OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Dont panic, they are 2-0!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The highest snap percentage a WR has in an Arthur Smith offense was London in 2022 with 78%. Pickens is pretty much in line with how he’s always utilized receivers so unless he’s told to change, it’s probably gonna continue.

Which wouldn’t be a problem if they had even an average WR2 but…

Reactions: T1K

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Chase has 89% of the snaps this season. Pickens has 76%. Using one week to suggest that Pickens is in line with other elite WRs is basically disingenuous.

Elite WRs almost always average over 80% and many of them are closer to 90%.
Hill has been in the 70s going back when he first joined the Dolphins.

I was just pointing out Chase had an irregularity in his snap count this week, so do you think Bengals fans are freaking out about it?

I believe the sub 70% for Pickens in week 1 is still fresh in peoples minds and in turn are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Absolutely unacceptable starting the season with this group of receivers. Khan got played over Aiyuk. There was no plan B.

Reactions: Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Absolutely unacceptable starting the season with this group of receivers. Khan got played over Aiyuk. There was no plan B.
Here's his test, will he learn from this, realize he got played and humble himself enough to adjust accordingly?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
There’s going to be tons of guys available in a few weeks to trade for. In our division both Higgins and Cooper. In the afc south any wr for Jacksonville or Tennessee not named Thompson. Kupp for the rams

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
There’s going to be tons of guys available in a few weeks to trade for. In our division both Higgins and Cooper. In the afc south any wr for Jacksonville or Tennessee not named Thompson. Kupp for the rams
That doesn't help us now though does it? It should never have gotten to this point.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
They have given Fields what he had in Chicago he had Kmet and Moore. He has muth and Gp here.
We shouldn't be emulating Chicago. This has been an issue since march and it has yet to be remedied. That's unacceptable. Khan has done a lot of good things but on this matter he soiled the bed big time!

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
I don't understand why the Pickens snap thing is such a contentious issue. I think the Bengals have a new OC this year but Chase plays for a McVay tree head coach who uses 3WR formations on probably like 75% of plays. Arthur Smith is closer to the Shanahan mold that use multiple TE's. This basically boils down to his usage of guys like Darnell Washington and MyCole Pruitt. Smith likes condensed formations and bigger bodies for short yardage situations. Other coaches like to spread it out.

If this bothers you... well...buckle up for the next 1-3 years. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the hire but this is just what he does. I don't currently have an issue with it because Pickens only grades out as an average blocker and his talents are better utilizied in the receiving game, where he's participating on nearly 100% of passing plays. He's got the 12th highest target share in the NFL at 28%. In a higher volume passing offense, he'd be putting up elite numbers every week.

Reactions: T1K

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
We shouldn't be emulating Chicago. This has been an issue since march and it has yet to be remedied. That's unacceptable. Khan has done a lot of good things but on this matter he soiled the bed big time!
We are literally rebuilding Fields and treating him like a rookie backup go back and look at the Titans wr room under smith

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't understand why the Pickens snap thing is such a contentious issue. I think the Bengals have a new OC this year but Chase plays for a McVay tree head coach who uses 3WR formations on probably like 75% of plays. Arthur Smith is closer to the Shanahan mold that use multiple TE's. This basically boils down to his usage of guys like Darnell Washington and MyCole Pruitt. Smith likes condensed formations and bigger bodies for short yardage situations. Other coaches like to spread it out.

If this bothers you... well...buckle up for the next 1-3 years. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the hire but this is just what he does. I don't currently have an issue with it because Pickens only grades out as an average blocker and his talents are better utilizied in the receiving game, where he's participating on nearly 100% of passing plays. He's got the 12th highest target share in the NFL at 28%. In a higher volume passing offense, he'd be putting up elite numbers every week.

It's probably less of a conversation if people just go "yeah its low but that's just Smith" rather than "nuh-uh! mid-70s isn't low at all".

And it's also less of a conversation if the Smith multiple TE, big body, run heavy stuff was working. As you pointed out, the run game is 29th for EPA. The pass game is 10th. Of course people are going to be saying "why not pass more". Why not have Pickens put up elite numbers every week rather than waste a few drives trundling around trying to establish the run. Why not try getting creative on disguising run plays as passing plays, passing plays as run plays, and so on to maybe get open things up a bit more. Etc.etc.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Shouldn’t the discussion be taking the light October schedule and actually take the training wheels off Fields to make sure he can feed a 3rd pass catcher instead of complaining Pickens snap percentage

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
It's probably less of a conversation if people just go "yeah its low but that's just Smith" rather than "nuh-uh! mid-70s isn't low at all".

And it's also less of a conversation if the Smith multiple TE, big body, run heavy stuff was working. As you pointed out, the run game is 29th for EPA. The pass game is 10th. Of course people are going to be saying "why not pass more". Why not have Pickens put up elite numbers every week rather than waste a few drives trundling around trying to establish the run. Why not try getting creative on disguising run plays as passing plays, passing plays as run plays, and so on to maybe get open things up a bit more. Etc.etc.
Yeah I hear ya, there's definitely a disparity between what this offense wants to be good at and what they've put on film through 4 weeks. The wasted early down runs are absolutely killing us and setting the offense up in constant 3rd and longs.

Reactions: Peat

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Levis is just Zach Wilson without the mobility. He throws the ball far but that is literally all he can do.

I'm just glad Fields has been good because Yinzers would be insufferable with the "they should have kept Rudolph!" takes if Fields wasn't good :laugh:

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad