OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Dont panic, they are 2-0!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
No one is doing that, no one in here is saying "Justin Fields is a good starting QB". People are just saying he has played well.

Even in a best case scenario, he's likely only a mid-tier starter that might be on the fringes of the top-10. And that's a super optimistic way of looking at it. If you're going to put Fields on a standard of "if he's not Patrick Mahomes, he's not playing well", literally any QB this team is going to have for likely the foreseeable future is not going to be "playing well" in your eyes.

And yes, I don't even mean that Patrick Mahomes comparison as a hyperbolic representation of what you're arguing. That legitimately seems to be your argument here.
That's not at all my argument, but I'm tired of trying to get it through to you.

Have a good night.

• Haha
Reactions: Night Shift

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Also weird thing about Fields -

He got a really good S2 score and is the highest scorer in the NFL on the AIQ's test for receiving and retaining information. Per the testing, he shouldn't be the "just too slow" guy he was in Chicago or early here. And I saw that a few weeks ago, and kind of shrugged and filed it away, but it does make me wonder that much harder if his problem wasn't really frail confidence and they can clean him up and do the miracle.

I think it was tanked confidence, and the reason I say that is because of the progression we have seen here. Every single week he seems to get a bit ballsier. That Austin hit up the seam I think was a big break through for Fields. He's firing balls through windows. 88 dropped a really great one.

This dude is so wildly talented that someone almost needs to tell him "Your 50% is as productive as most QB's 80%...just stay within these confines and don't do too much."

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think it was tanked confidence, and the reason I say that is because of the progression we have seen here. Every single week he seems to get a bit ballsier. That Austin hit up the seam I think was a big break through for Fields. He's firing balls through windows. 88 dropped a really great one.

This dude is so wildly talented that someone almost needs to tell him "Your 50% is as productive as most QB's 80%...just stay within these confines and don't do too much."

Not gonna lie, I'm none too stoked about the idea of a QB whose confidence has affected him this much. Feels like some MAF level stuff. I don't think he can afford to stay in his confines either. This team wants to be competitive at the top level, it needs Fields to learn how to go balls out safely.

But time will tell there.

Reactions: Night Shift

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
All of these “theories” are nothing more than wild speculation. Nobody actually knows what all combination of factors led to Fields underperforming at the pro level (in relation to his college career and draft positioning). Just like we don’t know which Fields haters on this thread are still hoping he will fail… so they can take a victory lap… on a hockey message board… in the year 2024?!

In the real world people operate under unique time durations to adjust to the pro-level (if they ever adjust at all) for a variety of reasons. Instant success at the pro-level for a QB is not really the norm.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
staying out of those games makes him a good qb. imo

What?

We didn't run very effectively until late. Fields largely carried the offense for three quarters.

It's a small sample size thus far but he's improving each game in a restrictive/conservative approach and making the most of it. His ability to read defenses and quickly go through his progressions his better than advertised.

He has a near zero ability to read a defense lol

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
What?

Then you're disagreeing with Matt Williamson. No offense but I'll defer to his knowledge and expertise. Belichick also complimented Fields on his ability to quickly check down and read the defense. lol

There's others who complimented Fields as well, and their knowledge varies. Not that I agree with every opinion but there's enough so called experts who seem to see it similarly to what I did.

But you know better than they do, right?

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

Van Jefferson will go down in Steelers lore as yet another guy who is supremely awful at his job, yet still holds onto his starting position for weird reasons: Bush, Harvin, etc.

I just don't get it. He does nothing better than the other guys (Pickens, CA and hell even Scottie Miller)

Blocking? Sucks at it
Separation while route running? Haha
Catching? Well maybe, but he's only been targeted a few times. Which again points to the dude not being able to get separation. He's got like 3 catches in 3 games. Horrific production for a guy who gets ALL the WR snaps in lieu of more talented players.

Now if MT's plan is to hopefully have Wilson at full strength before unleashing him, I could maybe buy that. But I don't think Tomlin thinks that far ahead.
To the topic of other teams. It's a very down year across the board with poor play and injuries impacting the game.

I fully believe the NFLPA has done these guys a disservice. Yes they chopped OTA's and preseason games, but at what cost? Guys are not in "football shape" when Week 1 starts. So those bumps and bruises you typically get against future grocery baggers don't hurt as bad compared to going against legit NFL starters on the other side.

So right now, it's a C/C minus league and we happen to be a B minus team. The only A teams are really Buffalo and KC. And they at least INTEND on scoring points whereas we just hope to score as a by proxy result of possessing the ball. That's a huge philosophical and talent jump to get to their level. Maybe they'll get injuries to even the talent playing field, but even then they have a strategic advantage vs our dullard of a HC. And we're getting hit with injuries ourselves so maybe that puts us closer to that C tier teams instead of maintaining our B minus status.

Idk...this team loves to run the ball and you have Harris and Warren dinged. Patterson is mediocre. Where is Anthony McFadden nowadays? He barely played at all last year but I thought/think he could contribute.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

I was skeptical of this as well. Chicago Fields was a disaster and that's why I was lukewarm on the signing.

But I've seen Fields get better at this each game as a Steeler. Guess what? It may be a factor of coaching. Chicago Fields was basically: go run around with the ball and occasionally throw it. He was a turnover (fumbles/INT) and sack machine. It seems that team had no direction and I don't think their HC is gonna be there much longer considering they're doing the same thing to C Williams.

Say what you want about A Smith's ground chuck philosophy, but he's a legit NFL OC who knows more about QB's than our last 4 OC's combined. I don't think that's hyperbole. You kind of wonder if Ben and Smith might have been a good marriage, but that's another debate.

In short, I'm giving Smith a ton of credit for Fields' progression. Granted it was a low bar, but Fields has done exactly what has been asked of him so far. So I commend him for this. I think he's graduated middle school. We'll see really quick if he struggles as a HS freshman.

Reactions: Ryder71

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Then you're disagreeing with Matt Williamson. No offense but I'll defer to his knowledge and expertise. Belichick also complimented Fields on his ability to quickly check down and read the defense. lol

There's others who complimented Fields as well, and their knowledge varies. Not that I agree with every opinion but there's enough so called experts who seem to see it similarly to what I did.

But you know better than they do, right?

A 3rd grader on the playground can tell whether or not someone is open. Reading the defense in the NFL is mostly pre-snap reads, recognizing coverages, and anticipating gaps and separation. Fields cannot do these things very well. He didn’t show it at Ohio State, didn’t show it in Chicago, and hasn’t shown it here. Unless he’s found the magic potion for QB play, it’s wishful thinking expecting him to suddenly figure out that part of the game. If this team if ever in a situation that demands Fields take it over and field general the offense to victory, there’s very, very little chance that ends well. Why? He’s simply not that good.

But sure, let’s ignore what’s actually happening in favor of what the media tells us, a media that has been pushing a “Fields is actually good” narrative since arriving in Chicago. Why? Who the hell knows. I find it bizarre.

Last edited:

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I was skeptical of this as well. Chicago Fields was a disaster and that's why I was lukewarm on the signing.

But I've seen Fields get better at this each game as a Steeler. Guess what? It may be a factor of coaching. Chicago Fields was basically: go run around with the ball and occasionally throw it. He was a turnover (fumbles/INT) and sack machine. It seems that team had no direction and I don't think their HC is gonna be there much longer considering they're doing the same thing to C Williams.

Say what you want about A Smith's ground chuck philosophy, but he's a legit NFL OC who knows more about QB's than our last 4 OC's combined. I don't think that's hyperbole. You kind of wonder if Ben and Smith might have been a good marriage, but that's another debate.

In short, I'm giving Smith a ton of credit for Fields' progression. Granted it was a low bar, but Fields has done exactly what has been asked of him so far. So I commend him for this. I think he's graduated middle school. We'll see really quick if he struggles as a HS freshman.

The difference is Chicago treated him as a capable QB that didn’t need a soft padded offense to succeed. Chicago expected him to be a top level player. The Steelers do not. He’s in a kid gloves offense that runs it 35-40 times a game and utilizes a ton of short passes. Fields looks better because he’s playing a watered down version of quarterback.

Is that what Tomlin and Smith actually want? Bringing in Russell Wilson suggests not. But it’s what they’re going with for the time being.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad