sure about that. Teams usually like their backup QBs to be safe and play simple football, but that's not exactly Fields.

Honestly, Fields' long-term future may be a practice QB to prepare defenses for the new Lamar types of QBs in the NFL, if he can't pan out as a starter.

That's a good point but my counterpoint would be that Mitch Trubisky has a back-up job in this league.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
An argument that the management team that have taken their team to the conference final or further in four of the last five years should be fired.

If that's the standard, there's perhaps six teams that shouldn't fire their GM and HC tomorrow.
It shows how much luck is involved in winning

That's a good point but my counterpoint would be that Mitch Trubisky has a back-up job in this league.
Mitch has more success than Fields in the nfl

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I realize that it is the off-season, and therefore speculating about things that are set in stone and that there is no way to change is what we do. But I would not have wanted the draft to go any other way than how it did. Wilson and Fields were by far the best options out there and we can just hope for the best.

Are the chances against the younger version who could have a future panning out? Sure, we all know that. It might be a one in four chance of it working, but that ain't bad.

But there is a chance, and having Wilson take Fields under his wing increases that chance.

In the end, it cost nothing. So, all any of us can do is cross our fingers and hope that the unlikely happens. I would think that we all are in that same boat with the same hopes.

What good does the speculation and stating the obvious flaws in Field's game to this point do? So you can say "I told you so'? Well, duh.

If he falls flat on his face and fails who are you telling that to? I don't see anyone saying that he is anything other than a roll of the dice.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I realize that it is the off-season, and therefore speculating about things that are set in stone and that there is no way to change is what we do. But I would not have wanted the draft to go any other way than how it did. Wilson and Fields were by far the best options out there and we can just hope for the best.

Are the chances against the younger version who could have a future panning out? Sure, we all know that. It might be a one in four chance of it working, but that ain't bad.

But there is a chance, and having Wilson take Fields under his wing increases that chance.

In the end, it cost nothing. So, all any of us can do is cross our fingers and hope that the unlikely happens. I would think that we all are in that same boat with the same hopes.

What good does the speculation and stating the obvious flaws in Field's game to this point do? So you can say "I told you so'? Well, duh.

If he falls flat on his face and fails who are you telling that to? I don't see anyone saying that he is anything other than a roll of the dice.
It's not really that surprising considering the people that are victory lapping in June are the same ones that still wanted Pickett here :laugh:.

I don't know if Wilson/Fields were the best QB's on the market, but the alternative options (Giving Kirk $45m+...if he even wanted to come here, trading multiple firsts to move up into the top 10 to draft Penix/McCarthy/Nix) were just as unappealing. Getting even league average QB play from this room should be +EV considering how low their cap hits are.

I'm just not sure that the savings we're getting from that are enough to upgrade the rest of the roster into a true contender. Or if that even really matters, since winning in the playoffs seems like 90% a QB competition.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It's not really that surprising considering the people that are victory lapping in June are the same ones that still wanted Pickett here :laugh:.

I don't know if Wilson/Fields were the best QB's on the market, but the alternative options (Giving Kirk $45m+...if he even wanted to come here, trading multiple firsts to move up into the top 10 to draft Penix/McCarthy/Nix) were just as unappealing. Getting even league average QB play from this room should be +EV considering how low their cap hits are.

I'm just not sure that the savings we're getting from that are enough to upgrade the rest of the roster into a true contender. Or if that even really matters, since winning in the playoffs seems like 90% a QB competition.
I don't think any moves that we could have made between last year and this year would have made the Steelers likely Superbowl contenders.

The moves made were the best combination realistically possible. That they do have a chance at all, no matter how minor, after these moves is a minor miracle given what a mess this team was.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad