OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Dont panic, they are 2-0!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Toe-may-toe tuh-mah-toe imo.

In any case - I thought we saw a step in terms of what Fields can do. I don't know we saw a step in what the team is willing to do on a weekly basis.

As for being a better rushing team... do you mean using Fields more, or using Fields better? Because Fields' 9.3 rushing attempts per game is pretty in line with his last two years in Chicago so I don't know that he can be used more. The 3.2 yards per attempt is, well, bobbins, driven by him only getting 1.8 yards before contact.

Although if we're talking first down, Fields' yards per carry there is way better than the running backs... and interestingly, Harris is way better than Warren and Patterson. Actually, now I look at it, the interesting nit of how much Warren has fallen off is a definite something for the team to solve to get better.

Warren has like 10 carries. Hard to say he's fallen off when he's just not being used.

And Harris, per usual is one of the least effecient backs in the league again. It's insane that he's just been handed the keys for the starting job the past 3 years.

Reactions: Andy99

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Warren has like 10 carries. Hard to say he's fallen off when he's just not being used.

And Harris, per usual is one of the least effecient backs in the league again. It's insane that he's just been handed the keys for the starting job the past 3 years.

He's at 0.1 yards per carry more than Harris. If we're going to complain about Harris then, yeah, Warren has fallen off drastically.

Personally, since I think Harris' performance is more a function of his very inefficient usage rather than his talent, and I think Warren is still getting less carries in brick wall situations, I'm wondering whether Warren just doesn't fit Smith's scheme. We'll get a better idea once his legs are better but his numbers are a huge disappointment.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
He's at 0.1 yards per carry more than Harris. If we're going to complain about Harris then, yeah, Warren has fallen off drastically.

Personally, since I think Harris' performance is more a function of his very inefficient usage rather than his talent, and I think Warren is still getting less carries in brick wall situations, I'm wondering whether Warren just doesn't fit Smith's scheme. We'll get a better idea once his legs are better but his numbers are a huge disappointment.
Warren isn’t healthy the offense identity is to pound the other teams into submission and force them to quit. Harris hammers and soft the defense up and then speed back gets busy.
Teams load up to stop Najaee and GP and force JF to throw it

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I think Warren’s situation is more that he’s been injured than anything else…

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Yeah, started the year with a bad hammy and now he’s dealing with a knee. This just seems like a lost season for him and not really an indictment on his talent/role.

Reactions: Andy99

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Yep, Warren is clearly not healthy. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Ward or one of the other backs get a shot just so we can yet again see how pedestrian Najee truly is when the backup suddenly looks way more explosive.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

When Warren is seeing about a yard less before contact on every carry? And pretty much every runner is seeing contact earlier than they normally have done in their career?

Yeah, the hamstring doesn't help. But this combination of scheme and personnel is getting blown up early at an unacceptable rate.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
When Warren is seeing about a yard less before contact on every carry? And pretty much every runner is seeing contact earlier than they normally have done in their career?

Yeah, the hamstring doesn't help. But this combination of scheme and personnel is getting blown up early at an unacceptable rate.
You’re really underselling how devastating a bad hammy can be for a RB

Reactions: UnrealMachine

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

they are going to have to actually throw to set up the run a few games

Reactions: Peat

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Yeah, started the year with a bad hammy and now he’s dealing with a knee. This just seems like a lost season for him and not really an indictment on his talent/role.
I’m pretty mad at the coaching staff for not shutting him down to start the season. Especially so since they were committed to giving/forcing Patterson carries. While the rushing game is still finding its footing (hello OL injuries), we are spoiled to have 3, 3-down RBs. 2 would have been enough to start the year.

Reactions: T1K

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You’re really underselling how devastating a bad hammy can be for a RB

And you are seemingly completely unwilling to even consider the idea there might be multiple problems.

The numbers state that what's going on in front of them is a problem for every runner on the team. Warren's splits show his usage has changed and he's not getting carries in the situation where he's most effective this season and last - 7-9 yards to go on the down - and he's still very effective. He's still effective as a passing game target too. He's still able to break tackles when he's a receiving target - he just can't do it as a rusher.

That doesn't make sense for it to just be a hamstring problem and he simply can't run as effectively. It would if he was just universally hampered in every scenario but it doesn't. It makes far more sense for there to be schematic and usage problems on top of it. Which is what my eyes are telling me.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
And you are seemingly completely unwilling to even consider the idea there might be multiple problems.

The numbers state that what's going on in front of them is a problem for every runner on the team. Warren's splits show his usage has changed and he's not getting carries in the situation where he's most effective this season and last - 7-9 yards to go on the down - and he's still very effective. He's still effective as a passing game target too. He's still able to break tackles when he's a receiving target - he just can't do it as a rusher.

That doesn't make sense for it to just be a hamstring problem and he simply can't run as effectively. It would if he was just universally hampered in every scenario but it doesn't. It makes far more sense for there to be schematic and usage problems on top of it. Which is what my eyes are telling me.
I’ve mentioned the lack of rushing efficiency as my biggest concern about the offense in plenty of my posts. In your previous post you speculated that Warren isn’t a scheme fit while down playing the injury. I strongly disagree with that opinion.

Reactions: UnrealMachine

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad