Other Sports: The Philadelphia Seventy Sixers 23-24 Season Thread: Punt, Pass, Or Kick? Post Trade Deadline

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Oh ok, I guess there's really no way to rationally discuss this if you think that. It certainly isn't true, by the way

If you want to talk about the hit the depth will take because of that aav, then it's perfectly fair. I say it's worth it, but it's a discussion. If you're worried about health, that's also fair. But there's robust data than anyone has access to which shows this player is a star.

But Jojo even if someone were to worry it's not enough....this is still the move that gets them closest to enough with who is shaking loose via trade and who is already available in UFA. The championship runs through this signing, like Aaron Nola last year. The "is it enough" is honestly a moot point.
Hit to depth? You have to have depth before it can take a hit. We’ve been wasting money on Ben Simmons and James harden for years, guess it’s Paul George’s turn as the player to waste money on.

Reactions: AndHeMissedTheNet

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Is this Embiid or...? Oh wait he's never played 70 games
Exactly, you can’t have multiple players who only play limited number of games. The ones who do have to be amazing when they play. Paul George is not good enough to get a max deal and only play a little over half the games.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
This was the best possible first move, yes. LeBron wasn't leaving. If you prefer Butler or (kinda) Markkanen, I get it. But given that one of those guys was free and the others cost most or all of your watchest, that changes everything.

Now Morey has to build a roster, which is the hard part.
Hard and interesting. Oubre, Gordon, and Drummond so far, let's see what's next!

While we're here, DARKO has him forecasted for the year as the 9th most impactful player in the league.

Wemby is 4th, which made me laugh out loud. Dude's a true alien.
9th most? Only the top 8 deserve maxes. He just missed the cut

• Haha
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Hard and interesting. Oubre, Gordon, and Drummond so far, let's see what's next!

9th most? Only the top 8 deserve maxes obv
I like the Oubre, Gordon and Drummond signings.

Does he define impact as positive or negative? Because using too much cap space for 60% availability can have a massive impact on a team with title ambitions.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Being impactful to a team doesn’t mean it’s going to be a positive impact. Joel Embiid’s injury’s in the playoffs have been the most impactful thing in the Sixers playoff runs of late. I wouldn’t say that’s a positive impact though.

Yes, it's positive. It's a player skill projection metric. Injuries don't weigh into this. Embiid is 3rd for example.

(Wemby is 6th, not 4th. I fat fingered that. My apologies.)

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Being impactful to a team doesn’t mean it’s going to be a positive impact. Joel Embiid’s injury’s in the playoffs have been the most impactful thing in the Sixers playoff runs of late. I wouldn’t say that’s a positive impact though.
Come on man

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
have I missed it somewhere, has there been any news on Buddy Hield from any team?

Nothing. There's a small chance he may have been waiting on the PG signing for cap machination reasons. But mostly there isn't much interest in paying him. He'll either sign cheaply with a good team or take a bit from someone like Detroit who could use some shooting to have a functional offense.

Reactions: Mkoll

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019
Oh, DARKO is an advanced stat. Lol

A stat that doesn’t account for availability, just what they do when, in PG’s case, the coin flip that night has him in the lineup.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Tobias Harris 2024 playoffs: 9 PPG, 7.1 REB, 1.5 AST (eliminated first round against Knicks)
Paul George 2024 playoffs: 19.5 PPG, 6.8 REB, 4.8 AST (eliminated first round against Mavs)

Paul George is replacing Tobias Harris.

Reactions: Embiid and Tripod

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Oh, DARKO is an advanced stat. Lol

A stat that doesn’t account for availability, just what they do when, in PG’s case, the coin flip that night has him in the lineup.

You called him more name than player. I’m sure the goalposts will move again though. Is what it is.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
So in last season's lineup we have Paul George basically replacing Tobias Harris. Andre Drummond replacing Paul Reed and Eric Gordon replacing Buddy Hield.

Kelly Oubre has re-signed. Lowry may be back on a vet min as additional guard depth. They've added a guard at 16. Need to find a Batum replacement though.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
As cool as it is getting PG, the writing was kind of on the wall.

The real interesting stuff is coming next. Hope Daryl has a couple tricks up his sleeve.

If he can round this team out (big if!), he’s got a lot of apologies coming, myself included. He got off of that Simmons contract for a star and without giving up any distant unprotected 1sts. Then he got off of Harden when he needed to and got picks that went up in trade value today. All of that without losing Embiid’s confidence. Lord knows I have my objections to the guy, but he’s navigated some incredibly difficult waters and come through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad