OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Dont panic, they are 2-0!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I just could not disagree with this more. There’s more ways to move the ball through the air than just chucking it deep. There are more ways to score points than just chucking it deep. And if we’re saying that we need Fields to work on his weaknesses now so that he could improve for when it matters? That weakness isn’t the deep ball. His weakness is what we saw him do against the Chargers.
.....but they aren't scoring points. Or moving the ball. And they haven't since Ben could chuck it deep.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I just could not disagree with this more. There’s more ways to move the ball through the air than just chucking it deep. There are more ways to score points than just chucking it deep. And if we’re saying that we need Fields to work on his weaknesses now so that he could improve for when it matters? That weakness isn’t the deep ball. His weakness is what we saw him do against the Chargers.

They can work on multiple weaknesses at once. Throwing more deep balls isn't throwing only deep balls. They want to work on finding more ways to get big YAC and get more chunk plays and easy touchdowns, that sounds great too. Fields is 22nd in the league for YAC right now and that's not good.

But having a threatening and active deep ball game generally makes all of that easier, and is generally a good thing, and incorporating it is still a team weakness to work on.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Because by performing the same routine, you don't challenge yourself.

If I bench press X lbs repeatedly and don't even add 5 more pounds do you think I'll ever get stronger?

This is an immutable rule of life. It even goes back to biblical times. Hell Tomlin says it himself: Iron sharpens iron. But what he says and what he does are 2 radically different things (like we don't live in our fears)

Do you want mediocrity by continually doing the same thing or do you want to possibly get better where it means taking a slight step back? I know what Tomlin will do...
The Colts are a bad run defense. It makes perfect sense to feature the running game against them, especially for this team. If they run and it's working I don't see a good reason to go away from it.

Btw, they've done more each game and when the running game wasn't working last game Fields threw more.

I guess unfortunate isn't the right word, but this is in the context of people wanting a more aggressive offense.

And I kind of agree that asking Fields to drop back and pass 45 times is probably a recipe for disaster with the way this team is constructed.

We'll see what happens when this team goes down by 2+ scores early in a game and is required to take more risk.
I don't mind a more aggressive offense but I don't want it to be dumb. If you're facing a bad run defense with a team built on the run, then you ought to feature the running game. Establishing that is the best thing for Fields and will allow for more aggression in the passing game.

Reactions: Factorial

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
.....but they aren't scoring points. Or moving the ball. And they haven't since Ben could chuck it deep.

It’s been 3 games :laugh:

And we just saw good progress against the Chargers. I don’t know. I just didn’t expect a team with a new OC, new QB, multiple new linemen (with multiple injuries on the line), and no WR2 to come out firing on all cylinders.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
It’s been 3 games :laugh:

And we just saw good progress against the Chargers. I don’t know. I just didn’t expect a team with a new OC, new QB, multiple new linemen (with multiple injuries on the line), and no WR2 to come out firing on all cylinders.
It hasn't been, though. It's been over 5 years of this same limp dick, just don't turn the ball over mindset. This isn't a matter of implementing a new offense and just not firing on all cylinders yet. It's a matter of them not trying to be even remotely aggressive. It looks 'better' because Smith isn't a moron like Canada, but that doesn't mean it's 'good' or even 'good enough'.

I'd love to be wrong. It's all I've been saying for like 5 years now. I just don't understand how someone who has followed this team with this head coach hasn't picked up on the patterns yet.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The Colts are a bad run defense. It makes perfect sense to feature the running game against them, especially for this team. If they run and it's working I don't see a good reason to go away from it.
They've given up the second most rushing yards, but they are actually middle of the pack in terms on Y/C.

They're the Najee Harris of defenses.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
The Steelers are controlling time of possession. To me, that’s more important than even gaining yardage is. I read that at this point last year the defense was on the field for an additional 60+ snaps. That’s insane and a big reason they grew tired by the end of games.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
It hasn't been, though. It's been over 5 years of this same limp dick, just don't turn the ball over mindset. This isn't a matter of implementing a new offense and just not firing on all cylinders yet. It's a matter of them not trying to be even remotely aggressive. It looks 'better' because Smith isn't a moron like Canada, but that doesn't mean it's 'good' or even 'good enough'.

I'd love to be wrong. It's all I've been saying for like 5 years now. I just don't understand how someone who has followed this team with this head coach hasn't picked up on the patterns yet.

^ Expecting Dan Fouts passing levels

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Ok, last stat dump but I found this one interesting... Calvin Austin and Van Jefferson have the 2nd and 3rd lowest separation grades in the entire league lol.

This is what would give me some pause about how sustainable this success is for the offense... there hasn't been a ton of "easy" completions where guys are wide ass open. The 3rd and long conversion to Austin up the seam was the only one I can think of from the game on Sunday.

That’s actually pretty wild.

regardless of the scheme/talent chicken or egg argument - being poor in those categories also hurts our RAC, which has been lacking for a while.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
If some stat nerd would like to lay out the avg NFL ppg week by week and compare it over the past 4 seasons it might be interested. I'd theorize that PPG go up as the season goes on bc of familiarity/being in sync.
IIRC, scoring decreases over the course of a season. An offense can be taught how to execute plays more quickly than a defense learns how to play together.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That’s actually pretty wild.

regardless of the scheme/talent chicken or egg argument - being poor in those categories also hurts our RAC, which has been lacking for a while.

I feel like having 2 of the 3 worst WRs for separation in the NFL makes it just a "yes" to that question unless it can be categorically proven one or the other is innocent.

And I gotta say that, much as I appreciate some of the really clever plays Smith has run, some of the stuff he runs is just baffling.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think Tucker and Boswell both are put in the conversation for best kickers of all time. It's sort of glossed over, but they both are truly great at what they do.

No one ever touches Vinny in terms of success and big kicks, but if they can both have longevity, they have a good shot. Both should play at least 6-7 more seasons. As bad as football in general is, the league right now has some unbelievably talented kickers.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I feel like having 2 of the 3 worst WRs for separation in the NFL makes it just a "yes" to that question unless it can be categorically proven one or the other is innocent.

And I gotta say that, much as I appreciate some of the really clever plays Smith has run, some of the stuff he runs is just baffling.
And to add insult to injury, I feel as though Freiermuth has not been as helpful to Fields as I would have liked to see. Big drop last game on a ball that was throw through two tight windows just to smack him. He needs to catch those.

GIve Fields some of those huge chunk plays that were called back...he probably has over 700 yards right now.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
But we're dealing with a lot of moving parts. Whole new QB room with RW not playing, new OC, weak WR room. Injuries and new personnel on the offensive line. There's been a lot of turnover. Logic would suggest barring injury that we should get better as the season unfolds. And undoubtedly we'll need to. But we're off to a good start despite all these variables/obstacles.

You can make that excuse every year. Name 1 team that doesn't have significant offensive turnover either FA or via injury from year to year? It's the nature of the NFL, businesses and life.

And if people are thinking about a potential WR2. There is Adams in LV who probably wants out big time.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
I watched Field's career highlight video last night and I was absolutely floored. I know that highlights don't tell the entire story, but it may be the most impressive one that I've ever watched. If with new coaching he is able to harness more consistency with his dynamic skillset...........dare to dream.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm actually excited for this offense is Artie can Tannehill Fields. Fields is WAY more gifted a passer than Tannehill. If he can play that efficiently but have the talent to break plays open, he very well could be the long term guy here. Fields looks like he appreciates not being the dude anymore for a franchise and just being able to come in and do his thing.

Reactions: T1K

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'm actually excited for this offense is Artie can Tannehill Fields. Fields is WAY more gifted a passer than Tannehill. If he can play that efficiently but have the talent to break plays open, he very well could be the long term guy here. Fields looks like he appreciates not being the dude anymore for a franchise and just being able to come in and do his thing.
This is spot on. Fields said as much in this video — being the “savior” was likely way too much pressure for him. He can grown into a leadership role in time, he’s still very young.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This is spot on. Fields said as much in this video — being the “savior” was likely way too much pressure for him. He can grown into a leadership role in time, he’s still very young.

To me Fields just seems really comfortable with his spot. He seems really comfortable being in this with Russ. Anyone that does anything with social media on the team, Fields is on with them. He seems to be a guy players really like and rally behind. I truly find the dude likable. And I think as he matures the right way, behind good leaders in a strong organization, he can be one of these $250m dudes. He has a long way to go, but he appears to be starting this next chapter the correct way.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
To me Fields just seems really comfortable with his spot. He seems really comfortable being in this with Russ. Anyone that does anything with social media on the team, Fields is on with them. He seems to be a guy players really like and rally behind. I truly find the dude likable. And I think as he matures the right way, behind good leaders in a strong organization, he can be one of these $250m dudes. He has a long way to go, but he appears to be starting this next chapter the correct way.

Yea I agree with this. Let's give JF a ton of credit here. He came in kind of as an afterthought. Looks like he studied and practiced hard and as if he would be the starter. We've heard no animosity between he and RW. If I remember correctly, JF said Wilson was a guy he tried to model his game after.

You can check my post history. I was very meh on JF with a lean towards him not being a fit for this team. I'm not crowning him yet by any stretch since there's a ton of season yet to be played. As I said, I haven't been this excited about the offensive side of the ball in 15 years.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
And to add insult to injury, I feel as though Freiermuth has not been as helpful to Fields as I would have liked to see. Big drop last game on a ball that was throw through two tight windows just to smack him. He needs to catch those.

GIve Fields some of those huge chunk plays that were called back...he probably has over 700 yards right now.

Eh. Right now the best data we've got on adjusted EPA is that Fields is getting a fair shake from the process as there's no adjustment to his EPA. Now that doesn't account for plays getting called back but drops wise, it seems fine. Everyone has them, he's getting hit less than most.

And fwiw, Muth is getting open (at least of last week) and honestly might have more questions for Fields/Smith regarding why he has more or less the same number of targets a game as he did last season than they'd have for him as to why he dropped one catch despite reeling in 12 of his 13 targets so far.

And since I've mentioned Steelers' star receivers not getting much love, I'll point out that right now, Smith is getting less out of Pickens than Canada did, and that's not right. That one's been bugging me a few days.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You can make that excuse every year. Name 1 team that doesn't have significant offensive turnover either FA or via injury from year to year? It's the nature of the NFL, businesses and life.

And if people are thinking about a potential WR2. There is Adams in LV who probably wants out big time.
But an entire new QB room? And a new OC at the same time? THREE NEW offensive lineman? That's a bit extreme. If you can sight that much turnover all on one side of the ball I'd love to see it.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Yea I agree with this. Let's give JF a ton of credit here. He came in kind of as an afterthought. Looks like he studied and practiced hard and as if he would be the starter. We've heard no animosity between he and RW. If I remember correctly, JF said Wilson was a guy he tried to model his game after.

You can check my post history. I was very meh on JF with a lean towards him not being a fit for this team. I'm not crowning him yet by any stretch since there's a ton of season yet to be played. As I said, I haven't been this excited about the offensive side of the ball in 15 years.
i think we need to give rw a lot of credit, because we know our coach. Imo

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Eh. Right now the best data we've got on adjusted EPA is that Fields is getting a fair shake from the process as there's no adjustment to his EPA. Now that doesn't account for plays getting called back but drops wise, it seems fine. Everyone has them, he's getting hit less than most.

And fwiw, Muth is getting open (at least of last week) and honestly might have more questions for Fields/Smith regarding why he has more or less the same number of targets a game as he did last season than they'd have for him as to why he dropped one catch despite reeling in 12 of his 13 targets so far.

And since I've mentioned Steelers' star receivers not getting much love, I'll point out that right now, Smith is getting less out of Pickens than Canada did, and that's not right. That one's been bugging me a few days.
Pickens has had several huge plays called back due to penalties. I think he is playing great and I don't have a problem with how he is being used.

Reactions: T1K

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad