OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Harris is going to be a notable receiving threat next year, at least more in line with what he was in his rookie year (94 targets), and that's going to take away from his running totals a bit.

Smith used that kind of setup with Bijan and Allgeier in Atlanta last year, where Allgeier was set in the backfield while Bijan was set as a receiver. Bijan had 86 targets last year, I figure we'll be seeing setups with Harris as a receiver and Warren in the backfield fairly regularly. If Smith runs it at a similar level to what he did in Atlanta, Harris and Warren will both be around 200 carries while Harris will get a bunch of receiving targets as well.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Heyward and Freiermuth are two guys that need to be focused more. Heyward can really catch the ball. It'd be so nice to turn him into one of these H-backs that can block, run, and receive. It just adds another wrinkle in the offense where the defense doesn't know what is going on when Heyward is there.

I really liked elements of Heyward's rookie season. He's smart, he's tough, and yes he can catch. And I think he could be a great gadget H-back and adequate injury replacement for a receiving TE.

But there's no getting away from his athleticism and the fact he's not really built to be a stand in line TE with the option to block or run a route. Love the option as a TE3 but as a TE2 equal to what Smith had last year with Jonnu Smith?

I think Harris is going to be a notable receiving threat next year, at least more in line with what he was in his rookie year (94 targets), and that's going to take away from his running totals a bit.

Smith used that kind of setup with Bijan and Allgeier in Atlanta last year, where Allgeier was set in the backfield while Bijan was set as a receiver. Bijan had 86 targets last year, I figure we'll be seeing setups with Harris as a receiver and Warren in the backfield fairly regularly. If Smith runs it at a similar level to what he did in Atlanta, Harris and Warren will both be around 200 carries while Harris will get a bunch of receiving targets as well.

I really like Harris' route running for a RB, but I don't think it's Robinson level. Robinson is pretty much a slot WR in his own right. Harris is just good for a RB. If the plan is to treat Harris like Bijan Robinson, I have questions.

You might be right though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really like Harris' route running for a RB, but I don't think it's Robinson level. Robinson is pretty much a slot WR in his own right. Harris is just good for a RB. If the plan is to treat Harris like Bijan Robinson, I have questions.

I don't think he needs to be as good as a legitimate WR like Robinson or Bell were, he just needs to be another receiving option. In most of those setups, I imagine they'll have Pickens, Wilson, Freiermuth and Harris as passing options in those plays. He doesn't need to be a WR level receiving threat, more of just a short yardage receiver than anything else I think.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
He felt jerked around because he’s an entitled little baby. Because his play sure didn’t warrant being guaranteed a damn thing. The guy literally requested a trade because he didn’t think he should have to compete and people think he’s a leader? That’s just wild to me

You’re an idiot. I’d your HC tells you you’re the guy and they’re going to let you develop you’re “entitled” to expect that.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think he needs to be as good as a legitimate WR like Robinson or Bell were, he just needs to be another receiving option. In most of those setups, I imagine they'll have Pickens, Wilson, Freiermuth and Harris as passing options in those plays. He doesn't need to be a WR level receiving threat, more of just a short yardage receiver than anything else I think.

Maybe I'm misreading you but I feel like you're saying we're going to give him serious volume but it doesn't matter if it's seriously good, and I can't get my head around that.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I really liked elements of Heyward's rookie season. He's smart, he's tough, and yes he can catch. And I think he could be a great gadget H-back and adequate injury replacement for a receiving TE.

But there's no getting away from his athleticism and the fact he's not really built to be a stand in line TE with the option to block or run a route. Love the option as a TE3 but as a TE2 equal to what Smith had last year with Jonnu Smith?

I think Heyward needs to carve out a niche like Juszczyk did in SF.

Man does this give me heartburn. Can't help but see Dotson 2.0 and 3.0. I have faith but the history is certainly there.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I think it’s just testing to see how they do. Both of those positions have a faster track to starting than LT with Jones and LG with Seumalo.

Reactions: JTG

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think Heyward needs to carve out a niche like Juszczyk did in SF.

Man does this give me heartburn. Can't help but see Dotson 2.0 and 3.0. I have faith but the history is certainly there.

I caught the tail end of Jim Jensen’s career as a kid.

He was the ultimate utility guy… rb, wr, te and even played a little QB.

Played a decade in the league and did quite well for himself.

Basically was the most versatile player of his generation.

That’s a guy Heyward should try to emulate.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I caught the tail end of Jim Jensen’s career as a kid.

He was the ultimate utility guy… rb, wr, te and even played a little QB.

Played a decade in the league and did quite well for himself.

Basically was the most versatile player of his generation.

That’s a guy Heyward should try to emulate.

100% agree. And I think he can. He can really catch the ball.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think it’s just testing to see how they do. Both of those positions have a faster track to starting than LT with Jones and LG with Seumalo.

Well the thing that is interesting is that they are flipping Fautanu. Fautanu probably would have been ranked ahead of Jones if they were in the same draft. Jones has been working at RT for a year. I just think it kind of shows the belief they have in Jones as a LT to so quickly put a really good LT at RT right off the hop.

This camp will be awesome to watch with this new line.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
You’re an idiot. I’d your HC tells you you’re the guy and they’re going to let you develop you’re “entitled” to expect that.
You’re the one saying the guy who ran away from competition to be a guaranteed backup has good leadership qualities…. That’s what’s idiotic here

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah..no…too old lol

DL was a worse unit without him though.

Not gonna lie, there's times I hear stuff from his podcast and ain't a big fan of his. But, even allowing for father time, the main question should be whether the money makes sense because he played like a guy you'd rather have then not have.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Not gonna lie, there's times I hear stuff from his podcast and ain't a big fan of his. But, even allowing for father time, the main question should be whether the money makes sense because he played like a guy you'd rather have then not have.
That’s not saying much for the DL because Cam wasn’t very good last year, when he played lol…sure, you could say it was groin but what 35 year old football player is going to return even better after that injury…certainly seems like age had something to do with his play…

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

For someone who wasn't sure he'd even want to play this upcoming season I'd be a bit hesitant on offering up a three year deal. It'd likely come up with a better cap scenario THIS coming season but I doubt he has much left. It'd depend on the amount and potential dead cap we'd be on the hook for.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
It kind of goes without saying, but a Heyward extension completely depends on how much he wants. Even at 35 and playing with a bad injury, he was better than Ogunjobi. He was still very good against the run but didn’t have any pass rush juice.

I could still see him being at least a useful rotational piece as he gets even older. And it’s not like this team is stacked with talent at DL.

Reactions: Peat

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don’t know any other NFL team employing a 35-37 aged player lol who’s not a QB or kicker/punter…Cam wasn’t very effective last season…it’s sad that our DL is in such a state that we have to consider signing him for another two seasons lol

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I don’t know any other NFL team employing a 35-37 aged player lol who’s not a QB or kicker/punter…Cam wasn’t very effective last season…it’s sad that our DL is in such a state that we have to consider signing him for another two seasons lol
I realize that shitting on everything Steelers and Penguins that you can is your thing, but this is such a dumb post. Jason Kelce was an All-Pro at age 36 last season. Cam Jordan, Von Miller, Demario Davis, JPP, Trent Williams...there are a lot of active players older than Heyward. The Steelers DL is hardly in the sad state you lol like to lol it to be - Benton was a terrific rookie, Ogunjobi is a solid player, and Cam was still an elite level player prior to getting hurt. If you want to lol about the WR depth or CB depth lol away, but this is a bad post, even for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad